Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Are you buying the new roadster?

Are you buying the new roadster?

• Hell YES!! I would buy it at ANY price.

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Definitely Yes! $200 to $250k is a bargain for such performance!

Votes: 39 13.2%
  • Yes. I would sell my Model S/X/3 to get the roadster.

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Yes. It is expensive, but I would stretch my budget to get it.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • Not sure. Undecided.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • No. It is too expensive for me.

Votes: 140 47.5%
  • No. It is too small or not practical for me

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • No. I bet the performance still isn't as good as gasoline sport car.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • No. I don't believe in electric car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I applaud them for the specks, but I am more than just a bit sad, that the base version is that expensive. I'd would totally buy a halve as capable Roadster for 100k, but I can't and won't buy a 200k car.

Even 100k would be a stretch for a toy, but somehow I could maybe justify it, but sadly not 200k. I envy anyone who can, though. This car is crazy.

And no, I won't buy it to let it run on the Tesla ride sharing network, to let it earn money for me.

While I applaud them for the specks, but I am more than just a bit sad, that the base version is that expensive. I'd would totally buy a halve as capable Roadster for 100k, but I can't and won't buy a 200k car.

Even 100k would be a stretch for a toy, but somehow I could maybe justify it, but sadly not 200k. I envy anyone who can, though. This car is crazy.

And no, I won't buy it to let it run on the Tesla ride sharing network, to let it earn money for me.
This car is a HUGE bargain at $200k. The only way this car will be beaten is when Bugatti, Koenigsegg at their absolute top speed. Otherwise, the new roadster will beat every performance metrics of ANY gasoline supercars and hypercars.

Reactions: CarlK
And 2 years of lost investment opportunity with 250k sitting at Tesla's bank, haha.
You don't seem to know much about investments - i have enough left over from my Tesla shares purchased at $35 to buy several Roadsters - very happy to plow some of that back into one of the greatest companies in the world.
If you are reserving the founder edition, you need to transfer $250k cash to Tesla now.
Unless you are talking about only paying $50k cash now to hold a spot on non-founder edition, then you can let your TSLA stock appreciate more in the next few years. In this case, you can sell TSLA for $200k cash in 2020 when you take delivery of the roadster.
I do extensive investment and financial decisions in my career and my life. You are the one that get confused and don't know much about investment.

Last edited:
On pure specs it might beat any other car but what about the quality, the materials and everything else that these top of the line supercars bring? Tesla is not in the same league as any of these in terms of the quality and feel of the cars. 200K is cheap for this performance but 0-60 time is only part of the equation.

This car is a HUGE bargain at $200k. The only way this car will be beaten is when Bugatti, Koenigsegg at their absolute top speed. Otherwise, the new roadster will beat every performance metrics of ANY gasoline supercars and hypercars.

I am as impressed by the aesthetics as by the specs. I used to own a Ferrari 360 Modena before I reformed and went all-electric, all-Tesla. This new Roadster is as beautiful or more beautiful than that car, and the specs are clearly mind-bending.

I am going to wait and see. I am in no hurry to pay the huge upfront for an early car, even the non-Founders. I expect I will eventually want one, but I can delay the gratification and see how the fine details develop. My Signature S experience cured me from early bandwagon jumping.

BTW, I am convinced that the 200 kWh battery is vaporware for now, and was not in the prototype. Even though people said the seating height was higher, I don’t buy the stacked cell theory. However, I firmly believe they have the tech to achieve this on the drawing board, and that, in and of itself, is hugely exciting.

Reactions: kevinof
As said above, the specs are amazing and it is a beautiful car, at $200k it doesn't sound to bad when looking at other supercars, will it have the same quality and feel of a Ferrari, I personally don't think so, those italians have had many years perfecting the art, but looking at the bigger picture this vehicle was made to show the world that it is possible to break all kinds of records without needing a fuel guzzling vehicle to do so.