Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Platooning in my M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
OK, another idea to be shot down

If they get Platooning working on the Semi, and regulations are cleared so that it is legal to drive this way, will there come a time when a Tesla can lead a pack of unmanned cars? Like from the factory to the store?

And, of course, the REAL thing that I want, get the Tesla to follow my RV wherever I go so I can park the camper at the site and then have the Tesla to go to town and sightseeing in. Sure I could put the Tesla on a $7000 car trailer, but then I own a car trailer and have to keep it somewhere, including at the camp site. Not very high tech.

-Randy

the REAL thing that I want, get the Tesla to follow my RV wherever I go so I can park the camper at the site and then have the Tesla to go to town and sightseeing in
+1 to that! If you can't flat tow it, platooning to keep the kW/km down would be ideal.

Up to now I was thinking you could potentially summon it to whereever you are, but you won't get the slipstreaming benefit...

+1 to that! If you can't flat tow it, platooning to keep the kW/km down would be ideal.

Up to now I was thinking you could potentially summon it to whereever you are, but you won't get the slipstreaming benefit...
Cool Idea!
But then you have to stop to charge the car. Am assuming you could find diesel/gas for the RV nearby, but still an extra logistical hurdle.
Unless you are not going beyond the range of the car.

What kind of range do RVs have?

But then you have to stop to charge the car
My retirement RV is decades away - it will hopefully also be fueled by electrons!

As to the question of RV range, on our recent month in one we found that depends hugely on the terrain. They become crazy-thirsty when there are hills or winds, but at sub-highway speeds when their questionable aerodynamics have reduced impact, we were getting around 15litres per 100km in a 6-birth RV based on a Mercedes Sprinter.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW

If they get Platooning working on the Semi, and regulations are cleared so that it is legal to drive this way, will there come a time when a Tesla can lead a pack of unmanned cars? Like from the factory to the store?

And, of course, the REAL thing that I want, get the Tesla to follow my RV wherever I go so I can park the camper at the site and then have the Tesla to go to town and sightseeing in. Sure I could put the Tesla on a $7000 car trailer, but then I own a car trailer and have to keep it somewhere, including at the camp site. Not very high tech.

-Randy
Seems like there will definitely be time for unmanned car packs, I think it was just last week Musk was saying 2 years for full autonomy (hope he's accurate on that).

The RV idea is cool, wouldn't be surprised if they are already planning something like that.

-Randy
Most of it sounds ok, except for the platooning from the factory to the delivery centers. Unless it's close to the factory, no one wants to take delivery of a new car with a couple thousand miles on them.

Most of it sounds ok, except for the platooning from the factory to the delivery centers. Unless it's close to the factory, no one wants to take delivery of a new car with a couple thousand miles on them.

Even a couple hundred is too much. Show me a 2 digit lifetime odometer reading when I'm picking it up, or show me a different car.

My thinking simply getting regulation for FSD is going to be 2 years, but he says he already has the technology for platooning. If they wanna get the ball rolling implement it and get regulations saying it's OK on the cars they are already shipping. Then I can pick up my wife's car at the service center without needing to get a ride, and without having to summon the car which is probably a long way off.

I get the idea that people don't want to have their car have miles on them when they are new, but I think the future of Tesla deliveries could be automated. Wake up and your new Tesla is parked in your front yard...

-Randy

My thinking simply getting regulation for FSD is going to be 2 years, but he says he already has the technology for platooning. If they wanna get the ball rolling implement it and get regulations saying it's OK on the cars they are already shipping. Then I can pick up my wife's car at the service center without needing to get a ride, and without having to summon the car which is probably a long way off.

I get the idea that people don't want to have their car have miles on them when they are new, but I think the future of Tesla deliveries could be automated. Wake up and your new Tesla is parked in your front yard...

-Randy

Would make for interesting times when you need to refuse delivery due to problems.

-Randy

Hypothetically sounds wonderful. In reality it would probably leave a lot of unhappy customers. Even if the car undergoes full inspection before it leaves in the "convoy" what's it going to look like 100's or 1000's of miles later when it shows up for customer delivery? Bug splattered and rock chipped?

As to the idea of having your Tesla following you in your RV it just sounds pretty impractical. You are now using energy to transport two vehicles instead of one along with all of the wear and tear on the Tesla that is in "follow" mode to your RV. Does the convenience of not needing a carry trailer really outweigh all of that?

-Randy
The future may involved automated platooning but it makes much more sense for it to be platooned semis not cars. You can platoon two or three trucks and get a couple dozen cars to their destination, with no miles on them, less energy use, less chance of an accident, and with less general wear and tear on them.

In a world racing toward cars that drive around looking for people to give rides to and other automated transport I am surprised that Elon and I are the ones thinking it's a good thing.

I think being the company that has your car show up at your house, already registered to your phone so you can open it. A video plays on the display that introduces you to the features of your car and can be paused and saved for later so you don't need to sit thru the whole manual on first introduction.

That would really set the delivery experience apart. Sure I can go into the Apple Store to get the new phone, OR I can order it online before it's released and have it delivered on release day. Turning it on moves my phone number to it and begins restoring it from my last phone's backup.

I don't think the future is people holding our hands and removing a few bugs from the bumper. I think I can handle hosing it off, or better yet, pulling off a plastic wrap revealing my pristine new car (or truck). I did like unboxing my new iPhone X.

-Randy

ps. Oh, and yes, platooning behind my RV means having my car sitting there ready to go vs. being up on a trailer that I need to unhook will be worth the pennies in electricity I will be spending to have it follow me to our next campsite. Like all the labor Tesla would save having someone put all the cars up onto a truck to deliver them vs. them driving themselves right off the production line.

Last edited:
-Randy
man up

maxresdefault.jpg

What if your Tesla decides to take the exit ramp instead of following? :p

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
sakimano: That car is too small for me to fit in, If I could get an M3 under my RV I might be interested. Although it takes ALL your basement storage. Where are the water tanks if you have a car under the floor?

arcus: If the car doesn't follow me than Tesla has NOT perfected the platooning capability and insurance will cover it.

-Randy

-Randy
This will happen; Carvana is doing it today...with a car carrier and a human being. Inspect your car online, receive it at home, reject it then or within a few days if there's something you don't like. Your vision is consistent with mine: we will see summoned Teslas (no humans inside) sooner than we will see cars with sleeping drivers in them. That's at the core of the Tesla Network displacing Uber/Lyft...a driverless car shows up in front of you. Hop in, drive it if you like. Get out and the car drives itself away. This is happening SOON. There's no reason to involve Delivery Centers and Tesla employees in golf shirts in the arrival of my new Model 3...it can be car-carried nearby, and then sent to my house driverless (for acceptance or rejection). Sounds a little crazy now, but I believe it will happen routinely before my M3 is out of warranty.