Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning an 1100 mile trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new Model x, 100d owner, and am contemplating a rather long trip for a family reunion over thanksgiving (ok, I want to show the car off, ok?). The trip planner recommends stopping at Mt. Shasta, CA, and charging to 100%, then off to Reno. That's a long way, over the Sierras, and it shows arriving there with 10%. Any tips from other Tesla owners?

Since it sounds like it's your first long trip, plus holiday, you might consider heading down I-5 to Corning and then heading toward Reno that way. Otherwise, if the weather cooperates, just drive a little slower (especially at the beginning of that leg), follow the energy estimator graph, and plan to charge in Susanville or an RV park. It looks like a full day's drive, so leave early and plan dinner in Susanville at the destination charger. Call ahead to make sure they're serving dinner.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
I agree with ReddyLeaf. Don't run your first road trip with a leg that has you planned to come in at 10% unless you want a nervous breakdown. I often make a trip up a mountain here and although the trip planner says x% remaining, we most often get there with x-7% remaining. This is the reason we usually overcharge at our stops. Once you do a run a few times, you would know the difference.

I am not saying that the planning tools, especially the online ones, are inaccurate but it all depends on the weather and your driving style and how fast people drive around you (assuming you want to keep up... ;))

I was just thinking about campground charging. Will the standard 14-50 work or will this need an adapter? Good for the OP to know too.

Since it sounds like it's your first long trip, plus holiday, you might consider heading down I-5 to Corning and then heading toward Reno that way. Otherwise, if the weather cooperates, just drive a little slower (especially at the beginning of that leg), follow the energy estimator graph, and plan to charge in Susanville or an RV park. It looks like a full day's drive, so leave early and plan dinner in Susanville at the destination charger. Call ahead to make sure they're serving dinner.
Good suggestions. I thought about Corning, but it's longer mile wise. Do you think Susanville has any charging facilities? There's no supercharger there. That route would be quicker, if there's a place in susanville to charge.

using 90% battery on a leg is a lot and pushing it. Any kind of unfavorable conditions and you will use a lot more energy and end up cutting it really close. I have done 80k miles on road trips and Supercharged almost 700 times on those trips. I know my car well and what can happen. I would not recommend it to someone on their first road trip. I'd find an alternative route if possible. If not, make sure you drive careful and slowly. Especially low temperatures eat up extra energy.

Range anxiety is a very, very real thing to an inexperienced Tesla owner. My first experience was a 6,000 mile trip in a loaner sedan, the first couple thousand miles was very stressful. Considering you are going over mountain passes and in colder weather, there’s really no way you will get the full range that 90% of your battery would give on flat roads during a summer day with no wind (which is basically what it takes to even begin to get close to the rated mileage). Cold weather will eat up at least 1/4 of your rated range, speaking from experience. I drive a mountain pass 80 miles of interstate round trip every day. Now that it’s winter here in Montana, I’m am losing about 40% of my rated range.

There’s no way I would try a leg of a trip requiring 90% of my battery capacity in the winter over the mountains. I’d be hesitant to do it during the summer on flat roads. Mainly because I don’t wish to drive 55mph (or slower) wearing winter gear wrapped up in a blanket, and I’m sure my passengers wouldn’t enjoy it either. ;)

If you can find an L2 charger along the way and you don’t mind stopping for a couple of hours, then it’s totally doable.

Reactions: Big Earl
Range anxiety is a very, very real thing to an inexperienced Tesla owner. My first experience was a 6,000 mile trip in a loaner sedan, the first couple thousand miles was very stressful. Considering you are going over mountain passes and in colder weather, there’s really no way you will get the full range that 90% of your battery would give on flat roads during a summer day with no wind (which is basically what it takes to even begin to get close to the rated mileage). Cold weather will eat up at least 1/4 of your rated range, speaking from experience. I drive a mountain pass 80 miles of interstate round trip every day. Now that it’s winter here in Montana, I’m am losing about 40% of my rated range.

There’s no way I would try a leg of a trip requiring 90% of my battery capacity in the winter over the mountains. I’d be hesitant to do it during the summer on flat roads. Mainly because I don’t wish to drive 55mph (or slower) wearing winter gear wrapped up in a blanket, and I’m sure my passengers wouldn’t enjoy it either. ;)

If you can find an L2 charger along the way and you don’t mind stopping for a couple of hours, then it’s totally doable.

Great info. I had come to that conclusion, but it's nice to know I wasn't being paranoid. I'll take the long way around!

I'll share with you an important lesson,

- drive as slowly as feels safe, especially on the first 3/4ths of the the long leg,
- prepare your passengers for the same because they won't like the feeling. Ask them to help you plan so they don't just feel annoyed by your desire to test science.
- Don't use your Tesla nav for the entire portion of the trip, but break it down into half segments on the first half an try to beat the numbers, don't listen to your tesla nav on the second part because it will keep trying to reroute you to charge.
- Determine the watts per mile figure you need to hit to get there on EVtrip planner, and print out the steps with wh/mi on each segment, and be sure you beat the wh/mi averages for each segment.
- Remember that if you have a 100D, you only have 91-93KwH of battery pack. Finally, warm the car up before you leave, over inflate the tires by 2 psi, and enjoy the glory that is hypermiling
- use the app inRoute to show you the graphic that tells you the wind direction, elevation, and temperature.... this app is superior to every other app when it comes to hard core hypermiling. Run the app before you leave, make sure you count any wind but a tail wind as bad and modify accordingly.
- If you do all this, you will have earned the respect of all of us.... God Speed.

here is my proudest tesla moment in my model S.... Sweetwater, TX to Santa Rosa, NM, uphill and against the wind in my model S P100D. Then ask Bjorn, "How you like them Apples? I got her numba!"
IMG_4323.jpg

abetterrouteplanner.com shows a (short) refueling stop in Grants Pass, OR. I can't get it to spend more time there, but seems like charging and chilling there for a while would reduce anxiety. But I've never been to any of these places, so....maybe not the route you're going.

I just looked up the route, I think you can do it if you were going by yourself and could preheat and the temps and wind is favorable.... but you'll need several waypoints that you can bail on if you aren't meeting the marks of your safety checks.

You will need to get comfortable driving at the bottom of the battery pack. Challenge yourself to drive with very little charge left, say 1-2%.... now do this uphill.... now do it again, using only your left hand, and blindfolded.... you get my point.... whatever you do, don't lose all power.... the battery will spontaneously combust if it runs out of juice and your family will burn alive, which makes for a very unpleasant family reunion.

The challenge in my estimation, is not the route or the weather because those things are doable, but it's whether you have the will and the smarts (or lack of smarts) to accept this noble challenge WITH occupants.

It is easy to account for a range of physical variables related to temperature, wind and elevation. Similarly, the challenge is not merely conserving extra energy (by not using the lights or music, or while wearing snow pants and thermal undewear after preheating the hell out of your car so you can unplug and immediately get regen).

It is entirely different thing to explain to your family that they all need to urinate into the community hydrapak with a "P" on it while using their flashlights to aim steady. All the while explaining to the kids that Elon would be proud of them for pushing through the extra 50 miles of winter landscape so they can experience the miracle of EV efficiency.... all the while, yelling like a half crazed George Castanza, "Apollo 13! Apollo 13! Daddy said no heater or music!!"

Have I done any of that with my family present? Hell no. They are weak and have frail bladders and far too much of what the lay person refers to as "dignity." But if you have the car to yourself, I will tell you, it's a special special kind of thrill to hypermile.... just make sure you aim when using the hydrapak biobag.

I just looked up the route, I think you can do it if you were going by yourself and could preheat and the temps and wind is favorable.... but you'll need several waypoints that you can bail on if you aren't meeting the marks of your safety checks.

You will need to get comfortable driving at the bottom of the battery pack. Challenge yourself to drive with very little charge left, say 1-2%.... now do this uphill.... now do it again, using only your left hand, and blindfolded.... you get my point.... whatever you do, don't lose all power.... the battery will spontaneously combust if it runs out of juice and your family will burn alive, which makes for a very unpleasant family reunion.

The challenge in my estimation, is not the route or the weather because those things are doable, but it's whether you have the will and the smarts (or lack of smarts) to accept this noble challenge WITH occupants.

It is easy to account for a range of physical variables related to temperature, wind and elevation. Similarly, the challenge is not merely conserving extra energy (by not using the lights or music, or while wearing snow pants and thermal undewear after preheating the hell out of your car so you can unplug and immediately get regen).

It is entirely different thing to explain to your family that they all need to urinate into the community hydrapak with a "P" on it while using their flashlights to aim steady. All the while explaining to the kids that Elon would be proud of them for pushing through the extra 50 miles of winter landscape so they can experience the miracle of EV efficiency.... all the while, yelling like a half crazed George Castanza, "Apollo 13! Apollo 13! Daddy said no heater or music!!"

Have I done any of that with my family present? Hell no. They are weak and have frail bladders and far too much of what the lay person refers to as "dignity." But if you have the car to yourself, I will tell you, it's a special special kind of thrill to hypermile.... just make sure you aim when using the hydrapak biobag.
It's starting to sound like the Vacation of Doom. Does the route go through Donner Pass? If so,....

• Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp

Sounds like the next screenplay for Chevy Chase's next Vacation movie.

Good suggestions. I thought about Corning, but it's longer mile wise. Do you think Susanville has any charging facilities? There's no supercharger there. That route would be quicker, if there's a place in susanville to charge.
Others have given you plenty of good advice, so I won't repeat it. However, what you do depends on you and your family's risk tolerance. I've cut my EV teeth with the 2011 Leaf (70 mi range when it was new) and continue to drive it daily so I'm able to drive without much anxiety. I've only had two moderately concerning drives with the S70D, one with bicycles on the back driving 80 mph against the wind and in the rain (oops, I knew I should have slowed down earlier, but still arrived with 10 mi range), and a 150+ mi leg against 30 mph head/cross wind in a snowstorm (again, 80 mph at the beginning, oops). I always have several backups to reduce risk, each of which will add time (so have some good books/games), but slowing down is always the easiest. You can get amazing range at a constant 40 mph, even in the mountains. Don't listen to folks talking about lousy range in stop-n-go city traffic during the winter (which uses huge amounts of battery to warm up after each stop). Continuous driving at moderate speed, even in winter is completely different. If you start out with a full, pre-warmed battery and cabin, drive continuously until you stop (and then immediately charge), you will keep the battery warm and have better range. If it was me, I'd do a short stop in Grants Pass (85 mi) and pick up coffee at the Human Bean, 120 mi to Mnt Shasta for a long charge (60+min & lunch at Best Western or Rays grocery), then 130 mi to Susanville for an early dinner, then 90 mi into Reno.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't very clear. Yes, Susanville has several 240V Level 2 options (hotel & RV park), just check www.plugshare.com. If you spend a couple of hours charging over dinner, you might get an extra 50-100 mi buffer. For the RV park, take your mobile cord with the 14-50 & 5-15 adapters, plus a good 10 to 12 gauge extension cord. The 5-15 adds maybe 50 mi overnight, 3-4 days for full charge, but helps keep the battery slightly warmer and eliminates vampire loses.

Here's more info:
Susanville traffic on a 4th of July holiday weekend?
Shasta City through Susanville to Reno

Reactions: buttershrimp
I have found the energy prediction graph to be spot on for any given leg in real time driving but not reliable for future planning. For that I would use EVTO with a good estimate of actual cargo weight and the dates of travel check it again if the forecast changes.

Others have given you plenty of good advice, so I won't repeat it. However, what you do depends on you and your family's risk tolerance. I've cut my EV teeth with the 2011 Leaf (70 mi range when it was new) and continue to drive it daily so I'm able to drive without much anxiety. I've only had two moderately concerning drives with the S70D, one with bicycles on the back driving 80 mph against the wind and in the rain (oops, I knew I should have slowed down earlier, but still arrived with 10 mi range), and a 150+ mi leg against 30 mph head/cross wind in a snowstorm (again, 80 mph at the beginning, oops). I always have several backups to reduce risk, each of which will add time (so have some good books/games), but slowing down is always the easiest. You can get amazing range at a constant 40 mph, even in the mountains. Don't listen to folks talking about lousy range in stop-n-go city traffic during the winter (which uses huge amounts of battery to warm up after each stop). Continuous driving at moderate speed, even in winter is completely different. If you start out with a full, pre-warmed battery and cabin, drive continuously until you stop (and then immediately charge), you will keep the battery warm and have better range. If it was me, I'd do a short stop in Grants Pass (85 mi) and pick up coffee at the Human Bean, 120 mi to Mnt Shasta for a long charge (60+min & lunch at Best Western or Rays grocery), then 130 mi to Susanville for an early dinner, then 90 mi into Reno.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't very clear. Yes, Susanville has several 240V Level 2 options (hotel & RV park), just check www.plugshare.com. If you spend a couple of hours charging over dinner, you might get an extra 50-100 mi buffer. For the RV park, take your mobile cord with the 14-50 & 5-15 adapters, plus a good 10 to 12 gauge extension cord. The 5-15 adds maybe 50 mi overnight, 3-4 days for full charge, but helps keep the battery slightly warmer and eliminates vampire loses.

Here's more info:
Susanville traffic on a 4th of July holiday weekend?
Shasta City through Susanville to Reno

Wonderful advice! I've been to Reno along that route with my Audi several times, and was wondering why there's no SC in Susanville. A level 2 option to give me a few insurance miles sounds perfect. This community is wonderful for newbies with Range Anxiety.

Reactions: Dr. J
Wonderful advice! I've been to Reno along that route with my Audi several times, and was wondering why there's no SC in Susanville. A level 2 option to give me a few insurance miles sounds perfect. This community is wonderful for newbies with Range Anxiety.
You and many others would like an SC in Susanville. If enough people drive that way and request it, perhaps Tesla will deliver. Oh, I forgot to mention that all of my EV trips have been without children, which eliminates one concern, and makes my risk tolerance higher. In addition, I travel with a full complement of safety equipment, especially in winter which includes food, water, heavy winter clothes/boots, sleeping bags, shovels, chains, first aid kit, etc. I'm always fully prepared to spend several days if necessary.

You and many others would like an SC in Susanville. If enough people drive that way and request it, perhaps Tesla will deliver. Oh, I forgot to mention that all of my EV trips have been without children, which eliminates one concern, and makes my risk tolerance higher. In addition, I travel with a full complement of safety equipment, especially in winter which includes food, water, heavy winter clothes/boots, sleeping bags, shovels, chains, first aid kit, etc. I'm always fully prepared to spend several days if necessary.

What a thread this has turned into! Luckily, I'll be traveling alone, planning to meet my 4 kids, coming from Southern Cal and Utah, in Moab. I also appreciate the tips about the emergency supplies. Will do. I now feel 100% better, and am actually looking forward to the challenge...

Reactions: Dr. J
What a thread this has turned into! Luckily, I'll be traveling alone, planning to meet my 4 kids, coming from Southern Cal and Utah, in Moab. I also appreciate the tips about the emergency supplies. Will do. I now feel 100% better, and am actually looking forward to the challenge...
You are getting a lot of good advice here, glad you are taking it. :)

Keep in mind that the Tesla car nav only knows about distance and elevation changes. It does not factor in weather: cold, headwinds, rain, etc., and it assumes you travel at the speed limit.

So go via Eureka, Corning, Rocklin or Roseville, and Truckee. Monitor the Energy Graph display in the center screen. You’ll be fine. From one X100D owner to another: you own the finest all-around production car ever made: enjoy the trip! :D