Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Are you buying the new roadster?

Are you buying the new roadster?

• Hell YES!! I would buy it at ANY price.

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Definitely Yes! $200 to $250k is a bargain for such performance!

Votes: 39 13.2%
  • Yes. I would sell my Model S/X/3 to get the roadster.

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Yes. It is expensive, but I would stretch my budget to get it.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • Not sure. Undecided.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • No. It is too expensive for me.

Votes: 140 47.5%
  • No. It is too small or not practical for me

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • No. I bet the performance still isn't as good as gasoline sport car.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • No. I don't believe in electric car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For details of the new roadster:
Roadster | Tesla

• Base Specs

• Acceleration 0-60 mph
    1.9 sec
  • Acceleration 0-100 mph
    4.2 sec
  • Acceleration 1/4 mile
    8.8 sec
  • Top Speed
    Over 250 mph
  • Wheel Torque
    10,000 Nm
  • Mile Range
    620 miles
  • Seating
  • Drive
    All-Wheel Drive
  • Base Price
    $200,000
  • Base Reservation
    $50,000
  • Founders Series Price
    $250,000
  • Founders Series Reservation
    (1,000 reservations available)
    $250,000

Incredible car, if the specs are at all to be believed (hope they are, Elon's been 'overpromising' of late).

But the $200K price point cuts a great many ppl out of the buying equation. Hopefully there's eventually a version that's priced more like the original (i.e. around half that).

Still, nice job, Elon. You really got us with that 'one more thing'. ;)

Reactions: MIT_S60
PS – I worry a bit that in the short-term, it may have a chilling effect on Model S/X sales. Because ppl might think, "WHOA... if the Roadster can have a 200 kWh(!!!) battery pack, in a car that small, what will the next refresh do for the Model S/X? Maybe I should wait!"

Sometimes you can't win for winning. o_O

Last edited:
I would probably need to get into a used one a couple of years after it's released. I've been telling everyone that the new Roadster will be my midlife crisis car. Maybe I'll skip the Model 3 and save for a few extra years. The Rav4 EV will have to go another 100k miles. And the Model S will have to go another 100k+ miles. 8 years, 200k miles is totally doable for the Model S and Rav4, I think.

Weren’t the original sport models around 170k?

But yes I will be selling my model S to get the roadster

From TrueCar:

Tesla History
Tesla is the innovator of the only continual production highway-capable electric car. With Tesla prices starting at $101,500 for the Roadster, selecting the right options and incentives will help obtain great Tesla car prices.

New Tesla Models | Tesla Price & History | TrueCar

Which is not to say there wasn't a version that was $170k.

And kudos on your future purchase. :)

@ggnykk -- One more selection is needed: Are you getting the new Roadster because of the Referral Program discount?

For me, yes. The Founders Roadster price is 10% off the base price, then another 2% off for each referral past 10. Some people have already qualified for a free** Founders. Others (like me) are at about 34% off the base price, which brings it into range. (And you can bet I'm going to be looking for more referrals!)

(** plus applicable taxes on full price)

Not sure. Probably no, but it's not inconceivable. I'm over 60 and retired, so if this is truly a MID-life crisis, I can probably wait for a used one :).

Then again, what would 1.9 seconds do to a 70+ year old heart? What a way to go...
OMG, Greg. You need to experience that acceleration. Makes Baby Turtle seem like a Prius ... Maximum Plaid is impossible to describe.

I will but only after it's been depreciated by the first lucky owner.

It was a great night for sustainability - the semi represents a step change in weaning the transport industry from oil. On the other hand, the new Roadster will create a brighter halo around the EV (the brighter, the better).

I'm confident (more than ever) that we're reaching the tipping point and that we'll soon begin to reverse the impact of fossil fuel.

I will but only after it's been depreciated by the first lucky owner.

It was a great night for sustainability - the semi represents a step change in weaning the transport industry from oil. On the other hand, the new Roadster will create a brighter halo around the EV (the brighter, the better).

I'm confident (more than ever) that we're reaching the tipping point and that we'll soon begin to reverse the impact of fossil fuel.
Maybe most people will be better off to wait and get the faster non-base version that Elon was talking about.

@ggnykk -- One more selection is needed: Are you getting the new Roadster because of the Referral Program discount?

For me, yes. The Founders Roadster price is 10% off the base price, then another 2% off for each referral past 10. Some people have already qualified for a free** Founders. Others (like me) are at about 34% off the base price, which brings it into range. (And you can bet I'm going to be looking for more referrals!)

(** plus applicable taxes on full price)
Oh yes, i missed that selection. But I can't edit the choices now once the poll is up.