Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for all of the feedback. As a first time EV owner, I really appreciate the experience available from the forum. Speed of charging is not a major factor because I will have 10 hours of charge every night + access to local super charger when needed. So. this is what I'm considering.

1. Use my existing 10-30 line with a 25' NEMA extension cable that runs from the laundry room to the garage and the Tesla 10-30 adapter with mobile charge cord from Tesla (is this safe?): $100
2. Have an electrician install a 14-50 line much closer to the car and use the Tesla mobile charge cord: $1200
3. Have an electrician install the requisite line to power a Tesla wall connector: $2000

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you for all of the feedback. As a first time EV owner, I really appreciate the experience available from the forum. Speed of charging is not a major factor because I will have 10 hours of charge every night + access to local super charger when needed. So. this is what I'm considering.

1. Use my existing 10-30 line with a 25' NEMA extension cable that runs from the laundry room to the garage and the Tesla 10-30 adapter with mobile charge cord from Tesla (is this safe?): $100
2. Have an electrician install a 14-50 line much closer to the car and use the Tesla mobile charge cord: $1200
3. Have an electrician install the requisite line to power a Tesla wall connector: $2000

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
1) Tesla does not recommend using an extension cord with the Tesla Mobile Connector (or any other brand of EVSE with a plug) to charge the Tesla vehicle. For occasional use such as camping, renting a beach house etc. you could get away with using a high quality extension cord of sufficient gauge, as short possible and still reach the receptacle.

2) The 14-50 will enable you to charge at up to 240V and 40 amps (the Tesla Mobile Connector is limited to 32 amps. Tesla sells a corded Mobile Connector with a fixed 14-50 plug that enables you to charge the Tesla vehicle at 40 amps. There are 3rd party EVSE fitted with a NEMA 14-50 plug that can charge at 40 amps.) The 14-50 receptacle will provide the most flexibility and the ability to change the EVSE in the future as desired without involving an electrician.

3) The cost of installing a dedicated circuit for the Tesla Wall Connector should be the same or slightly less than for the NEMA 14-50 receptacle. It is true that Tesla Wall Connector costs $500 US while the Mobile Connector is included when you purchase the Tesla vehicle. To use the Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle you would only need to purchase the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter from Tesla (currently the price is $45 US.)

The reason the circuit for the Wall Connector could cost less is that you only need 2 wires to instead of 3 wires for the Wall Connector. As an example, for a 50 amp rated circuit 6/2 wire could be used for the Wall Connector. For the NEMA 14-50 receptacle you would need 6/3 wire for a 50 amp circuit. (I'm not suggesting that all installations of the Wall Connector require only 6/2 (6 gauge) wire. 4/2 (4 gauge) wire may be required in most cases for a 60 amp circuit. I only used the 50 amp circuit in this example because 50 amps is the maximum rating of the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and plug to keep the circuit rating and wire gauge used the same.)

Starting in 2017 the National Electrical Code (NEC) was updated, now requires a ground fault circuit interrupt (GFCI) to be installed on circuits with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle used for EV charging. (The NEMA 14-50 receptacle is also commonly used for electric wall ovens and electric ranges, for RV hook ups.) A 50A GFCI circuit breaker costs about $100. For comparison a standard double pole 50A circuit breaker costs $10 or a bit more. So the GFCI circuit breaker will add to the cost of installing a circuit with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle for EV charging.

Finally, currently, in the US you can claim a tax credit of 30% of the cost of installing electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE) and the associated circuit at your home on your federal income tax. The equipment has to be permanently installed so a 14-50 installation would not qualify for the tax credit. For an EVSE installed at your home the maximum tax credit you can receive is $1000. See IRS Form 8911

Last edited:
6/3 wiring is $1/ft more than 6/2. They labor to install the wall connector is maybe 30-45 minutes vs 5 for the outlet. Depending on the length of your wiring, those costs might offset otherwise the wall connector might be a bit higher but $800 seems ridiculous unless he is including the cost of the wall connector.

As was asked before, whether you do HPWC or UMC ahoikd be determined by a combination of cost and how fast you want to charge. Since you just ordered that means LR Y so you can charge up to 48A with the HPWC vs 32A with the UMC. How far do you drive each day, how long do you have to charge? These are all factors in determining what size circuit and type of outlet you should Install.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Option 1 is bad because primarily because NEMA 10-30 receptacles are not grounded. Running an ungrounded extension cord to charge an electric vehicle is very risky.

Option 3 should be priced similarly to option 2, excluding the Wall Connector itself. As mentioned above, 6/2 is less expensive than 6/3. A NEMA 14-50 requires 6/3 as opposed to the wall connector, which only requires 6/2. You could also go with a NEMA 6-50 (welder outlet) that’s wired with 6/2.

IMO, option 3 is the best option, as it gives you more flexibility and reduces risk.

Last edited:
@stevetothink I had an electrician run a line from my panel in my basement on the opposite side of the house, to a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage - about a 40 foot run. I have no idea what sort of cable he used; he knew it was for charging a Tesla and had done a bunch of them. He charged me $800 plus the $50 cost of a permit. Central NJ. I may decide to get the Tesla Wall connector but only if NJ does a planned (up to) $500 rebate for it. Otherwise this gives me plenty of juice charging off-peak.

@stevetothink I had an electrician run a line from my panel in my basement on the opposite side of the house, to a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage - about a 40 foot run. I have no idea what sort of cable he used; he knew it was for charging a Tesla and had done a bunch of them. He charged me $800 plus the $50 cost of a permit. Central NJ. I may decide to get the Tesla Wall connector but only if NJ does a planned (up to) $500 rebate for it. Otherwise this gives me plenty of juice charging off-peak.
Do you get the $500 rebate if you self install? I think so states require the installation be through a licensed electrician with a permit. Whatever that cost is would have to be weighed against your extra 8A of charging speed if you switch to the HPWC.

Do you get the $500 rebate if you self install? I think so states require the installation be through a licensed electrician with a permit. Whatever that cost is would have to be weighed against your extra 8A of charging speed if you switch to the HPWC.
Not sure, as the rebate hasn't been approved, just announced at this point. IF it comes, it won't be until after new fiscal year starts on 7/1. But I would probably have an electrician do it, unless it just plugs into my existing outlet (NEMA 14-50). Frankly, if such a thing exists, I'd rather have that as I'm moving in 4 years and would like to just bring the EVSE with me.

You can wire a plug into your HPWC but it’s not recommended. If you do typical handiwork around the house you would be able to convert your 14-50 to accept the HPWC. The wires that connector to the 14-50 receptacle would be fed into the HPWC and attached to it. If that is beyond your comfort level it should take an hour or less of an electricians time.

Otherwise you’d be looking at the corded mobile connector which has a built in 14-50 and allows up to 40A charging.

You can wire a plug into your HPWC but it’s not recommended. If you do typical handiwork around the house you would be able to convert your 14-50 to accept the HPWC. The wires that connector to the 14-50 receptacle would be fed into the HPWC and attached to it. If that is beyond your comfort level it should take an hour or less of an electricians time.

Otherwise you’d be looking at the corded mobile connector which has a built in 14-50 and allows up to 40A charging.

Indeed. I added a cord and plugged my HPWC into the 6-50 outlet I originally installed.