Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Texas and was told they have to have the car paid for before they can even schedule delivery. Once I linked my account I still had to authorize a withdrawal, Tesla didn't just take it. In my case they had the money weeks before delivery.

I spoke to my service center today about Delivery Day. My payment options have disappeared and my SA told me it would show up 24 to 48 hours before my DD. Which sounds silly because I know people pay weeks beforehand.

Anyway, he kind of pushed me towards paying online. I explained that in the unlikely event that I reject the car or walk away from Tesla all together, I'm not comfortable having my money tied for 30-60 days. He told me to take everything I'm reading online in terms of quality with a grain of salt. While I understand the sentiment, I will 100% be bringing a physical check.

Reactions: NY_Rob
I spoke to my service center today about Delivery Day. My payment options have disappeared and my SA told me it would show up 24 to 48 hours before my DD. Which sounds silly because I know people pay weeks beforehand.

Anyway, he kind of pushed me towards paying online. I explained that in the unlikely event that I reject the car or walk away from Tesla all together, I'm not comfortable having my money tied for 30-60 days. He told me to take everything I'm reading online in terms of quality with a grain of salt. While I understand the sentiment, I will 100% be bringing a physical check.

We have done both processes. When we picked up my MY, in July, I left the balance due on the website and signed over a personal check after I inspected the car. When we bought my wife's MY, she did not have time in her calendar to accept a 9-5 delivery window, so we had to go with the "touchless experience". In order to do that, we had to have the car paid in full before the app would allow her to unlock the car. While it would have been nice to inspect the car before giving them money, we felt it was worth the risk. Her MY was in good shape, a couple of minor things to address, so we decided to accept it without anyone there.

As for the "grain of salt", I have to agree. While it was nice to know what to look for from seeing/reading everyone's experiences, I was totally stressed out on my pickup. I was convinced that I would have received car that looked like crap. Thankfully mine looked great. I only had a few minor things wrong with it, and none of them are ones I would have rejected the car and walked home. I think that knowledge is power and helpful, but it also heightened my stress level and I was very anxious of what I was getting. When we took delivery of my wife's MY, I was much more chill about it, knowing that 99.9% of the issues can and will be resolved.

Of course, your's and other's experiences will be different, but honestly, I kind of wish I hadn't obsessed over reading all of the QC issues. Go to your delivery appointment. If the car is unacceptable, walk away and request a new one. Chances are you are not getting a car that is a piece of junk and anything you identify will be resolved eventually. Is it ideal that a $60k should have to deal with trips back and forth, no; but my boss' F250 (also in the neighborhood of $60k) has gone back to Ford 3 times over the same issue.

Reactions: KyleATMn
I stopped by my local Tesla. They showed me where my vehicle was shipped last Sunday and is on its way to Chicago. They said I can pay using the ACH function after I visually see the vehicle and to upload valid insurance before. They did say that until I paid, the app would not activate to allow connection to the vehicle.

I have delivery scheduled for 9/8 but have never actually spoken to a single person. I just get texts from the same number about delivery but no one ever replies if I have a question. I’m in a situation now where I cannot pay the final balance online. Their service isn’t working with my bank (PNC) even though it shows as an option. They are going to have to accept a personal check from me I guess.

I just took delivery over the weekend. Had everything done in my account ahead of time except for final payment of tax/fees.

The delivery advisor said to take my time looking over the car (it was inside and unlocked). When I was ready just had to upload bank info. When I was done inspecting I told him I did my bank info... he went to his computer to activate the app access which I saw immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
MVPA showed up in my account a week from last Sunday.

Spoke to dealer, they told me it was shipped this past Sunday to Chicago and to expect a text mid next week to schedule delivery. Encouraged me to pay in advance so I “wouldn't delay the delivery process” at my appointment.

MVPA showed up in my account a week from last Sunday.

Spoke to dealer, they told me it was shipped this past Sunday to Chicago and to expect a text mid next week to schedule delivery. Encouraged me to pay in advance so I “wouldn't delay the delivery process” at my appointment.

What would the delay be? The 90 seconds for me to write the check? Plus another minute to activate the phone/car. All the other stuff gets done anyway.

Consider that it is not unusual for a delivery center to process over 100 cars in a day. If everyone decided to pay at the last minute, and it only took 5 minutes to process, that would still add up to 500 minutes (over 8 hours) of delay for the staff.
Imagine if 10 of those cars are returned Tesla will have to spend/waste more time processing those refunds ;). It's not like Tesla refunds it back the next day.

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4 and CO_MY
Consider that it is not unusual for a delivery center to process over 100 cars in a day. If everyone decided to pay at the last minute, and it only took 5 minutes to process, that would still add up to 500 minutes (over 8 hours) of delay for the staff.

Wow, this brought back memories. The worst manager I ever worked for had this mentality at work. He came from UPS and I guess they said stuff like this to the drivers to not make chitchat when delivering packages since they could easily have 100 stops and they could waste an hour of time each day if they took time to make small talk.

I totally get this for somewhere like UPS but we worked in IT and only occasionally had to talk with clients and generally it was expected we would be courteous and not make the client feel like we had better things to do then help them when they needed it. I certainly won’t be paying before I have time to look over the car and make sure it’s acceptable just like most purchases.