Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please! Talk me out of MX Plaid !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate my 23 MXP. Feels cheap, sounds cheap. The doors are an absolute gimmick (and worse on the 23+ models). The novelty wears off after a few months and you wonder why you even did it. The ride is atrocious. It's a little better in "medium" mode however it will not stay in that mode for long car always wants to be in low mode. Wheels feel like they're going to fall off after going over a speed bump. Paid $108k for it then a week later price drops to $89k. List goes on. Tire wear is crazy. The plaid speed is cool to show a friend but i find myself disabling it as the accelerator is too sensitive. No ultrasonic sensors, major downgrade. Never use the rear seats they just take up space (seats 5 & 6).

Not looking to argue - but you asked. Huge regret. I like my Model 3 with it's stalks and better ride. Miss the model Y for it's practicality and will probably get another when the X is gone (non performance model, another gimmick with a crappy ride).

Then you get a loaner X (while in service) and they do NOT age well. The nosiest thing I've ever ridden in. Wind noise from doors, creaks / rattles galore. Mine has already started...

Reactions: youngmcdonald
Facetime me. And I can show you the difference between the plaid and 2019x (and 2016).
The plaid is terrible. They put model 3 interior and hw into a X. Yes, faster entertainment system. But that's it.. Everything else sucks... (The matrix lights actually works great).
They have saved a ton of money on new cars. People don't believe the plaid is the new model.

Reactions: youngmcdonald
ok, ok. All good points.

Tomorrow at around 4:30pm, i have made (one more) ~30 mins demo drive of MX (with 5 seats). I want to get the 3.8 onces more in the Insane mode. Then i'll decide.

Really at this point comes down to 3.8 versu 2.5 (for ~$22K more). I'm discounting 5 seats vs 6 seats since this is irrelevant for this family, as already mentioned the fold down wins. We'll never use the 3rd row.

I did drive between the Insane and Sports. And i need to see what that (gas) pedal sensitivity felt like.

As for the suspension, this is where the wife actually, really like it, going over some crappy local roads to and from schools.

And yes, >55'ish mph, the suspension will always go to Low, and override your setting.

ok, ok. All good points.

Tomorrow at around 4:30pm, i have made (one more) ~30 mins demo drive of MX (with 5 seats). I want to get the 3.8 onces more in the Insane mode. Then i'll decide.

Really at this point comes down to 3.8 versu 2.5 (for ~$22K more). I'm discounting 5 seats vs 6 seats since this is irrelevant for this family, as already mentioned the fold down wins. We'll never use the 3rd row.

I did drive between the Insane and Sports. And i need to see what that (gas) pedal sensitivity felt like.

As for the suspension, this is where the wife actually, really like it, going over some crappy local roads to and from schools.

And yes, >55'ish mph, the suspension will always go to Low, and override your setting.
Since you mentioned suspension, I can tell you that my $49k certified 10k mile GT Performance has a far superior adaptive suspension (and overall ride quality but that’s shape based) than any Model X. And I’ve driven both extensively.

They are not comparable cars, I get it. But the adaptive suspension on Model X isn’t all that great as most make it out to be, and it becomes apparent when you drive other cars with adaptive suspension.

Of course, it’s my personal opinion.

The adaptiv suspension in the X is actually worse then the older cars without. It's hard to explain what's make it so bad.
You should put the wipers on full blast. Just feel how the car rocks from side to side 😂
I think refresh triple motor cars have S suspension parts in the rear. It's so wobbly. If you choose "hard" setting. The car have stiffer rebound, but much softer than older X.
Can't compare this with other brands. They are 10 years ahead (probably because of licensing etc. It's been like that on S. Always 10 years behind Mercedes ( same technology)

Pissing on X’s suspension always has me perplexed. It’s so much better than the Y. Granted I swapped my sway bar with aftermarket and put it in stiff so I never experienced any rear rocking side to side, it’s planted and as compliant as any car of this size I can expect to be, but it’s by no means luxurious or very sporty, just good enough I think

Frankly, MX being out in market from September 2015, to now seem to suggest, to me at least that there "is" market for MX. That's ~9 years. 9 years. With 1 facelift in that span. I don't know Tesla all that well, but that tells me they are doing something right, at least to satisfy the market, with supply and demand for it. I haven't seen BMW go that long in a single model with just 1 mid-cycle refresh. That seem to tell me that MX is, has been a "stable" platform for Tesla and its owners.

As for the impulsive price changes, yes, that sucks. Personally i would not be even looking at MX let alone MXP when MX was >$6 figures.

You should put the wipers on full blast. Just feel how the car rocks from side to side 😂
Anyway, tomorrow i'll make sure to test the above. I haven't used the wipes at all but will tomorrow, at full speed, for sure.

What really blew me away, and yes, i'm a ~60 years old geek, i totally geeked out on FSD. OMG, it was a blast, granted i only used on the freeway. I don't think i can trust FSD on city streets. But the parking worked great, parallel, reverse, etc. despite lack of USS, leveraging just on Tesla Vision. For ~$99/mo though, i'll have to think about that, whether really worth it. But luckily my commute on MX would be ~90% highway and highway'ish. First when car wanted to change lane, that was probably the most freakish, nerve wrecking experience. I'm completely sold on Tesla's "software" and how aggressive it is with OTA upgrades. I just wished BMW did that, half as good as Tesla. I just hate BMW ditching owners after ~3 years or so with new trim and i'm stuck with obsolete stuffs. At least Tesla is taking care of HW3 customers over the HW4 for the FSD support, given they are the one paying the $.

So, by end of tomorrow's more thoughtful demo drive, i'll decided, go with 3.8 and save ~$22K, or pay that extra ~$22K for 2.5. I shall see. Dang, when written like that, $22K, that seem like lot of dough... :(

don't be mid. the plaid has the plaid badge. show the rest of the tesla owners the proper pecking order. pretty much why I am ordering a plaid. also to me its not that much money anyways. poor people should not buy plaid. or buy 200k AP's.

If you have to worry about 22k you are poor. get the regular model x

Reactions: ev919
don't be mid. the plaid has the plaid badge. show the rest of the tesla owners the proper pecking order. pretty much why I am ordering a plaid. also to me its not that much money anyways. poor people should not buy plaid. or buy 200k AP's.

If you have to worry about 22k you are poor. get the regular model x
The preceding was an excerpt from “How to Make Friends and Influence People,” by Arche3 (one of the world’s shortest books, no doubt).

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: mborkow
(with Tesla and non-Tesla fees included)
Downpayment of $47,000
Loan amount of $52,304
Local credit union rate of 5.99%
Term of 60 months
Monthly payment of $1,011.29 (i can live with that, lol) <<------- MX would be at around $600'ish.

"Little" better, with latest $2,000 discount !!!

At least the monthly payment comes "under" a grand. :) Totally as a feel good, i suppose.

Damn, that ~$8K interest though, urgh...

1713592301357.png

Compare to MX,

1713592431059.png

This is going down one way or another by EOD tomorrow...

Can we see additional $3,000 off, to bring back the all time low $89K for MXP !!! come on tesla !!!