Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please don't do this...(park blocking multiple Supercharger spots)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And a big boo-hiss to the OP for not showing all 10 (!) stalls in the photo. :mad:

If there were only the 5(!) stalls then I'm guessing the perp would simply have pulled up further,

unless there was someone already parked in the far right end bay!!

I've completed 10k miles pulling trailer. Only rarely did I have to disconnect due to usage. Usually a bit of creativity will allow that short cable to reach.

Cheyenne is all nose-in since there were already buried cables along the existing curb when the SC was built. If the plow can't touch the enclosed snow, then just drive alongside and plug in. That's what I did there yesterday due to vehicle sales activity all around the SC zone. Yes, mall owners can lease the parking lot space to 3rd party user, and these leasees will horn in on our hallowed SC turf with impunity. :crying:
--

Last edited:
Bottom line. If you have to park like this because you are too lazy or don't have time to remove the bikes, stay with the car. Anything else is pure selfishness. Too much of that around today IMHO. I have seen several superchargers go from zero to 6 Teslas in 30 minutes.

Early in my days of Tesla ownership, I made a substantial charging/parking faux pas. I left my car plugged into a Blink spot in terminal parking. The quick in/out trip became a trip of 4 days. Someone kindly informed me that I broke protocol. I learned, and I'd like to think I'm a more conscientious charger because of it.

It's commonly said that we judge others by their actions and ourselves by our intent. Ignorance of emerging social norms doesn't make someone selfish or an idiot or a jerk. I try to keep that in mind when I see questionable charging habits. There are plenty of Tesla owners who aren't on the forums, and as far as I know, Tesla doesn't offer owners a primer on charging etiquette.

We need to be patient because the adoption curve is going to be bringing in plenty of people that have no desire to read Tesla forums. And we should be the ones that come up with the social norms of charging. We could start a wiki on the forum that we could eventually offer Tesla as part of their New Owner Information packet.

Early in my days of Tesla ownership, I made a substantial charging/parking faux pas. I left my car plugged into a Blink spot in terminal parking. The quick in/out trip became a trip of 4 days. Someone kindly informed me that I broke protocol. I learned, and I'd like to think I'm a more conscientious charger because of it.

It's commonly said that we judge others by their actions and ourselves by our intent. Ignorance of emerging social norms doesn't make someone selfish or an idiot or a jerk. I try to keep that in mind when I see questionable charging habits. There are plenty of Tesla owners who aren't on the forums, and as far as I know, Tesla doesn't offer owners a primer on charging etiquette.

We need to be patient because the adoption curve is going to be bringing in plenty of people that have no desire to read Tesla forums. And we should be the ones that come up with the social norms of charging. We could start a wiki on the forum that we could eventually offer Tesla as part of their New Owner Information packet.

Beautifully stated.

Wait, I'm confused - what did you do wrong here? What were you expected to do differently? Fly back to unplug and move your car, then go back out to finish your trip? Leave a key with someone, so they can drive in and move the car?

Unless an airport litters the parking lot with 5-15 outlets, odds are pretty good that there will always be a few fully charged cars, plugged in waiting for their owners to return. Not much you can do about it, short of making the spots valet only and having valet's shuffle the cars when full (or plug them in before owners are due to return). The only real way around it is to not plug in if you arrive with enough charge to cover your return trip + vampire losses.

Or is "terminal parking" == "short term parking"?

+1 on the rest

A great alternative to leaving your phone number on the dash is outlined in this thread: New IOS Supercharger App For Model S

I signed up for it and throw a laminated QR placard on my dash whenever charging ANYWHERE (even non-superchargers). Admittedly, I've only received one message about "nice car", but, it really takes the angst out of leaving the car at a charger longer than you need to charge (i.e., 1 hr dinner or something).

This seems to me to be a bit more than breaking protocol, unless you consider people who take up two spots with their BMW "ignorant of emerging social norms":smile: I could see if this guy/gal was from anther planet where people park perpendicular to the lines but come on, when is it appropriate to take up 4 spots??

We need more stalls like this one!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 357
But now the trailer is sticking out into the traffic flow of the parking lot.

Model S wasn't designed for towing, there's no official option for a tow-hitch, and I guess that's why Tesla didn't factor that in to Supercharger layout. Seeing as Model X is going to have tow capability Tesla will have to account for a lot more cars stopping at Superchargers with trailers/horseboxes/kayak racks/bicycles etc attached to the car.

Lol. Only about two feet or so.

Yup two feet more than it should be.

Model S wasn't designed for towing, there's no official option for a tow-hitch, and I guess that's why Tesla didn't factor that in to Supercharger layout. Seeing as Model X is going to have tow capability Tesla will have to account for a lot more cars stopping at Superchargers with trailers/horseboxes/kayak racks/bicycles etc attached to the car.

Completely agree, but unless they start putting stalls in the middle of the parking lot I'm not sure how they are going to get around this issue.

Last edited:
I trust in Tesla to come up with creative solutions, I just hope that it doesn't take 3 years to implement.

As do I, guess we will see what they come up with. More than likely I can see it being one or two "trailer parking" type spaces in the lot. The only thing I wonder is if they could get property owners to sign off on that at every location.

Slightly off the original topic... how important should it be that we can drive in forwards and exit forwards as well? Much like current gas stations, drive-through banks, and so on. As there are more and more Tesla cars on the roads, "lining up" may become more commonplace. This might help with cars that have trailers or bike racks attached.

I just encountered a car (very early vin) that was quite a bit across the line due to a poor/rushed parking job.... On a side note, I've noticed that certain supercharger locations (vacaville is one) are extremely difficult to back into. Everyone takes multiple attempts to be straight. It is quite easy once you know how to use the backup camera (keep the lines of the parking spot on the matching spot on the opposite side of the screen the whole way into the parking spot).

I pulled into the other spot that was paired to the one he was partially blocking. Those were the only spots that didn't have someone already paired to them, and I figured the one partially blocked would be the last one someone would try to park in. This was furthered when the guy who parked on the other side of that spot also parked tight to the line (and he also avoided the blocked spot)

anyway, he showed up as I was leaving, and I addressed the issue this way:

"I want to thank you. You had that spot partially blocked, so I parked in the paired spot and no one else bothered to attempt to park in the one next to yours, which is paired to mine. I didn't have to share a charge the whole time, it was awesome".