Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sorry for the tesla employees who have to keep apologizing to the world on behalf of that child CEO of theirs.

its how I feel about being a US citizen, having to always apologize to the ROW for our poor president's behavior. the president of the US does not represent most of the sane americans and I can imagine the same is true of elon and his employees.

those that have options to leave the company, probably will. I expect a lot who are mobile who say 'fark it' and just leave the company. if I was working there, I'd be updating my resume now and floating it. the employment options are actually very good in the car business, in the bay area (I'm getting pings all the time by recruiters).

its a hot field and anyone with experience who can spell CAN BUS can find a job in this field.

its like elon is daring his best people to leave him.

wow.

Reactions: israndy
I feel sorry for the tesla employees who have to keep apologizing to the world on behalf of that child CEO of theirs.

its how I feel about being a US citizen, having to always apologize to the ROW for our poor president's behavior. the president of the US does not represent most of the sane americans and I can imagine the same is true of elon and his employees.

those that have options to leave the company, probably will. I expect a lot who are mobile who say 'fark it' and just leave the company. if I was working there, I'd be updating my resume now and floating it. the employment options are actually very good in the car business, in the bay area (I'm getting pings all the time by recruiters).

its a hot field and anyone with experience who can spell CAN BUS can find a job in this field.

its like elon is daring his best people to leave him.

wow.

It is interesting to watch the different takes on reality.

I just read the comments on Electrek for this story and it seems most people are on Elon's side. It was painful to read. They want him out of California now, despite the fact that the vast bulk of Teslas are made here with the support of the Nevada factory. They want him to pick up all the robots and sheet metal stamps and casting machines and move them to Texas, even though there isn't a place there to move them to, and the Gigafactory is 7x further away. They want him to sell his house and move everyone out of California for its treachery. They believe people are itching to move away from all our fancy beaches and mountains and culture. Move away from the aerospace industry and Silicon Valley. Even suggesting everyone should buy a shotgun and move to Texas. Wow. Culture-war much?

Not sure where this sudden support for Elon is coming from, considering you cannot buy a Tesla in Texas. Preppers really seem to love the bulletproof CyberTruck, perhaps that's it. Somewhere on the internet, a new connection is being made, that is getting Elon to say all these things about fascists. Cannot wait to read the report when it comes out, too bad it will be too late for Tesla by then.

We were so close to going back to normal, now this.

Not sure where this sudden support for Elon is coming from, considering you cannot buy a Tesla in Texas.
There's a lot of people who dislike California for whatever reason (damn liberals). I'm sure a lot of them are simply for it for that reason alone. Still weird that you would want to move to a state where you can't directly sell your cars. That said, it seems pretty likely that Texas is a prime target for the next factory in the USA, regardless of what they do in California, given that Texas was in the running when they decided to go with Giga Nevada.

Honestly, as long as Elon remains at the helm, this is the way it's going to be, with regular Twitter outbursts. This is the third (or is it the fourth or fifth or sixth if you count all the COVID-19 tweets?) outburst that has garnered significant negative attention - already had the cave rescue, $420 and now the latest in a series of bad and completely wrong COVID-19 tweets over the past few months.

The last series of tweets fall under the category of "stop acting like a 5 year old" and instead use some tact and learn to bite your tongue and let it go.

The post I made 9 days ago still stands. Except now you can add "I'M LEAVING CALIFORNIA, BUT FIRST I'M SUING" and a whole bunch of other cringy tweets, too (tussling with Robert Reich, a CA Congresswoman and more arguing that the death rate is inflated).

Dude - just drop it. You're hurting your case.

I see the level of discussion has moved into a realm I'm not willing to enter.

My take is this, Elon realizes (in his mind) two things. 1, His pet project is being mismanaged by some tertiary level bureaucrat.
2a, Realistically there is no testing on a scale and accuracy coming in the near term (year). 2b every day that passes Tesla as a car company is being punished. 2c, The effectiveness of isolating the young and fit is doing real harm to the economy (back to 2b).
. postscript: Waiting a year for a vaccine?

old thinking:

fark_nUf5vOWaSEOFH9DOY6iBxZcRdcY.jpg

new thinking:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/06/kawasaki-disease-coronavirus/

Children are falling ill with perplexing inflammatory syndrome thought to be linked to covid-19

we still don't have a good handle on how to deal with this.

I don't see a reason to rush 'back to work' unless we understand things better and can protect people properly.

EVERYONE is taking a 'bath' financially. all boats are not rising in the water (well, some profiteers are, but that's for another thread).

we're all losing ground. it affects us all. the billionaires don't have any more reason to yell than the regular working person; and yet, most working people don't want to rush this before we're ready.

its not just 'old people'. this is world wide and affects everyone. it needs to be taken DEATHLY serious.

work and economy can wait. we're all in this together and we all feel the strain. but there is a time and place for everything.

I will not sacrifice myself to the wall street gods. wont. we have to work this out and there's a lot more work left.

old thinking:

fark_nUf5vOWaSEOFH9DOY6iBxZcRdcY.jpg

new thinking:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/06/kawasaki-disease-coronavirus/

Children are falling ill with perplexing inflammatory syndrome thought to be linked to covid-19

we still don't have a good handle on how to deal with this.

I don't see a reason to rush 'back to work' unless we understand things better and can protect people properly.

EVERYONE is taking a 'bath' financially. all boats are not rising in the water (well, some profiteers are, but that's for another thread).

we're all losing ground. it affects us all. the billionaires don't have any more reason to yell than the regular working person; and yet, most working people don't want to rush this before we're ready.

its not just 'old people'. this is world wide and affects everyone. it needs to be taken DEATHLY serious.

work and economy can wait. we're all in this together and we all feel the strain. but there is a time and place for everything.

I will not sacrifice myself to the wall street gods. wont. we have to work this out and there's a lot more work left.
Sorry but I don't agree.
I'm in "that age group" likely more affected, but we can't shelter in place until this passes by, its here to stay. There is no quick cure, no quick fix.
We have to adjust and move on, not cower in our houses in fear afraid of our friends and family.
I have no intention of dying over it, so I'm taking personal responsibility for my own health. If someone isn't wearing a mask, I wave at them from a distance. I'm wearing my mask because when I sneeze or cough I want to stop spraying a cloud of spray into the world around me. I won't know if I'm infected or not for at least a week or two after I've been walking around - but its MY responsibility to protect others.
Its all about taking personal responsibility for my health and the others around me.
Welcome to the new normal.

for my money, I think its too early to tell if we are going to get a quicker cure or its going to be a long, drawn out thing.

I'm willing to give this more time and I know we are learning more each week. the longer we can delay putting people at risk, the better.

yes, we all take a financial bath. no one wanted this or asked for this, but 'all things in time' and I'm in no hurry to jump to conclusions when we just don't have to, right this moment.

we should be yelling at our governments who are putting us in this no-win situation. they should not be forcing us to choose between making ends meet and tasking health risks. its them that the anger should be directed at, not the ones who want to continue the SIP order and give us all more time to better find a SET of solutions to this crisis.

that BS $1200 check (or whatever it ends up being) is a joke and people should be up in pitchforks-and-fires toward their leaders for trying to buy them off at such an insulting low non-livable amount.

(I bet there's still lotsa money for war and MIL. don't EVER suggest we touch that pile. no sir. holy cow and all)

I'm in "that age group" likely more affected, but we can't shelter in place until this passes by, its here to stay. There is no quick cure, no quick fix.
There is an alternative to sheltering in place forever (not quite, but probably at least 6-12 more months which at least will feel like an eternity), but for whatever reason, we as counties, states and a country have completely failed to take the appropriate action.

People have been saying from the beginning that there is a relatively straight forward way to move forward and at least mostly return to "normal" with minimal risk. Heck, we've seen other countries do it (South Korea is a good example):

Screen, Test, Trace and Isolate

Instead what has happened is everyone went home for a month, then people started getting antsy and screaming "FREEDOM", and now we are slowly reopening things.

And yet it seems that at best some companies have finally gotten the screening part done (yet I suspect most are still weeks away from being ready), testing capacity is still no where it needs to be, tracing still needs a lot more manpower.

Instead of clamoring to reopen, we should be clamoring to get the resources in place to really knock this thing down to a manageable level until a vaccine is developed.

There is an alternative to sheltering in place forever (not quite, but probably at least 6-12 more months which at least will feel like an eternity), but for whatever reason, we as counties, states and a country have completely failed to take the appropriate action.

People have been saying from the beginning that there is a relatively straight forward way to move forward and at least mostly return to "normal" with minimal risk. Heck, we've seen other countries do it (South Korea is a good example):

Instead what has happened is everyone went home for a month, then people started getting antsy and screaming "FREEDOM", and now we are slowly reopening things.

And yet it seems that at best some companies have finally gotten the screening part done (yet I suspect most are still weeks away from being ready), testing capacity is still no where it needs to be, tracing still needs a lot more manpower.

Instead of clamoring to reopen, we should be clamoring to get the resources in place to really knock this thing down to a manageable level until a vaccine is developed.
Yes ... the US is not acting like a top-line first rate country these days. 80,000 dead in the US in the last 2+ months? We are all caught in the middle of a mess. I just wish we could dig ourselves out of it.

for my money, I think its too early to tell if we are going to get a quicker cure or its going to be a long, drawn out thing.

I'm willing to give this more time and I know we are learning more each week. the longer we can delay putting people at risk, the better.

yes, we all take a financial bath. no one wanted this or asked for this, but 'all things in time' and I'm in no hurry to jump to conclusions when we just don't have to, right this moment.

we should be yelling at our governments who are putting us in this no-win situation. they should not be forcing us to choose between making ends meet and tasking health risks. its them that the anger should be directed at, not the ones who want to continue the SIP order and give us all more time to better find a SET of solutions to this crisis.

that BS $1200 check (or whatever it ends up being) is a joke and people should be up in pitchforks-and-fires toward their leaders for trying to buy them off at such an insulting low non-livable amount.

(I bet there's still lotsa money for war and MIL. don't EVER suggest we touch that pile. no sir. holy cow and all)

I'm not qualified to talk to anyone about being isolated for a year. I grew up before videogames and never took the plunge.
For me, enjoying the time I have left is more interesting than video.

300 million people here, test a third of them every day on their way to school/work/grocery store etc. every day. Understand there is a problem with reliability with the tests. Testing in the magnitude needed for a large country and virus shots is a hope. Personally, it's not likely to happen within a year, if then.
A test that is 95% correct finding the virus (negative or positive) is effectively 50/50 on an individual basis in populations that are thought to be lightly infected.

You've got the right idea. What you describe can be done. We're just blowing it big time in the US.

Many people are caught up in the myths of COVID-19 --- let me give some facts:
1.) A mask is only "partial" protection. The masks people are wearing around the streets are really not much help. Even an N95 mask is only partial help.
2.) Many people in their 20's, 30, 40's, etc. can get COVID. It is not a freak occurrence- but rather happens quite a bit. A lot of these people end up in the hospital and the ICU and worse. Even younger people die of it, just not as often. Bad things do happen.
3.) We still don't really know if contracting COVID and recovering will make you immune. It will make some people immune, but possibly not all.
4.) It has been predicted that if we let COVID get totally out of control - that economically we would fare worse than with the various shutdowns we have had since mid-March. Starting up again now will be followed by a shutdown later in the year - perhaps sooner than you think.
5.) This first wave is not the last of it. We will likely have a 2nd wave in fall-Winter (2021) and perhaps another in 2022.
6.) A vaccine is the ultimate beginning of the end. I could take 1 1/2 to 2 years - perhaps longer. It is not easy to make effective vaccines for coronaviruses in general.
7.) (IMO) The best thing we can do is find good treatments for COVID. This could lower the death rate appreciably. Only one has been approved - and it is hard to make. The Federal government has the doses of this anti-viral (donated by the company that made them) -- 200,000 treatment courses, and hospitals are very annoyed that they are not getting what they need. This scenario is not new when it comes to the US government and COVID.

I wouldn't think less of Tesla because of Elon Musk's childish behavior. The Tesla shareholders and board cannot control him. Anyway, Tesla has such a superior product that whenever we get through this pandemic, Tesla will still be way on top.

Reactions: Dave EV
I just read the comments on Electrek for this story and it seems most people are on Elon's side. It was painful to read. They want him out of California now, despite the fact that the vast bulk of Teslas are made here with the support of the Nevada factory. They want him to pick up all the robots and sheet metal stamps and casting machines and move them to Texas, even though there isn't a place there to move them to, and the Gigafactory is 7x further away. They want him to sell his house and move everyone out of California for its treachery. They believe people are itching to move away from all our fancy beaches and mountains and culture. Move away from the aerospace industry and Silicon Valley. Even suggesting everyone should buy a shotgun and move to Texas. Wow. Culture-war much?

Not sure where this sudden support for Elon is coming from, considering you cannot buy a Tesla in Texas. Preppers really seem to love the bulletproof CyberTruck, perhaps that's it. Somewhere on the internet, a new connection is being made, that is getting Elon to say all these things about fascists. Cannot wait to read the report when it comes out, too bad it will be too late for Tesla by then.

If it wasn't for, say, in-person interviews with Joe Rogan it might be easy to think it's a smear campaign including hijaaking of his Twitter accounts. There's really a bizarro Superman thing going on here. Is there a "sympathy crazy" for men with recently pregnant wives or something? Or is that not a thing.

are you implying that he should have gotton pregnant
No. If he (or his minions) could crack that nut, I'd rather they spend that medical mojo on creating a vaccine.

are you implying that she should be the one running the company?
No. I do wish J.B. could take the reigns until Elon can go 2 months straight without making a public statement (including tweets) that's offensive to at least 10% of the global population.

Furthermore, neither of them are really qualified to run anything if they intentionally choose a childn's name that has to be explained because it's constructed like a puzzle or encoded message. Sane people worry about picking a name that will have a good nickname that will minimize name-based bullying. This pair chooses a name that is worthy of a comment and footnote. Elon Musk - Wikipedia

When someone asks you your name, it shouldn't become a ploy / cry-for-help for parents that need attention.

I wouldn't think less of Tesla because of Elon Musk's childish behavior. The Tesla shareholders and board cannot control him. Anyway, Tesla has such a superior product that whenever we get through this pandemic, Tesla will still be way on top.

tesla is 'on top' because they were first (in their class); but quite a few are coming along and soon tesla will have real competition. until then, its their game, but this won't always be true. I'm thinking 5 years and less (likely much less) and we'll see some real other vendor choices.

tesla makes some good products and has some good ideas, but they are not really all that special. they had a good vision and an early head start but they are not lean anymore; and the small startups -are- lean. they are catching up, quickly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
Status
Not open for further replies.