TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pleasant Range/DegradationSurprise -- Summer Rally

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ForeverFree, Jul 30, 2016.

1. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Member

Last spring, as my 85D turned one year old, I was slightly disappointed to see degradation appear to accelerate, with displayed range falling almost daily. 90%, which had originally been 243-245, fell to 233 or 234, with 100% barely eking past 260. Roughly 3.5% degradation in the first year and 16,000 miles. Not significantly worse than promised, but a bit of a bummer, nonetheless.

As recommended at annual service, I did a couple of range charge --> 10% cycles and crept back up to 263 or 264. Not terrible.

The big surprise this summer, approaching 20,000 miles, has been that the last range charge was 267 (vs. original of 270), with subsequent daily charges to 70, 80 or 90% all prorating into the 265-268 range.

Warmer temps? (Summer comes late to SoCal, but once it comes, it can be hot.)

Longer (recreational) runs and fewer seven-mile daily work commutes?

Or the latest firmware upgrade? Today, I was puzzled to see that a 75-miles golf commute which usually averages 300 - 320 Wh/mi and 85-90 range miles instead consumed only 288 Wh/mi and 80 range miles. Same speed and AC use as always.

Anyone else experiencing similar "summer rallies"?

• Like x 1
  2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Never kept that close track. However, if it makes you feel any better I just had a couple 100% charges go to 255 miles on my 3.5 year old 43K mile P85. So I wouldn't say the degradation is all that high.

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Flasherz "proved" (correlated) that the Rated Range is directly linked to seasonality. It goes down in the cold weather, and goes back up in the hot weather.

4. David99

David99 Active Member

Interesting. Yes warmer temps definitely helps, but not that much. I have definitely seen range vary over the years. Just as a reference point, my car is 2.5 years old, 83k miles and the degradation is about 6%. It definitely slows down. In the beginning to see a drop quickly, then it will go down slower and slower.

MaxRange Tesla Battery Survey

5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

6. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Member

Up to 268 this morning, having just passed 20,000 miles.

And Wh/mi usage is down about 5%.

Very odd ... but not complaining!