Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the vibration fix might actually be coming! From Facebook, this person didn’t even mention having a vibration issue, but Tesla has added it to his service visit, and it matches in exact terminology someone else’s service request with their Model X from here:

Could this finally be the fix we’re waiting for? 🫣

@jebinc

I will report back after the SC applies the software update on 11/3. 🤞🏻

The ‘21s don’t have the start up vibration correct? I seriously question if tesla tweaked the motor and/or software. Seems like they do a lot of unannounced revisions.

The ‘23 owners are complaining a new high speed vibration
If you're calling the ~45mph vibration "start up vibration", then absolutely the 2021 models have the problem.

The only possible way this could be a software fix is if they change the torque delivery. I think the problem feels like a manual transmission car that tries to acceleration (even slightly) while in a gear that's too high for the vehicle speed. I suspect that if Tesla changes that torque delivery, it would impact the overall accelration of the Plaid... especially in the 0-60 range where it excels (accels? :D).

Reactions: jebinc
If you're calling the ~45mph vibration "start up vibration", then absolutely the 2021 models have the problem.

The only possible way this could be a software fix is if they change the torque delivery. I think the problem feels like a manual transmission car that tries to acceleration (even slightly) while in a gear that's too high for the vehicle speed. I suspect that if Tesla changes that torque delivery, it would impact the overall accelration of the Plaid... especially in the 0-60 range where it excels (accels? :D).
The start up vibration is different than the 45 mph vibration. The latter is always present whereas former goes away during the drive.

Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc

The 45mph vibration isn’t the start-up vibration. See here, its number 2 in the list.

Reactions: Dameon
Not quite right. There are three vibrations, to recap:

1.) On the 2021, 2022, and 2023 refresh cars, that occurs between about 37-50mph (give or take). This isn’t always there on new cars (wasn’t on my 2021 till 1400 miles) but can be (noticeable on my 2022 from day 1).

2.) On 2022 and 2023 refresh cars (not 2021) a vibration that occurs around the same speed (sometimes a tad lower) that feels a lot like the first vibration above, but is much, much more noticeable. This goes away within a few minutes of driving, but it’s really obvious if you’re paying even slight attention. If this vibration stayed there and didn’t disappear within a few minutes, you’d have a lot more complaints on the forums.

Okay, thanks for the reminder WilliamG. I might have missed your original post.

1 and 2 sound like the same thing except 2 goes away after some driving? So 2021 models have a ~45mph vibration that is always there and 2022+ models have a ~35mph vibration that goes away after a few minutes? Has this been experienced by a high number of 2022+ owners across disparate regions? Ruling out road conditions, weather conditions, tire sizes/brands, etc.?

Okay, thanks for the reminder WilliamG. I might have missed your original post.

1 and 2 sound like the same thing except 2 goes away after some driving? So 2021 models have a ~45mph vibration that is always there and 2022+ models have a ~35mph vibration that goes away after a few minutes? Has this been experienced by a high number of 2022+ owners across disparate regions? Ruling out road conditions, weather conditions, tire sizes/brands, etc.?
2 goes away in a couple of minutes but it’s a more aggressive vibration than 1. Nothing to do with weather or wheel types. 2021-2023 have the always-on vibration.

Reactions: jebinc
I’ve recently put my n2itive lowering links back to factory height and my vibration is actually less noticeable at factory height. So, that strongly argues against driveshaft angle or warped half shafts. I think the vibration is intrinsic to the motor
Spare yourself the time waiting. Get rid of the car like I did and move on.

Tesla will not fix this issue and like others pointed out their service centers do more harm then good when you take your car in. Have a complaint or issue, guess what, no Corporate or PR dept to complain to. They will direct you to the 800 number call center or BAR in Cali. Pathetic business model for a car company and what was once a $150K+ car, but as long as there is a blind demand and unwavering loyalty by the fan boys, they will not shift, until sales slow down and former customers don't repeat the same mistake and buy from another car MFG like myself. Only fix for this would be a class action as I've said before or regulators get invovled. Neither might bode well for owners.

I say this but I would possibly consider the roadster if it comes out before the MC22 or LFA EV or similar coupe EV sport car.

Good luck
well said, the problem is the software. I woke up one day and the vibrations were just there. I drive the car daily and noticed it pretty instantly. I agree the service center has no idea what the solution is yet. Personally I think it was an update in early -mid 2023.
Wouldn’t these issue fall under lemon law ? You have to bring it to the dealer 4 times for the same unresolved issue. Keep all your paperwork. They would have to pay you or buy your out of your past payment. Anyone know ? Thanks