Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have this humming sound too. VIN 257xxx. It's a non-issue for me. It's been hot here in Chicago, and it either comes out for what I think would be to cool the battery, or if the A/C is running. I haven't tried it with heater mode yet. It's a low buzz and once the cabin gets cooled to the proper temp the humming noise goes down to almost zero.

Yes, I second what @Deutsch100 wrote: You have NOT the same problem we are discussing here. You are among the lucky people that have a "normal" Tesla! Enjoy it!

Reactions: MatildaModelY
Picked up a MYLR today, build date of 08/21 and it makes this noise. We noticed it sitting in the car at the SC. We tracked it to behind the driver’s wheel well. Unfortunately we had a few other pressing issues during our delivery in hot and humid Florida weather that we forgot to mention it to the SA.
It makes the noise once you open the door. I don’t know how long it takes to shut off but as of now, it’s still humming 15 minutes after it’s been parked. The seems to change pitch every now and then growing softer after a while but pretty loud initially.
We put in a service ticket that won’t get looked at till oct 25 so I guess we’ll deal with it till then.

Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau
Picked up a MYLR today, build date of 08/21 and it makes this noise. We noticed it sitting in the car at the SC. We tracked it to behind the driver’s wheel well. Unfortunately we had a few other pressing issues during our delivery in hot and humid Florida weather that we forgot to mention it to the SA.
It makes the noise once you open the door. I don’t know how long it takes to shut off but as of now, it’s still humming 15 minutes after it’s been parked. The seems to change pitch every now and then growing softer after a while but pretty loud initially.
We put in a service ticket that won’t get looked at till oct 25 so I guess we’ll deal with it till then.

Thank you for your posting ajabay, and I am sorry for the bad surprise right on delivery day!

Yes, please, keep us posted with your service center response. I'll keep you posted on any development here (petition starting soon...)

Hello guys, I have a question for you. What do you think about the Lemon Law? Is that something that could be used for this issue?

Here is the PDF file of it, given by Tesla at the moment of purchase:

I think you'll have a hard time arguing that the noise "substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle" given that, at most, it's just an annoyance at this point. It doesn't appear that they've made any attempt to fix it and you haven't been left without a functioning vehicle for any substantial period of time. That said, lemon law attorneys get paid their fees if they are successful, so it couldn't hurt to consult with one.

I think you'll have a hard time arguing that the noise "substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle" given that, at most, it's just an annoyance at this point. It doesn't appear that they've made any attempt to fix it and you haven't been left without a functioning vehicle for any substantial period of time. That said, lemon law attorneys get paid their fees if they are successful, so it couldn't hurt to consult with one.

I think I'll try to fill the form and see what happens ;) Thanks!

I think you are referring to the pedestrian warning system. That has nothing to do with the problem we are discussing here.

And... did you order a Model Y for yourself as "revenge"??!
I think you are referring to the pedestrian warning system. That has nothing to do with the problem we are discussing here.

And... did you order a Model Y for yourself as "revenge"??!

no. I am kidding. regarding to your noise, my e-golf makes same noise whenever I open the door, but it is not loud enough to bother me. I hope Tesla can fix it for you

Reactions: fablau
Thank you for your posting ajabay, and I am sorry for the bad surprise right on delivery day!

Yes, please, keep us posted with your service center response. I'll keep you posted on any development here (petition starting soon...)
I’m not bothered enough to by it just yet because so far, each time I’ve left the car, I’ve walked away from it but it would drive me crazy if I’m in the garage or outside on weekends and all I’m hearing is the humming. As long as it doesn’t drain the battery, I’m good.

Reactions: fablau
Hello guys, I have a question for you. What do you think about the Lemon Law? Is that something that could be used for this issue?

Here is the PDF file of it, given by Tesla at the moment of purchase:

Lemon Law here in California is VERY hard to do. I went through it with a 2018 Honda Accord before my MY. It was very difficult to get the necessary proof and then for the state to approve it. Moreover, we all signed an arbitration agreement when purchasing our Tesla’s. This document makes it near impossible to Lemon Law a new Tesla without it being because of a direct safety issue that can lead to injury or loss of life. Your issue would need to go through three separate repair attempts - as in the Tesla service department replaced the pumps each time. Only then would a Lemon Law lawyer even take the case.

Fab, go through the methods you and I discussed earlier this week. Try to reach out to other platforms and get some more exposure. After you’ve exhausted absolutely everything I would suggest talking to a lawyer, but not a lemon law lawyer. You have a different kind of case. I would also read over the arbitration agreement again.

• Informative
I’m not bothered enough to by it just yet because so far, each time I’ve left the car, I’ve walked away from it but it would drive me crazy if I’m in the garage or outside on weekends and all I’m hearing is the humming. As long as it doesn’t drain the battery, I’m good.

Are you sure you have the same problem we are discussing here? It is more annoying from inside the cabin than outside. And it is impossible to ignore unless you listen to hard rock 100% of the time ;)

Lemon Law here in California is VERY hard to do. I went through it with a 2018 Honda Accord before my MY. It was very difficult to get the necessary proof and then for the state to approve it. Moreover, we all signed an arbitration agreement when purchasing our Tesla’s. This document makes it near impossible to Lemon Law a new Tesla without it being because of a direct safety issue that can lead to injury or loss of life. Your issue would need to go through three separate repair attempts - as in the Tesla service department replaced the pumps each time. Only then would a Lemon Law lawyer even take the case.

Fab, go through the methods you and I discussed earlier this week. Try to reach out to other platforms and get some more exposure. After you’ve exhausted absolutely everything I would suggest talking to a lawyer, but not a lemon law lawyer. You have a different kind of case. I would also read over the arbitration agreement again.

Thank you Alex, that's what I thought as well. I am just considering all my options. It'd be actually too easy to be able to apply the Lemon Law to this case. Can you imagine if we all having this problem filed Lemon Law cases with Tesla and they'd succeed??! I am sure we'd have their attention!

Yes, I'll stick to my plan: I have already contacted many YouTubers about this problem, some of them have responded to me personally, they didn't know about it. At least more people will know about it. Yesterday I had a conversation with the folks at the NowYouKnow YT channel and they are ready to support us. They also suggested filing complaints with consumer protection organizations as we already discussed here. There's a lot we can do about it before involving lawyers.

I am also tweeting to Elon Musk 5-10 times a day hoping to grab his attention. If you can help me with that, please, do it!

Here is the tweet I keep sending him:

@elonmusk Elon, you are probably not aware of a big noise issue affecting the latest Model Ys and Model 3s because of low-quality water pumps, please fix it! Model Y and Model 3 Humming Noise Issue

My next step is to start a petition on change.org, and I'll keep you all posted about that. I'll set it up this weekend.

Thank you again ;)

If it's really bothering you that much, sell the car for probably near or more than what you paid for it, and buy a new one. You'll likely lose out on a few thousand dollars but you might want to do it!

Of course, that's something I have thought a lot about. But until I am still in warranty, I am still hoping Tesla is going to replace these damn water pumps with quiet ones in their next production batch, so that I could have a case to request to replace mine at the Tesla SC without paying out of my pocket. Another option, once the warranty is expired, is to just replace them myself. I guess I'd spend less money doing that than reselling the car.

Are you sure you have the same problem we are discussing here? It is more annoying from inside the cabin than outside. And it is impossible to ignore unless you listen to hard rock 100% of the time ;)
When we were in the car during delivery inspection, it was pretty annoying. It sounded like someone was using a gas leaf blower down the road and that made us go outside to investigate. Actually did that 3 times because we didn't think it was coming from the car the first 2 times. However, when we were driving, with the AC going, radio on and road noise, it drowned out that noise.
When we parked at home, we could hear it but now we were outside the car and yes, it sounds different inside vs outside. But we didn't stay outside much once we parked. I've heard the sounds gets better over time, hoping so. I plan to monitor it over the next week to see if it gets better.

When we were in the car during delivery inspection, it was pretty annoying. It sounded like someone was using a gas leaf blower down the road and that made us go outside to investigate. Actually did that 3 times because we didn't think it was coming from the car the first 2 times. However, when we were driving, with the AC going, radio on and road noise, it drowned out that noise.
When we parked at home, we could hear it but now we were outside the car and yes, it sounds different inside vs outside. But we didn't stay outside much once we parked. I've heard the sounds gets better over time, hoping so. I plan to monitor it over the next week to see if it gets better.

Yes then. From your description, it looks like you have the same exact issue. In my case, sometimes the noise is a little softer, other times it is louder. I also tried another new Model Y at my service center which was extremely loud.

May I ask you when you got your car delivered? Thanks :)

Yes then. From your description, it looks like you have the same exact issue. In my case, sometimes the noise is a little softer, other times it is louder. I also tried another new Model Y at my service center which was extremely loud.

May I ask you when you got your car delivered? Thanks :)
yes, the intensity of the noise varies. Sometimes, it's sounded like my ICE volvo when the radiator fans are going and other times, it's just low hum and depending on what I'm doing with the car, the you'll actually hear the pitch change up and down.
We took delivery yesterday. 8/21 build.
If that's the standard now, fine but they need to look into some dampeners or something to at least muffle the sound. The only thing the sound is good for is letting people know there's a car coming.