Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Platform bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you went over a speed bump at twice the posted speed limit and expected no problems with a rack that's not rated for off road use? Guess what running over speed bump simulates?:confused:
Thanks for the comment. That’s exactly why I am returning it. While 1upUSA return policy is 60-days, I just want to make sure folks get the appropriate one for their Model Y. I did not realize I oversimplified the purchase when it came to the “off-road use” question posed by 1upUSA: Yes or No.

This thread is perhaps why SUVs have gotten so popular. They can carry more stuff inside.

Warning! The more bikes you hang on the back, the longer your lever will become, and the less weight you can carry. THe 160 lb. limit is VERTICAL weight, not weight hung way out on a lever. That weight restriction is for items mounted close to your rear bumper, not 3' out on a rack.

Add that extra weight, plus the tortional load from the wind at 80 MPH and you have some significant sheer loads.

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK
This thread is perhaps why SUVs have gotten so popular. They can carry more stuff inside.

Warning! The more bikes you hang on the back, the longer your lever will become, and the less weight you can carry. THe 160 lb. limit is VERTICAL weight, not weight hung way out on a lever. That weight restriction is for items mounted close to your rear bumper, not 3' out on a rack.

Add that extra weight, plus the tortional load from the wind at 80 MPH and you have some significant sheer loads.
And why I'm dithering between hauling the bike inside or going for the rack and being able to load the Y with other stuff.

Thanks for the comment. That’s exactly why I am returning it. While 1upUSA return policy is 60-days, I just want to make sure folks get the appropriate one for their Model Y. I did not realize I oversimplified the purchase when it came to the “off-road use” question posed by 1upUSA: Yes or No.
If I do wind up buying a rack, I will keep your test in mind before taking it on the road for real.

This thread is more like the need for the cyber truck!

Kidding aside, the 160 lb. vertical limit is applicable accessories like the Tesla branded hitch rack for bicycles. To be plain and simple to consumer, they state it like so.

01F710B6-650E-4519-A59F-EFCF959EFA51.jpeg

The towing vertical load is different at 350 lb. The presumption is that the ball hitch sits ~1 foot from the bumper being cantilevered much less than a bicycle rack with 3-4 bikes. The bending moment for hitch bike racks are transferred to the hitch whereas the bending moment is not transferred due to the ball. Trailers hitch ball and shorter extension allow the vertical load to be much higher.

5FA65954-8A1A-407D-A0A8-C0F2F0D9A3DB.jpeg

This thread is going to drive me nuts! At least misery loves company. Reading through this thread has explained a lot, so thank you to those who took the time to explain the issues in detail, along with those who shared their experiences.

I am looking at a 4 bike solution for mountain bikes (2 kids). Originally, I was hopeful for a Yakima Fullswing, possible a Thule Apex XT 4 Swing. Rack Attack is recommending the following options:

Thule Apex XT 4
Thule Camber 4
Yakima RIdgeback 4

None of them are swing out. I'm concerned about whether the racks can tilt far enough out of the way to allow for the trunk hatch to open fully.

I've not made a decision yet (partially because they're awaiting a stock resupply).

Reactions: CO_MY
I wanted to post my test results of the hitch system in general with the Model Y, and with the 1upUSA Equipe-D. I will skip the photos. I have photos supporting if needed.

1. Tesla Model Y 165 vertical weight limit for accessories. There is some truth to the limit. Depending on the specific hitch rack, the center of gravity can vary largely. For example, 1upUSA when inserted 1/8” short of the 2” insertion recommendation (the only way it will work before touching the car, in default 700c/29er configuration. Also note that other wheels sizes will not work for the 1st bike position when stowed w/o bikes.) Other carriers top tube mounts hold the bikes far away. For the heavier tray/platform type hitch racks, only 3 bikes meet the Tesla vertical weight limit (Kuat & 1upUSA). The mathematics can be simplified for those not into structural engineering. 1st position 1 bike 1 foot away from hitch = 25 ft-lbs. 2nd position 2 feet away = 50 ft-lbs. Do this for 4 bikes, it is 25 + 50 + 75 + 100 ft-lbs. Simply not including (excluding rack weight for simplicity. If you must know it’s 20 lbs average for rack structure per bike position) the fourth bike position reduces this moment/torque by a whopping 40%!!!. The deflection at the end is a function of the length as well. One could estimate the visible amount of bike movement to be roughly cubic. In other words, a fourth bike is more load, contributes 40% more bending, and is at the end of an ever longer lever/moment arm. The deflection on the end is 40% x 1.x = roughly 50% more deflection witnessed via the rear Dash Cam. All in all the Tesla weight spec governs how much tolerable flex. I did witness this with 188 lbs of load just doing speed bumps in a parking lot.

I then reduced the hitch to carry only 3 bikes. Regardless of this reduction of weight, when on the road (adding deflection in the suspension), it was very clear that cars did not want to follow me closely. 2-3 tractor-trailer distances away. The hitch on the Model Y itself exhibits flex. I inspected the factory hitch it looks stout already, but believe that the stiffness is not enough at the hitch interface. I am confident the Model Y can tow, but the hitch’s ability to take bending loads does not pass my acceptance level. The final straw was 30mph over 15mph speed bumps to a regional park caused wheels on the two of the three bikes to pop off the trays.

2. The Equipe-D is not rated for off-road. Given the vertical deflection, I would avoid the Equipe-D. I believe the wider trays to accommodate fat tire width may be a contributor.

3. Considering rear trunk access is inhibited, I will revert to roof rack systems. I did lose one bike into a garage, so I understand the risk.

4. For platform/tray systems, I recommend a rack that provide a kinematic clamp (at three points) for one wheel and one hold-down for one wheel securing the vertical direction.

So TL;DR
- 4 bikes on a platform rack is too heavy for the tow hitch because it flex's too much
- 2 bikes on a platform rack is fine?

I have a Kuat NV with 2 bikes. I typically carry two mountain bikes which is roughly 30 pounds each. If I'm reading your post correctly, I should be fine?

So TL;DR
- 4 bikes on a platform rack is too heavy for the tow hitch because it flex's too much
- 2 bikes on a platform rack is fine?

I have a Kuat NV with 2 bikes. I typically carry two mountain bikes which is roughly 30 pounds each. If I'm reading your post correctly, I should be fine?
The Kuat NV is a good choice given the recommendations outlined in my post. 1) The rack weight ~50-60 lb. and 60 lb. of bikes plus the water bottles + repair kits will be well below 160 lb. and complies with Tesla Model Y online user guide/manual. 2) The flex is something that will need to accepted. With two bikes the flex from your rear view mirror will be reduced.

I don’t recall what a Kuat NV 1.0 looks like, but will comment on the newer version. With regards to the Kuat NV 2.0, the recommendation of a clamped front wheel (rounded saddle + arm) and clamped rear (strapped) fit my revised criteria when shopping for hitch rack. Particularly the up/down adjustment of the front wheel is particularly welcomed.

Recommendation for 1upUSA users is to fix the arms contact to be above the axle of the wheel being mounted. This is to reduce smashing/crunching the bike together. What happened was over the speed bump the wheels were unweighted and the front wheel turned causing the wheel to slip off the trays. Test config was 700c cyclocross tire, 26” MTB, 24” plus bike. The 26” and the 24” jumped off. One would have adjust for wheel size and position the bikes along the tray methodically.

All-in-all I think you should be good.

If you mean the hitch rack, it's been sold out for a while.
Yakima is believed to be supplying those to Tesla. In a different color scheme, representative models are available form Yakima for both the bike hitch rack and the ski attachment add-on. Likewise, in low supply like everything cycling related during these market conditions.

The design of the MY hitch reminds me of my first hitch for my Bolt EV. It mounted on a single vertical plane and easily got bent after one use. Thanks to this thread, I’ll hold off on the MY hitch.

As for suggestions on a light bike rack... instead of a platform type rack, reconsider a hanging rack, as they are lighter due to having less material.

I have a really cheap one (got it for $15 - used, the all steel version) that has the bikes hanging from the wheels instead of the frame. The lighter weight version has aluminum arms instead of steel and weighs less than 40lbs for the 4-bike version. It’s the Highland / Reese / Drawtite / Rola / Cequent (apparently all the same company) - Sportwing bike rack. The rubber straps securing the wheels are crap and securing the bikes to the V frame of the rack with Velcro is not ideal. I use ball bungees instead for both purposes.

Compared to my other racks that weigh around 100lbs or more in the 4 bike configuration, the Sportwing works great at less than half the weight and most importantly, secures the bikes via the wheels. I really don’t recommend racks that hangs the bikes from the frame as different top tube designs (requiring pesky adapters) and cables/hoses are usually located there (don’t want to damage them).

Almost forgot to mention that most generic hitch/rack locking inserts fit the 2” shank (aka the stinger of the hitch) of a Sportwing rack. This will allow the hitch to be tightened down to the receiver, eliminating play.

I purchased and just received the 1Up rack. I purchased the lightest rack they have, as I carry only road bikes - the 2" Quik Rack Single, plus 2 Add-Ons. The Quik Rack SIngle supports at most two Add-Ons. The Quik Rack Single is 23 lbs, while the add-ons are 18 lbs. So, if I have all three on, the vertical weight of the rack is 23+18+18=59 lbs. That leaves me with just over 100 lbs for three bikes, which should be ample. Even with tools in an under the seat bag, and a pump, the bikes are certainly less than 25 lbs each.

There is a ball in the part of the rack that goes into the receiver. The instructions say that must be 2" in from the end of the receiver. I was able to do that and still have the trays not touch the car when in the vertical, storage direction.
I installed the Quik Rack and 1 Add-On and mounted two bikes, and it seems to work quite well. Here are some pictures.
IMG_2971.jpg
IMG_2969.jpg

David

Last edited: