Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Help! Drive unit seal not covered under warranty as part of drive unit??

Should this be covered under warranty as it can’t be a wear item if unserviceable??

• Yes

Votes: 113 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New update: just got off the phone with tesla, they checked with their lead tech and another service center location. They are telling me that even if the drive unit failed which it has not. The seals still wouldn’t be covered and I would incur the cost to replace them. We’re at a stale mate. I’ll ask them to escalate the claim. Should I just pay so I can get my car or should I wait?
That makes absolutely no sense, if the drive unit is covered under warranty then so is the seal. Its part of the drive unit!
What’s next you have to pay for the gear oil because that’s not covered under the drive unit warranty? You have to pay for coolant because that’s not covered under the battery warranty?

Ridiculous

New update: just got off the phone with tesla, they checked with their lead tech and another service center location. They are telling me that even if the drive unit failed which it has not. The seals still wouldn’t be covered and I would incur the cost to replace them. We’re at a stale mate. I’ll ask them to escalate the claim. Should I just pay so I can get my car or should I wait?
In case you haven't noticed. Tesla has been denying a lot of claims that should be warrantied. Don't bother with escalation. go straight to arbitration to get results. If you lose arbitration then go ahead a pay for the seals to replaced.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne and croman
If you think you've been absolutely wronged/Tesla is NOT abiding by warranty terms, and that your only option is to pay them to fix/get back on the road? Then assuming you opted out of arbitration, then you can simply file a case in small claims court. Again, I am only suggesting doing this if you truly feel that Tesla is not abiding by contractual terms.

Remind me, is that opting out within 30 days of purchase? Is that all states in the USA? I'm in the UK and wonder if there is anything similar in European wty.

If the OP is going to Arbitration, it may be helpful to print out the page of the Tesla EPC. I am sure it will show the seals as being part of the drive unit, as others have opined...

The website is epc.tesla.com. Should be able to find your drive unit. Ask which seal needs to be replaced. There are two listed in this screenshot.
95065DC1-E958-462A-91D6-84364F72324F.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and aerodyne
I often read through these "new guy" threads who come here with issues and I am pretty dismissive of the attitudes they bring because it usually involves "sue" or "lawyer" or "ALL CAPITAL LETTERS".

SHOULD YOUR STORY BE TRUE
I am 100% in agreement with you on this and Tesla's dodging of this issue is comical. I would file a warranty complaint with the FTC (since Tesla is a company and you're not dealing with a dealership in the state) and additionally: Take the car back/wait for a complaint arbitration resolution OR Pay the $700 and take them to small claims for breach

That would be what I would do. I've been wronged by Tesla several times over many years now, but none so clear cut and stubborn as this

I had rear axle seal leaks 3 times during the first 50K miles all repaired under warranty. Fortunately no new leaks in the last 65K miles.

Each leak would have gone undiscovered had I not been occasionally removing the air dam for inspection or getting my alignment done. Many S's have leaks that owners don't know about because the leak is slow enough to be spread out dramatically by the airdam and never actually drip on the ground.

There's no way that Tesla could claim the owner was negligent for running out of diff oil unless it was already documented that the leak exists and is not repaired for whatever reason (like the owner not willing to pay $700).

Unless have an obvious drip with the air dam on, I'd just steer clear of the whole issue and let the drive unit fail by eventually running out of fluid providing you're not close to the 8 years already.

I have heard drive shafts are not covered by the drivetrain warranty. However, it is clear the seals are part of the drive unit. Agree this is wrong, and you should push back, but in a nice way. Could be the SC is caught in the middle between reality and Tesla management. .

Unless have an obvious drip with the air dam on, I'd steer clear of the whole issue and let the drive unit fail by eventually running out of fluid providing you're not close to the 8 years already.

Pretty sad:( people will have to go this route. Look at car, and be worried to tell Tesla there is an issue because they won't be covered. Maybe that is by design.

Pretty sad:( people will have to go this route. Look at car, and be worried to tell Tesla there is an issue because they won't be covered. Maybe that is by design.
if by design you mean it’s teslas way of trying to reduce their expenses then yes, the question is how long is this going to go on for? How long will customer service continue to suck to please Wall Street?
If you ask me Tesla is playing a short sighted game, they’re screwing over loyal customers and creating a bad reputation for themselves in the name of turning a quarterly profit.

Reactions: outdoors