Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: 3x - 4x mph Refreshed Model S (LR and Plaid) Vibration issue build / VIN ranges

IF you have this vibration, what are your first three (of last six) VIN digits?

• Less than MF432x

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • MF43201 - MF436x

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • MF43601 - MF439

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • MF43901 - MF443

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • MF44301 - MF447

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • MF44701 - MF452

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • MF45201 - >MF455

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 2022 NF series

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I do, 2022 LR with 250 miles on it. Was blaming the winter wheels and tires, and perhaps they're still the problem, but can see my driver side mirror vibrating when accelerating somewhat hard, something my M3P did not do and was smooth. VIN is NF461xxx.
That's a different problem we have... The driver's mirror is loose. So far no one has been able to get that fixed.

That's a different problem we have... The driver's mirror is loose. So far no one has been able to get that fixed.
So I did a few more runs, and there's definitely a rattle noise coming from the front half of the car. It's much more noticeable on the Medium height setting and between 30-50mph. When on low it's mostly vibration which almost feel like traction control, little to no rattle noise

Reactions: jebinc
Do you have the vibration? If so, this article is for you! Be sure to use the “tips” link at the end of the article to register your vibration and concern!

2022 Plaid built 2/14 and I felt the same. very slight vibration felt (no sound at all) on the steering column and ad go pedal at 35mph with very slight acceleration after Regen. I can reproduce it 100% of the time when the car is cold, the crazy thing after 20 min of driving it gets harder to do.

I am still stuck on a 2021 firmware and I am planning to do a test with Track-mode when I get the update in few weeks to push make the car RWD to see if it is a front motor issue.

Based on this and other threads, it appears the likely causes of front vibration in the AWD Model S's are:
- uneven drive shaft lengths
- too sharp drive shaft universal joint angles

If that is true I would think one solution would be drive shafts with tighter universal joint bearing tolerances.
Short of that moving the differential to the center of the car may help :|.

My 2017 Model S 75 obviously has no front motor. I wonder if the rear shafts are the same length, even the same part numbers?

When I was deciding on the 75 verses the 75D, I specifically choose RWD because of the front motor noise (not vibration), just didn't like having that sound in front. Other reasons included only a 0.1 second 0-60 time difference, a lighter more nimble front end, a several hundred pound weight reduction, dislike of torque steer, and no real benefit from AWD (winter tires do 95% of the snow traction needs).

I would very much like to get a Plaid eventually, but not until this front vibration issue is resolved.

2022 Plaid built 2/14 and I felt the same. very slight vibration felt (no sound at all) on the steering column and ad go pedal at 35mph with very slight acceleration after Regen. I can reproduce it 100% of the time when the car is cold, the crazy thing after 20 min of driving it gets harder to do.

I am still stuck on a 2021 firmware and I am planning to do a test with Track-mode when I get the update in few weeks to push make the car RWD to see if it is a front motor issue.
Over time and mileage it will propagate to other speeds and increase in frequency and intensity. Enjoy this “normal” option, provided by Telsa free of charge!

Based on this and other threads, it appears the likely causes of front vibration in the AWD Model S's are:
- uneven drive shaft lengths
- too sharp drive shaft universal joint angles

If that is true I would think one solution would be drive shafts with tighter universal joint bearing tolerances.
Short of that moving the differential to the center of the car may help :|.

My 2017 Model S 75 obviously has no front motor. I wonder if the rear shafts are the same length, even the same part numbers?

When I was deciding on the 75 verses the 75D, I specifically choose RWD because of the front motor noise (not vibration), just didn't like having that sound in front. Other reasons included only a 0.1 second 0-60 time difference, a lighter more nimble front end, a several hundred pound weight reduction, dislike of torque steer, and no real benefit from AWD (winter tires do 95% of the snow traction needs).

I would very much like to get a Plaid eventually, but not until this front vibration issue is resolved.
Seems like your wait for a Plaid will be a very long one. Tesla gives two shites about this.

Sandy Munro didn't find any vibrations in his Model S Plaid - road trip to NorthEast US, 6-8 weeks in Michigan (Auburn Hills) daily driving.
I guarantee if you let me drive any single Plaid I could feel the vibration and make the owner aware of it. It's in all of them.

Sounds like the competition is coming. Model S Plaid sales will drop and LUCID will sky rocket. interesting to watch

PS - Munro loves the video LUCID CEO put out. Reaction video clip done by Munro. Sandy & Corey were impressed.
The story everyone been saying for the last 10 year. unfortunately online you only hear about the bad stuff. go check the Porsche forums and read about the Tycan battery issues or the Cadillac forums and the infamous transmission shudder or BMW forums with the many issues reported.

Tesla still has ways to go but tbh compared to the early days it is night and day now.