Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What bothers me is when when anti-science, gun toting, right wing <insert your favorite word> like O'Reilly, occasionally talk sense it is scary and dangerous.

He didn't change his tune because he now suddenly realized how great Tesla and electric cars are, but only because he realized taking a hard line on this issue does not rhyme well even with his own poorly educated, anti-science, gun toting, bible belt right wing constituents

I miss the old Jon Stewart (before he went over seas and all Bill Maher on us). I loved his segments where he would take back to back to back Fox (or MSNBC) clips where they flip flop positions, sometimes even within the same clip.

O is simply another talking head making money off getting people to tune in. What does he call them? Oh yeah, he is a pin head. The only thing to get upset about is that he is more than bright enough to know he is talking out his rear a lot of the time.

Absolutely. He is a smart guy and so is Rush. They all know how to tap the primal fear of his uneducated, bible quoting, gun hugging and rich - lethal combination - followers. No different from religious cult heads.

I could be overly sensitive but it seems that Jon is putting more ego in his work and less thought. Perhaps it is the contrast to John Oliver that shines a spot light on it.

One thing that stands out (and the gun comment reminded me of it) was how Jon was laughing at "gun types" for being all wigged out about having their guns taken away saying that could never happen then, the next week, running a piece on how good it was that Australia was getting rid of all the guns. I say this not to take a stand on how best to deal with gun violence in the US but to point out that Jon could have done a Daily Show Hypocroscy Piece on Jon's own show. That would/could not have been the case a year back. Jon seems to have taken on more of the Maher I'm so smart I know all the answers attitude. Maher is indeed a bright guy but the messenger can indeed rouine any message if they try.

I think I remember the piece but the program in Australia was voluntary if I remember correctly but anyway, he doesn't hide his political leanings but still does a more balanced approach at showing hypocrisy that almost any real news show out there which even he admits is sad.

I agree that being a trader is not an issue. I have been a trader full time for 11 years and have no ideological ties to the instruments I trade. I was merely suggesting that his past is noteworthy as he was deeply involved at the NYMEX and CNBC. CNBC has enormous biases and has become essentially unwatchable over the past 5 years. I think Eric will come around eventually.
not that I am here to defend eric or cnbc but I don't think eric's being a nymex member impacted his cnbc gig, as for the direction cnbc has taken look towards the parent, remember when the current gang in power forced cnbc to have a token liberal on most of the day? weren't you impressed with howard dean and what he had to offer? he added a lot of insight to the machinations of the marketplaces

- - - Updated - - -

I think I remember the piece but the program in Australia was voluntary if I remember correctly .

WARNING: WAY OFF TOPIC

for the sake of accuracy you didn't remember correctly, it was forced confiscation of all guns by the government. go find an aussie see how they feel about it, like here in the US the urbanized person is agnostic to approving while the rural types are totally against the gun bans

The forced confiscation was what I remembered which was diametrically opposed to Stewart's previous show where he flat stated that gun enthusiasts were nuts for thinking anyone was out "to get their guns".

I most certainly agree that Jon tries more than any other "news" outlet which is humorous given it is a comedy show. I was only lamenting his drift from the ability to clearly see hypocrisy towards a willingness to be hypocritical. No one is perfect, least of all me.

it was forced confiscation of all guns by the government.

By 'all guns' you mean semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, and pump shotguns then yes. And allowing a very small set of exemptions of these weapons based on need. And they did pay for them, small consolation I know.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/files/2013/01/bulletins_australia_spring_2011.pdf
Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry I hate misinformation.

EDIT:

I missed a 2003 buyback (I only was aware of the one) that bought back most large caliber target pistols and short barrel pistols. Still not a 'all guns' scenario.
Gun buyback program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
The forced confiscation was what I remembered which was diametrically opposed to Stewart's previous show where he flat stated that gun enthusiasts were nuts for thinking anyone was out "to get their guns".

I most certainly agree that Jon tries more than any other "news" outlet which is humorous given it is a comedy show. I was only lamenting his drift from the ability to clearly see hypocrisy towards a willingness to be hypocritical. No one is perfect, least of all me.
like rush, o'reilly and almost every other media pundit Jon plays to his target audience if he didn't he wouldn't be on TV.
Jon is a brilliant man his formula for success is that he uses his viewers limited understanding of issues to generate his laughs

- - - Updated - - -

By 'all guns' you mean semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, and pump shotguns then yes. And allowing a very small set of exemptions of these weapons based on need. And they did pay for them, small consolation I know.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/files/2013/01/bulletins_australia_spring_2011.pdf
Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry I hate misinformation.
thanks for your clarification, my use of ALL should be considered stricken

like rush, o'reilly and almost every other media pundit Jon plays to his target audience if he didn't he wouldn't be on TV.
Jon is a brilliant man his formula for success is that he uses his viewers limited understanding of issues to generate his laughs

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for your clarification, my use of ALL should be considered stricken

There is a major difference than "The Daily Show" and shows hosted on Fox, MSNBC, and CNN. The Daily Show is on Comedy Central, and despite using news as fodder, is a Comedy show. The others on so-called 'news' channels are supposedly news and factual shows.

Go watch the Crossfire episodes that Jon Stewart did. He tries to point this out so many times. I think it is sad that some people get their news from "The Daily Show" but it isn't really worse than many shows on so called "News" channels.

you asked for some suess like wisdom?
Bj0XhOQCYAA-hWK.jpg

can you cite supportive documentation for this claim?

Well ok technically I guess Israel is the country most hated on the planet, since all the Moslems hate it even more then they hate USA.
USA is still a world power so that automatically puts it in the spotlight and creates strong emotions around the world. (haters gonna hate)
Most populations in countries have neutral opinions about other countries, because they don't really care.
But the 1.6billion moslems have a quite strong hate when it comes to the word "USA" they connect it with Warmongering etc.
But at the same time most of those Moslems use US product like iPhones, MacBooks, Facebook, Hollywood movies etc. etc. they just don't like to be reminded that its from the same place.

Its all just PR BS, but since this thread is about creating PR with the "Made in the USA" I think on the worldwide scale its counterproductive.

I don't have documentation but like I said, Apple decided to write on the back of every of their iPhones "Designed by Apple in California" instead of "... in USA" and my assumption is that the PR department of Apple has some data that shows clearly that its better.

Please.... They are Muslims not Moslems

Muslims not Moslems...
Well ok technically I guess Israel is the country most hated on the planet, since all the Moslems hate it even more then they hate USA.
USA is still a world power so that automatically puts it in the spotlight and creates strong emotions around the world. (haters gonna hate)
Most populations in countries have neutral opinions about other countries, because they don't really care.
But the 1.6billion moslems have a quite strong hate when it comes to the word "USA" they connect it with Warmongering etc.
But at the same time most of those Moslems use US product like iPhones, MacBooks, Facebook, Hollywood movies etc. etc. they just don't like to be reminded that its from the same place.

Its all just PR BS, but since this thread is about creating PR with the "Made in the USA" I think on the worldwide scale its counterproductive.

I don't have documentation but like I said, Apple decided to write on the back of every of their iPhones "Designed by Apple in California" instead of "... in USA" and my assumption is that the PR department of Apple has some data that shows clearly that its better.

Status
Not open for further replies.