Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Tell Me This Isn’t Normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Tesla owner. Model S P100D Raven version. Just picked it up Friday, so I only have a few days with it. It does have HW3 and recently updated to 2019.20.2.1. My commute isn’t more than 12 miles most days. I’ve been home charging. Today the only thing I did different was use a public charger because I stopped at a Starbucks that had one. I don’t think that’s related but it is something different from the past few days.
Anyway I was driving home and engaged the autopilot as I have before. This time the steering is choppy like just to stay in the lane. It also is making turns like it’s unsure. Best I can describe it is taking the turn in increments. Then it starts to drift to the left lane. I take it out of autopilot and the whole computer system seems to freak out.
Steaming radio starts sputtering, the map freezes and thinks I’m two miles behind where I am. I come to a stop light and complete stop and speedometer says I’m going 48. Outside temperature is blanked out. I engage my turn signal and nothing happens on the HUD. Thankfully I could still drive safely. When I got home I rebooted it. Thanks to this forum I know how to do that when these things come up.
Ok, long way to say that if this is “normal” and the answer is just reboot, I certainly don’t hope I’m rebooting my car every 4-5 days. That may have worked with Windows NT servers back in the 1990s but not with a $100K+ car!

On the HUD?

I believe that is what some are calling the dash readout directly forward of the steering wheel. I call it "The Small Display"... but others seem to call it an HUD (Head's Up Display).

Not HUD in the true sense of the term in that you have to look down to see it, but I guess it's an easy way to refer to the screen that is not the large center display... A true HUD displays within your forward field of vision. I had a GMC Acadia that had true HUD... it was kind of cool, but distracting overall.

On the HUD?

Console where the blinker activation would be displayed normally. I’ve seen it referred to as the HUD. Apologies for using the wrong terminology when trying to describe the symptoms that have little to do with whatever you want to call the thing that shows me going 48 at a complete standstill

Attachments

• 8428CB67-991D-46D3-9284-AF8CE7172DB7.jpeg
    8428CB67-991D-46D3-9284-AF8CE7172DB7.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 87
Don’t be afraid to reboot while you’re driving down the road. Won’t affect anything other than the binnacle and the center screen will go dark momentarily. No need to wait until you’ve stopped if you’ve got a half dozen gremlins you’re trying to contend with.

I’ll let a Raven owner judge normalcy level, but IME that’ll happen from time to time. No big deal, and it’s doubtful it will occur every week.

Truly, terminology doesn't matter as long as we understand what the other is talking about. :) No insult intended... just wanted to be sure others understood.

That does suck that you're 'freezing' like that! I would recommend a trip to the SC to have them check it over!

I was going to say that my X was a bit 'wonky' the first 500 miles or so... but it has been mostly flawless since! :D

Reactions: byeLT4
Did this happen after you updated the firmware? Many people recommend rebooting the car after installing a firmware update. On occasion strange things happen after an update that a reboot fixes.

You may also want to toggle ON and OFF your settings (such as, for example, cabin precondition, etc) as sometimes an update changes their setting. People have reported situations in which a setting was indicated to be, for example, ON but the update actually changed the setting to the alternate state (eg, OFF) without changing the displayed state.

Ok, long way to say that if this is “normal” and the answer is just reboot, I certainly don’t hope I’m rebooting my car every 4-5 days. That may have worked with Windows NT servers back in the 1990s but not with a $100K+ car!

You shouldnt have to reboot every 4 to 5 days, but the reality is rebooting is a regular part of Tesla ownership.

Occasionally a software update causes stability issues. A reboot after an update can be helpful in that situation. Some people reboot after every update, but I tend to only do it if I have an issue.

Thanks for the helpful responses. Good point on the reboot after update. Update occurred 3 days ago so maybe it’ll be fine now. Also didn’t know I could reboot while driving. Didn’t want to attempt that, but now I know! We will see what the next few days bring. Other than today’s anomaly (and wrong trim at delivery) I love the car. It’s changed my driving life

This sounds like it could be a potential hardware problem to me.

If the trouble persists after the aforementioned reboot you can use the voice control button to say “bug report” and it will take a snapshot of what’s going on at the moment things get screwy.

You can then take the car to service and tell them that when it was acting up you made a “bug report” and they can retrieve that snapshot and use it in troubleshooting.

Good luck!

That happened to me one time. I was really concerned about the turn signal since I was in a lot of traffic, then I noticed the reflection of my turn signal blinking away on back of the car ahead. It was comforting that the signal was working even though I had no other indication. On the next straight stretch I did a soft reboot and that fixed it.That was several weeks ago and it hasn't happened again.

Console where the blinker activation would be displayed normally. I’ve seen it referred to as the HUD. Apologies for using the wrong terminology when trying to describe the symptoms that have little to do with whatever you want to call the thing that shows me going 48 at a complete standstill

The HUD is one of those enhancement requests lots of people would like Tesla to add to its cars. Tesla also adds new features on ongoing basis unlike other manufacturer. You Raven model is a new one (congratulations BTW) and I was surprised your car might have come with a HUD! No smart comment was intended. Sorry I could not answer the real issue earlier as I got interrupted by something else.

Reactions: byeLT4
yes, unfortunately rebooting is rather common, and the go-to first solution whenever you experience a glitch.
I usually reboot while driving, first I reboot the MCU and when it comes up again I reboot the IC.

I kind of feel like I have the only working Tesla at times :)

In the last year I've rebooted precisely 3 times.

Once so I knew how to do it.

Once after a windscreen change as the auto headlights and wiper were affected (that fixed itself in the end, the reboot was not necessary).

... and once because the IC froze.

That's it, so no, it really shouldn't be 'common' to have to reboot, or at least it isn't for me...

I believe that is what some are calling the dash readout directly forward of the steering wheel. I call it "The Small Display"... but others seem to call it an HUD (Head's Up Display).

Not HUD in the true sense of the term in that you have to look down to see it, but I guess it's an easy way to refer to the screen that is not the large center display... A true HUD displays within your forward field of vision. I had a GMC Acadia that had true HUD... it was kind of cool, but distracting overall.
HUD is never the correct term for the instrument cluster.

HUD is the correct term for displays projected onto the windshield or another piece of glass.

What is a HUD and how does it work? - Airline Ratings
https://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/2012_q1/3/