Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point I am of the opinion that the vibration is some sort of initialization of some component. I am thinking ABS module or battery coolant pump running at full tilt to get the flow going. Who knows. They did move the routine further into the drive- it used to be at the very beginning of each drive it is now after about 60 seconds into the drive.
I noticed too that it's slightly later.

Reactions: lightgreen
It could be speed triggered- mine does arrive after about 60 seconds but this is when I go over 30mph so you might be correct. But before it would do it right after the car starts moving at any speed. Good observation.
30ish seems about right in my experience. Though I’ll probably have to wait a few months to say if the threshold varies with temperature

I have a 2022 S plaid. Did it right off and Tesla said we are following it. Not a Tesla response but one member back then said it’s a jell inside the motor. It sounds about right. The jell is used to cool the motor from within. So as it sits overnight it drops as the jell cools off. The next running day it needs to spin to get it spread evenly. My notice was it vibrated for about 5-15 minutes as i add power. Take power off it stopped. After a warmup it stopped all together. Reading we are still having this issue means it must be ok with Tesla. I know, we don’t like vibration of any kind and I’m with you

I have a 2022 S plaid. Did it right off and Tesla said we are following it. Not a Tesla response but one member back then said it’s a jell inside the motor. It sounds about right. The jell is used to cool the motor from within. So as it sits overnight it drops as the jell cools off. The next running day it needs to spin to get it spread evenly. My notice was it vibrated for about 5-15 minutes as i add power. Take power off it stopped. After a warmup it stopped all together. Reading we are still having this issue means it must be ok with Tesla. I know, we don’t like vibration of any kind and I’m with you
That member doesn’t know, so take it with a grain of salt. 2021 Plaids don’t do it.

Yet another one of the “we know why” myths. FYI Tesla service attributed it to my Pirelli Weatheractives tires which is BS since they simply wanted me to go away with this issue and this was a convenient excuse to attribute it to something to achieve that goal.

IMG_2036.jpeg

That member doesn’t know, so take it with a grain of salt. 2021 Plaids don’t do it.
I guess it's a good sign for our reliability that we just don't have many examples of this, but I'd be curious to see if Plaids that had their front motors or inverters replaced in 2022 or later have the vibration now. I could not find any config settings that would explain the vibration, but I do see some evidence that there seem to be two DI variants which run different software. My guess would be one of them was used in 2021.

The only other difference seems to be the switch from Dexron drivecase fluid to EDF2 and now KAF1, but I don't think that's enough to explain such a strong difference in feel.

The motor is cooled with coolant, not gel. If it was something sticky spinning off from a rotor(which makes absolutely no sense), the vibration would gradually decrease over time rather than instantly stopping.