Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playing video on the screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current ICE can play videos on the front screen (DVDs), but only when the car is in "Park". It would be nice if Tesla could somehow enable video on the big screen this way. Sure would be handy when camped out in the car waiting for a charge to complete!

My current ICE can play videos on the front screen (DVDs), but only when the car is in "Park". It would be nice if Tesla could somehow enable video on the big screen this way. Sure would be handy when camped out in the car waiting for a charge to complete!

Yup, all my BMW's can play video, DVD, etc.

The "in park only" feature is easily overridden. :)

So no way to plug in the iPhone and call up a movie/video right now?

Bummer. Was also hoping to use Slingbox off the browser...

This has come up on a few threads, and I'll repeat my point: even if you can't watch videos while driving (perfectly reasonable), sometimes you stop for an hour at a supercharge station and need something to do. I'd like to be able to watch a movie, or an episode of The Daily Show streamed over my lovely 3G connection.

I'm not sure I could deal with watching a widescreen movie or even TV aspect ratio on the 17" display, you'd either have to rotate the playback (and your head) 90 degrees, deal with outrageously large black bars above/below the content, or deal with horrific cropping if zoomed to fill screen. At my age and inclination, I'd either take a nap, surf the web on a laptop, or take a walk and look for any nearby geocaches.

This has come up on a few threads, and I'll repeat my point: even if you can't watch videos while driving (perfectly reasonable), sometimes you stop for an hour at a supercharge station and need something to do. I'd like to be able to watch a movie, or an episode of The Daily Show streamed over my lovely 3G connection.

I'm not sure what your point is even though you're repeating it. The way I read what you just wrote, your point is that you need something to do, and that you'd like to be able to watch a movie or TV Show on Tesla's dime instead of your own (via an iPad or something). Tesla might have disabled video for technical reasons in their browser, but it might be just as likely that until they have data plans in place, they don't want to incur the cost of everybody streaming video. When the have a data plan(s), you might be better off getting an iPad w/LTE anyway, so I say, just get the iPad now.

The screen is certainly big enough to have a usable sized image even with huge black bars on top and bottom. In fact, it would be significantly larger than the image I get when I watch a DVD on the pop up NAV screen in my Mercedes.
Hmm, true, I guess I was thinking full-screen use resulting in tons of wasted space vs just going with the more typical apps sized for half-screen layout.

I'm not sure what your point is even though you're repeating it. The way I read what you just wrote, your point is that you need something to do, and that you'd like to be able to watch a movie or TV Show on Tesla's dime instead of your own (via an iPad or something). Tesla might have disabled video for technical reasons in their browser, but it might be just as likely that until they have data plans in place, they don't want to incur the cost of everybody streaming video. When the have a data plan(s), you might be better off getting an iPad w/LTE anyway, so I say, just get the iPad now.

Presumably you'd have the movies that you wanted to watch already on your iPhone and would just be playing them on the screen. That shouldn't involve anything more than waiting for Tesla to enable the WiFi.

Presumably you'd have the movies that you wanted to watch already on your iPhone and would just be playing them on the screen. That shouldn't involve anything more than waiting for Tesla to enable the WiFi.

That's what I am talking about. All my movies are on my iPhone or iPad. I want to be able to plug in the phone and play my own movies off the phone.

Certainly when I am parked, even though, why shouldn't the passengers be allowed to watch movies while driving?
I don't need nanny Tesla to tell me I can't.

And no, not sideways... Duh. Top or bottom half would be perfectly fine.

That's what I am talking about. All my movies are on my iPhone or iPad. I want to be able to plug in the phone and play my own movies off the phone.

Certainly when I am parked, even though, why shouldn't the passengers be allowed to watch movies while driving?
I don't need nanny Tesla to tell me I can't.

And no, not sideways... Duh. Top or bottom half would be perfectly fine.

It's not nanny Tesla, it's nanny government. Tesla just didn't bother to program the screen to allow video while parked (I'd guess it would be somewhat tricky to program because you would have to ensure to government regulators that every possible video type and source couldn't be played unless in park). I expect it will get done someday, but it's likely not in the top 100 of the todo list :)

It's not nanny Tesla, it's nanny government. Tesla just didn't bother to program the screen to allow video while parked (I'd guess it would be somewhat tricky to program because you would have to ensure to government regulators that every possible video type and source couldn't be played unless in park). I expect it will get done someday, but it's likely not in the top 100 of the todo list :)

Government has nothing to do with Tesla not enabling a video input for those to use when parked. Government only does not want video in motion in the front seat to prevent distracting drivers. Every other car with a media player or RSE will allow you to watch video on the front screen when not in motion.

Government has nothing to do with Tesla not enabling a video input for those to use when parked. Government only does not want video in motion in the front seat to prevent distracting drivers. Every other car with a media player or RSE will allow you to watch video on the front screen when not in motion.
None of those cars have an internet connection. It's much harder to ensure that a video can never be seen by the driver when moving when the source is on-line rather than a DVD.

So when the Fully Autonomous driving mode is released, there really isn't an excuse to allow video playback while in motion (and AP is on). But the practical benefit of allowing streaming video to be displayed while charging seems like a great idea. I am sure they can do this by releasing a more laxed version of the Linux web browser. The next problem will be the data usage on the LTE connection..... So worst case, allow video media that is stored on a USB drive to be played back when the car is not in motion...

i find this crazy on a £100.000 car my bmw i3 had video in motion as standard with a couple of tweeks i could watch it on the move (but not safe) if they want the car to stand above the rest it has to actually be better anyone can make a fast car its the little things that make it special.....

no meely stating video was a standard deal stationary.. and could be enabled for passengers to watch while moving whats odd!!

bottom line is you cant watch it in a £100.000 car even if you wanted to so much for being cutting edge..