Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

Are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

• Extremely Pissed!! I want refund or compensation!

Votes: 63 14.7%
  • Mad!! In shock! I will be in daze for days...

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Slightly mad, but understandable since technology always improve

Votes: 90 20.9%
  • Not sure/ neutral

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • It is alright. Thank god I leased my Tesla instead of owning!

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • Not mad. Know that it is coming given the rumors about Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Not mad at all. It is good that Tesla keep improving Autopilot hardware

Votes: 129 30.0%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 25 5.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were to buy a P100DL today with autopilot 2.0 and all the options, it would cost me $40k more than the inventory P90DL I just bought with autopilot 1.0 and all the options. I'm cool with that. My lease is up in two years and they should have all the AP 2.0 bugs worked out by then. That will be a good time to upgrade.

Reactions: Chaz and ggnykk
picked up my s60 3 weeks ago. only 300 miles. my car still drives the same as it did at 5 pm today. totally satisfied.

the new tech won't just be limited to tesla. other manufacturers will have updated stuff too. if i was really concerned about that i wouldn't have bought a new car to begin with. you'll never catch up, if you think about it.
I would sure hope it drives the same after today's 5PM announcement... Or any announcement for that matter.

I have less than 100 miles on my Model S, but am fine with the new AP. I got $10K off in the 3Q push and with the $13.5K in Federal/state tax incentives, I could probably break even if I sold tomorrow.

BUT, why bother until Colorado allows full autonomy. Once they do, I will be happy to give up driving forever.

For all the disappointed owners, your ownership gets you to the front of the line for the Model 3 so you will get the $7.5K tax rebate. If you switch to a Model 3 at that time, the rebate is a consolation prize against your depreciation.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
I don't think people should be mad. The improvement of enhanced AP will be just incremental over AP 1. The supposed self driving will be years down the line. Many cars have equivalent hardware today but what's hard is software. Also regulations are not there either. Both of these will take years to achieve. AP 1 was 2500 and enhanced AP is 5000 and from descriptions it appears the tangible improvements will likely be auto merging into another highway. This takes like 1 min to do manually while the auto driving on highway takes the other 99.9% of time. It's pretty incremental. I am not even sure it's worth and extra 2500 to be honest.

This sounds far more than incremental. It is a substantial improvement over the current AP 1.0 with far more cameras, better ultrasonics and even radar!

"the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. Eight surround cameras provide 360 degree visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength, capable of seeing through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead.

To make sense of all of this data, a new onboard computer with more than 40 times the computing power of the previous generation runs the new Tesla-developed neural net for vision, sonar and radar processing software. Together, this system provides a view of the world that a driver alone cannot access, seeing in every direction simultaneously and on wavelengths that go far beyond the human senses."

This sounds far more than incremental. It is a substantial improvement over the current AP 1.0 with far more cameras, better ultrasonics and even radar!

"the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. Eight surround cameras provide 360 degree visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength, capable of seeing through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead.

To make sense of all of this data, a new onboard computer with more than 40 times the computing power of the previous generation runs the new Tesla-developed neural net for vision, sonar and radar processing software. Together, this system provides a view of the world that a driver alone cannot access, seeing in every direction simultaneously and on wavelengths that go far beyond the human senses."

Sounds like marketing jumbo to me actually. Yes the hardware changes are substantial, but functionality changes are not, at least for the foreseeable future, based on the description of the enhanced AP on Tesla order page. Full autonomy is mostly a software issues instead of a hardware one. Many cars have tones of cameras on them already but non is close to auto driving. Installing a bunch of cameras does not take a car closer to auto driving. It just makes it possible, but there's no telling how long the software will take.

Elon frequently says extremely optimistic timelines. Full auto driving is not going to be available by end of next year.

I look forward to see what actual tangible improvements in everyday use are however. If the improvements are huge, great, that would be cool. However I am not sure that would be the case.

Let's keep in mind that AP1 took a year to go out after announcement, and to this date it's still quirky.

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and ggnykk
I honestly have made it driving just fine the past 35 years on my own. Autopilot scares the crap out of me on the highway and I rarely if ever use it. I really see no need for it on a daily consumer vehicle other than a good gimmick for the kids.

• Funny
Reactions: David99
I guess it is fair to say it is not incremental. I have AP 1.0 and the new AP 2.0 cars have nada until a software update some time in the future. Seriously, if you cannot turn on full autonomy it will work a little better than AP 1.0 and that is some time in the future. I can wait for my fully autonomous Model 3, but even then will not pay for the feature if my regulator overlords do not allow me to use it.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaz and David99
I don't think people should be mad. The improvement of enhanced AP will be just incremental over AP 1. The supposed self driving will be years down the line. Many cars have equivalent hardware today but what's hard is software. Also regulations are not there either. Both of these will take years to achieve. AP 1 was 2500 and enhanced AP is 5000 and from descriptions it appears the tangible improvements will likely be auto merging into another highway. This takes like 1 min to do manually while the auto driving on highway takes the other 99.9% of time. It's pretty incremental. I am not even sure it's worth and extra 2500 to be honest.
There isn't a production car that has a 8 camera system (plus other sensors) running in a supercomputer with neural network capability. Absolutely zero. Tesla is the only game in the market now, no matter if you are talking about hardware or software.

Guess who the biggest owner of Tesla cars with old hardware is? Most certainly it is is Tesla despite the end of quarter sell off. Do you think Tesla will:
A) sell them as is at a small discount,
B) sell them as is with a large discount,
C) retrofit them and sell them at new or near to new prices,
D) cry at all the resale value they are losing?

Interesting how a disruptive company can disrupt itself too. Or maybe not. Didn't the auto pilot just go up 5k and the company take major step toward a new income generating business around a self driving fleet? With so many mad geniuses at work under the same roof timing ones purchase is its own game. BTW I took the new inventory end of quarter 5k discount on an X instead of waiting for AP2 and the non performance 100D. Hmm, well played?

Last edited:
You'll be able to "ugprade after delivery" via Tesla shop at least for vehicles as of today according to the design studio which basically confirms some level of retrofit being an option.

Curious how far back they will be retrofittable. My bet is for all facelifts to have a retrofit option. Hopefully it's slightly discounted considering the cost of the already purchased AP 1.0.
did they remove the option? i don't see it in Tesla shop website