Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This issue isn’t related only to Model X 2021 and newer. Got the same issue on Model X 90D with latest version installed front drive shafts in the same range speed.
I believe that you are referring to a constant, continual vibration. The one mentioned here is a temporary vibration. Pretty severe for about 1/2 mile after the car sleeps, then completely gone. My 2022 MXP does it every day, my early 2021 MSP never did it.

Reactions: jebinc
I believe that you are referring to a constant, continual vibration. The one mentioned here is a temporary vibration. Pretty severe for about 1/2 mile after the car sleeps, then completely gone. My 2022 MXP does it every day, my early 2021 MSP never did it.
Nope! The same vibration as described in this post. Can reproduce it easily. Visited SC. Has been informed by technician it might be a software problem. We should wait for update!

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
yup. They've done it twice and it's worse on my car now.
Yeah I feel my (untouched 2022) from around 36mph to 50mph (most heavily in the low 40s). It vibrates through the yoke and pedals, and if you know what to listen for in a quiet car you can actually hear the resonance. I feel like Tesla could fix this in software given Track Mode rear bias solves it, but whether they do is anyone’s guess. This 2022 is significantly worse than my 2021 in this regard.

Also, to addend, as a passenger you are incredibly unlikely to ever notice this unless you know exactly of the phenomenon because the yoke and pedals are the most direct communication method of the vibration. As a driver it’s definitely annoying. Come on, Tesla. Help us out here!

Reactions: Eclipso
Glad to see I am not the only one with this issue, my vibration is really mellow in the 40-45mph-ish range so I am not going to push for the shaft replacements since it can make it worse. Here is hoping they figure it out before Elon has a 10th child.
That may be by next week! 🤣

89C26D27-6E22-4AB5-A401-193E48B4D947.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: yerEVan and Eclipso
Yeah I feel my (untouched 2022) from around 36mph to 50mph (most heavily in the low 40s). It vibrates through the yoke and pedals, and if you know what to listen for in a quiet car you can actually hear the resonance. I feel like Tesla could fix this in software given Track Mode rear bias solves it, but whether they do is anyone’s guess. This 2022 is significantly worse than my 2021 in this regard.

Also, to addend, as a passenger you are incredibly unlikely to ever notice this unless you know exactly of the phenomenon because the yoke and pedals are the most direct communication method of the vibration. As a driver it’s definitely annoying. Come on, Tesla. Help us out here!

I think if they did fix it by moving the bias to the rear under light acceleration, we'd lose range. Then they'd be opening themselves up to lawsuits by reducing range after delivering the car. I'd be fine if they just make it an option. Call it "Jon's janky vibration fix"

Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
I think if they did fix it by moving the bias to the rear under light acceleration, we'd lose range. Then they'd be opening themselves up to lawsuits by reducing range after delivering the car. I'd be fine if they just make it an option. Call it "Jon's janky vibration fix"
My suspicion based on nothing but personal feeling is that it only needs an imperceptible adjustment at software level to address it. I like to think it wouldn’t affect range by any tangible amount.

My suspicion based on nothing but personal feeling is that it only needs an imperceptible adjustment at software level to address it. I like to think it wouldn’t affect range by any tangible amount.
Well, I think the quick hack fix is to use the rear motors exclusively at low levels of acceleration. But, I assume they only use the front motor under light acceleration for increased efficiency. So, doing this software hack to cover up a hardware resonance will likely cause a significant range decrease.

There might be a smarter way to do it, but the simple fix would be bad for range.

Still, I'd take it to be done with this crap.

I would go back to lowering links, which solved it for me, except that I can't get the damn SC to fix my janky creaking suspension. Once they fix the creaking noises, I'll go back to lowering links to solve it.

Well, I think the quick hack fix is to use the rear motors exclusively at low levels of acceleration. But, I assume they only use the front motor under light acceleration for increased efficiency. So, doing this software hack to cover up a hardware resonance will likely cause a significant range decrease.

There might be a smarter way to do it, but the simple fix would be bad for range.

Still, I'd take it to be done with this crap.

I would go back to lowering links, which solved it for me, except that I can't get the damn SC to fix my janky creaking suspension. Once they fix the creaking noises, I'll go back to lowering links to solve it.
If it’s just a tiny adjustment in how the front motor is employed it really may have negligible impact on range. My experience driving @jebinc Plaid is that the lowering links don’t eliminate the issue but do minimize it to a noticeable degree. The problem I would have here in Seattle is then the car is too low at the highest level. I came within a 16th of an inch of tearing up my front bumper this past weekend getting out of a driveway. It was so close I had my wife get out of the car and tell me if I was going to bottom out and she made these terrible faces while guiding me out. She couldn’t believe I didn’t scrape. With the links on it would have been a travesty.

If it’s just a tiny adjustment in how the front motor is employed it really may have negligible impact on range. My experience driving @jebinc Plaid is that the lowering links don’t eliminate the issue but do minimize it to a noticeable degree. The problem I would have here in Seattle is then the car is too low at the highest level. I came within a 16th of an inch of tearing up my front bumper this past weekend getting out of a driveway. It was so close I had my wife get out of the car and tell me if I was going to bottom out and she made these terrible faces while guiding me out. She couldn’t believe I didn’t scrape. With the links on it would have been a travesty.
Yeah, it was pretty awful with them on. I scraped the hell out of my front bumper, even being extremely careful and using the highest suspension setting frequently.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG