Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am surprised you guys are still dealing with this issue, like I stated before, my service center was able to change the water pump and super manifold with no issues and the noise is completely gone. Is been about a month already and my MY performance is super quiet. The Service center that refuse to address this issue should really be ashamed of themselves! If one can do it I’m sure the others can! Keep pressing this issue, don’t give up. I know I couldn’t drive my MY with the noise, it drove me crazy.

I am surprised you guys are still dealing with this issue, like I stated before, my service center was able to change the water pump and super manifold with no issues and the noise is completely gone. Is been about a month already and my MY performance is super quiet. The Service center that refuse to address this issue should really be ashamed of themselves! If one can do it I’m sure the others can! Keep pressing this issue, don’t give up. I know I couldn’t drive my MY with the noise, it drove me crazy.

Thank you for your thoughts! Unfortunately, it is so hard to have Tesla's service centers' attention on this issue. You have been extremely lucky to have been serviced by a good service center, and we keep you as a model indeed!

For future reference, exactly which service center did you use?

When I get my LR MY in a few months I'll be dealing with the Devon PA service center, and if I'm unlucky and my car has this issue, AND if Devon gives me the runaround with it, I'd love to have an alternative service center which I knew I could rely on to take care of it. And I'd be willing to make a road trip to do so if needed! :)

I tested the humming noise with an app on my phone and attached are the results. I think the dBA readings are too low, but the hum (peak) is clearly seen around 155Hz. I am considering a higher quality audio spectrum analyzer but am open to suggestions. Maybe there's one on sale being BF today. Or maybe there's a way to hook up a professional mic to the phone and still use this app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211125-083422.jpg
    Screenshot_20211125-083422.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20211125-083311.jpg
    Screenshot_20211125-083311.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: fablau
I tested the humming noise with an app on my phone and attached are the results. I think the dBA readings are too low, but the hum is clearly seen around 155Hz. I am considering a higher quality audio spectrum analyzer but am open to suggestions. Maybe there's one on sale being BF today. Or maybe there's a way to hook up a professional mic to the phone and still use this app.

27-28 dB is not that bad. My Model Y reached 40-45 dB before water pumps replacement. Now it is around 28-30 dB. Of course, I haven't used a real dB meter, and I am sure the measurements may be quite different and accurate (mostly on the lower side)

Reactions: Falcon73
Last edited:
This looks like an inexpensive option, but I don't have any phones with 3.5mm jacks anymore.

Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone

This might solve the no 3.5mm jack problem. I have a OnePlus 9 (not pro).

USB C to 3.5MM Audio Adapter - USB Type C to AUX Headphone Jack

Edit: Something like this might be a better choice, if I can find something that doesn't filter out "unwanted" noise, like humming, sigh.

USB C Microphone, Cubilux Type C Lavalier MIC

Good choices! I like the first microphone, despite it uses the 3.5mm jack. The last option has the feature of a noise-reducing filter which is what you don't want to have if you want to measure "humming noises." My guess is that kinds of noises are the first ones to be filtered out.

By looking at native dB meters, the problem with those meters is always the minimum level of 30dB for most of them. It seems to be impossible to find meters measuring less than that. What we'd need would be a meter with a precise measurement between 10 and 50 dB. That's why the phone coupled with a high-quality microphone could be a better choice.

I wanted to provide you all with an update.

I took my car into service this past Monday and showed them @Cobra2077 repair work invoice. They said they'd investigate.

Couple hours later, I was notified my car was ready for pick up and here's part of the invoice.
View attachment 740315

They didn't replace what I wanted. Sad times.

Thank you for reporting. So... the noise is still there I guess, right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211129-165840.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-165840.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20211129-165640.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-165640.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20211129-165737.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-165737.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 52
This is the mic I ended up getting for my phone. It is cheap, so hopefully that means no filtering. It has a very different number result than with just the OP9's mic, but the humming noise peak is still there plus some others.

Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone for Android Type-C with 3.5mm Earphone Jack 2in1 Lavalier Lapel Mic

Wow, 44dB is pretty high. Pretty much what I had before the water pumps replacement. And your service said that that's normal right?

So I seem to have gotten my VIN very early, like three months early, and I might be getting my LR MY in a week or two.

It's a **302*** VIN, so it was built in Oct-Nov of 2021. This might be a car someone else rejected so I'm going to checklist the crap out of it.

Is there any way to check for this pump noise before taking delivery?

Last edited:
If you own a Model Y, please, check the following and post your answer below:

1. Make sure your car A/C is off.

2. Close all doors and let your car cool for 5 minutes.

3. Open the door: Do you hear a humming sound coming from the front-right side of the frunk that never stops? Can you also hear it from inside, sounding like a continuous humming sound similar to an airplane or a faraway lawnmower?

If so, please, post below your Model Y year and purchase date. We are trying to understand how many cars are affected by this problem, which may be caused by defective water pumps of the cooling system (octovalve system) or other related components as explained on this thread. You can also look at this video where I explain the problem:

It looks like newer Model Ys are affected by this problem, whereas older models are completely quiet.

If we get enough people reporting this issue, we can potentially open a case with Tesla and have the problem fixed for everybody.

Thanks in advance to everyone!
What is the Sentry Mode set to?

So I seem to have gotten my VIN very early, like three months early, and I might be getting my LR MY in a week or two.

It's a **302*** VIN, so it was built in Oct-Nov of 2021. This might be a car someone else rejected so I'm going to checklist the crap out of it.

Is there any way to check for this pump noise before taking delivery?

You can always inspect the car at the moment of delivery, and in case, refuse it. That's my understanding and what I'd do.

Sure, but to check for this noise do I simply turn on the AC and listen for it? Or does the car have to be driven for the noise to present itself?

The A/C must be off and the car must be parked, and possible left alone for at least 1-2 hours in order to make sure you have the same issue. Then, open a dor, nd you should start hearing the noise which can be heard from inside the cabin.