Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL - Glass Roof

Thoughts on Glass roof

• Great Idea

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • Jury is still out

Votes: 42 19.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X windshield causes too much glare in my eyes during certain times of day - hence the fabric sunshade. On the Model 3 I would like the non-glass roof, mainly because I assume it will result in a quieter cabin.
The metal roof with insulation likely won't dampen sound very much because it is expected to be just a narrow strip over the front seat passengers. Might also look rather odd; we haven't seen any pictures yet, so far as I am aware.

Glare is also a concern of mine due to remnants of cataracts. I drive with the visor down pretty much all the time during the day to reduce the glare somewhat.

Reactions: derkan and PRSIST
So it seems we can agree the glass roof is not a problem for summer, since it keeps out most of the IR and UV.
But what about winter ? Is there more heat deperdition than with a metal roof ?
Does anyone have measurements on that ?

If it's the same glass as the Model S and X... yes, it'll be cold. Some people in northern climates get foam inserts to block off part of the glass when driving / all of the glass when sleeping.

If it's the same glass as the Model S and X... yes, it'll be cold. Some people in northern climates get foam inserts to block off part of the glass when driving / all of the glass when sleeping.

Model S & X'ers. Just dawned on me that I haven't seen any comments about condensation on the glass roof in cooler climates or high humidity locations. Anybody have any experience with condensation?

So it seems we can agree the glass roof is not a problem for summer, since it keeps out most of the IR and UV.
But what about winter ? Is there more heat deperdition than with a metal roof ?
Does anyone have measurements on that ?
Judging from my current car, in cold weather when I pull back and open moon roof cover on ceiling of car, I feel a cold draft from the glass :-/. But hopefully it will not be a problem on the 3.

Model S & X'ers. Just dawned on me that I haven't seen any comments about condensation on the glass roof in cooler climates or high humidity locations. Anybody have any experience with condensation?
Interesting question. Here's one data point: I've never had an issue with condensation or fogging. FWIW, I'm not *really* cold climate (like mid-west type cold), but cold enough Washington.

This thread started with asking about being under a glass roof and evolved to discuss the amount of transmitted radiation/heat. Earlier, we discussed options of adding tint or vinyl wrap or even one member's thoughts on a thin foam panel. All of that was fine with you and others.

Then, we get a nonsensical blanket statement that everyone should want more (sun)light inside, and when I simply point out a serious and critical reason why that was not universally true, I got blown-off and laughed at. Those lucky enough not to have had cancer may not get it, but what will go on under and/or penetrate through a Tesla glass roof is important to understand and this thread seemed perfectly on point. We may all have different reasons for wanting or not a glass panel overhead. Doctor's advice for some (as for me) is no direct sunlight on the head at all. I'm learning about the car to know enough to let the doc make a sound recommendation. So, I am trying to figure out how their advice will apply to a Tesla M3, without the idiocy and mocking laughing which intruded a few posts above. That is where the disagreement should be focused in my humble opinion, as my line of inquiry seems directly on point of the thread.
Thankfully, after visiting the Fashion Island Newport Beach Tesla Store on January 27, 2018 we got the answer about the roof for the $35,000 Model 3. It will be a metal roof. The choice of metal or glass will return for those who may want more protection from the sun. More information about the metal roof Q&A is at this post: Anyone think the metal roof will come painted black?

IMG_4190.JPG