Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL - Glass Roof

Thoughts on Glass roof

• Great Idea

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • Jury is still out

Votes: 42 19.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glass roof is hands down the best roof. Who doesn't want the extra natural light inside the cabin?
However, would be interesting to know the weight difference between glass and non-glass roofs. I'm just butthurt for extra weight in a car where range is of utmost importance

I test drove a Model S with a glass roof here in Phoenix in the middle of the summer and was shocked that the heat of the sun was not noticeable. That being said, I've noticed that Tesla has put sunscreens in their shop.

Went to an EV event in Scottsdale and a Model X owner had a sunscreen above the driver's head that he said Tesla sent to him...don't know if he paid for it or not.

Seem counterproductive to have a glass roof and then cover it up with sunscreens.

So what do you think?

I think you mean you were surprised, not shocked. Tesla uses glass with a metallisation layer that dramatically reduced heat ingress (IR) which means additional tinting is a waste of money. All normal glass is a good barrier against UV, in fact it takes extra effort to make glass that can pass UV. BTW, most factory fitted tinted glass is for privacy only, offering darkness but not heat reduction and therefore needing additional metallised film. Tesla is ahead of the pack in this regard.

Reactions: PRSIST
Who doesn't want the extra natural light inside the cabin?

Vampires. Or Asian women.

ek20100617wha.jpg
sunhat.jpg

I might be wrong, but I would not assume a glass panel on the roof is more expensive to repair than a dent in a steel roof (depending on the severity of the dent). And, when all is said and done, your car will be as good as new, whereas a dent will always be a dent.

Also, your roof is *definitely* not susceptible to the same kind of impact cracks and chips as a windshield. it's even less prone to damage from debris than the top of your hood, due to the angle.

can the roof handle texas golfball runforyourlife hail?

• Funny
Reactions: ahagge
@PRSIST, @Runt8...

I’m really surprised. A prior poster makes a useless offhand comment and mocks/laughs at a serious health issue and you have no comment. I push back on that offensive nonsense and you “disagree”. With what, may I ask, are you disagreeing while having no problem with the original?
This thread is about being in a car under a glass roof, so advice about what board certified dermatologists say do when outside is completely irrelevant. If you have any advice from a board certified dermatologist about what to do when in a Tesla with a glass roof I would love to hear it.

This thread is about being in a car under a glass roof, so advice about what board certified dermatologists say do when outside is completely irrelevant. If you have any advice from a board certified dermatologist about what to do when in a Tesla with a glass roof I would love to hear it.

This thread started with asking about being under a glass roof and evolved to discuss the amount of transmitted radiation/heat. Earlier, we discussed options of adding tint or vinyl wrap or even one member's thoughts on a thin foam panel. All of that was fine with you and others.

Then, we get a nonsensical blanket statement that everyone should want more (sun)light inside, and when I simply point out a serious and critical reason why that was not universally true, I got blown-off and laughed at. Those lucky enough not to have had cancer may not get it, but what will go on under and/or penetrate through a Tesla glass roof is important to understand and this thread seemed perfectly on point. We may all have different reasons for wanting or not a glass panel overhead. Doctor's advice for some (as for me) is no direct sunlight on the head at all. I'm learning about the car to know enough to let the doc make a sound recommendation. So, I am trying to figure out how their advice will apply to a Tesla M3, without the idiocy and mocking laughing which intruded a few posts above. That is where the disagreement should be focused in my humble opinion, as my line of inquiry seems directly on point of the thread.

Okay, so we've already established by third-party measurement and by Elon quote that the glass roof blocks almost all UV and IR. Elon says 99%.

I've pointed out that I can get sunburned wearing a hat, but not in my Tesla. My hat lets through enough UV over a period of a couple of hours to burn my head, but my Tesla does not.

I think it's fair the say that the glass roof is far more effective at blocking UV than a hat. You are going to get some residual UV exposure though the windscreen and side windows, which will be no different whatsoever from a metal roof car.

Therefore there is no reason whatsoever to be concerned about having a glass roof on your Tesla. Even if you are at risk for melanoma. You would not need to take any additional precautions compared to a metal roof car.

@PRSIST, @Runt8...

I’m really surprised. A prior poster makes a useless offhand comment and mocks/laughs at a serious health issue and you have no comment. I push back on that offensive nonsense and you “disagree”. With what, may I ask, are you disagreeing while having no problem with the original?

First off, I don't normally respond to people who get offended when I disagrees with them and expect an explanation of that disagreement. TMC provides limited comments "Informative", "Like", "Dislike", etc.

If you are questioning the effectiveness of the Tesla Model 3 glass roof to block a significant amount of IR and UV rays from the sun, I think many people have addressed that in the comments in this thread. Perhaps you should re-read @Muodebe and @CameronB. I think both were quite informative, as were others, and helped me come to the conclusion that the glass roof on the Model 3 is indeed safe from IR and UV rays. If what @Muodebe and @CameronB, and others have had to say don't eliminate your fears of sun exposure through the roof, then you may just want to wait for the solid metal roof Tesla Model 3 that will probably come out at a later time.

This forum is all about people's opinions, right or wrong, agree or disagree, but everybody has a right to their opinion, so don't get bent out of shape when someone disagrees with what you have to say, no matter how personal it may be for you. If you're on the forum long enough, you will get plenty of disagreements.

Reactions: Runt8
First off, I don't normally respond to people who get offended when I disagrees with them and expect an explanation of that disagreement. TMC provides limited comments "Informative", "Like", "Dislike", etc.

If you are questioning the effectiveness of the Tesla Model 3 glass roof to block a significant amount of IR and UV rays from the sun, I think many people have addressed that in the comments in this thread. Perhaps you should re-read @Muodebe and @CameronB. I think both were quite informative, as were others, and helped me come to the conclusion that the glass roof on the Model 3 is indeed safe from IR and UV rays. If what @Muodebe and @CameronB, and others have had to say don't eliminate your fears of sun exposure through the roof, then you may just want to wait for the solid metal roof Tesla Model 3 that will probably come out at a later time.

This forum is all about people's opinions, right or wrong, agree or disagree, but everybody has a right to their opinion, so don't get bent out of shape when someone disagrees with what you have to say, no matter how personal it may be for you. If you're on the forum long enough, you will get plenty of disagreements.

Thank you. I'm fine with disagreements and deal with them civilly, but post #65 was just too far out of bounds for me when the heartless "LOL anyways" (sic) was included. Doug G seemed to make the case the clearest to me after reading this entire thread as it developed.

Back to glass roofs...

Reactions: PRSIST
Okay, so we've already established by third-party measurement and by Elon quote that the glass roof blocks almost all UV and IR. Elon says 99%.

I've pointed out that I can get sunburned wearing a hat, but not in my Tesla. My hat lets through enough UV over a period of a couple of hours to burn my head, but my Tesla does not.

I think it's fair the say that the glass roof is far more effective at blocking UV than a hat. You are going to get some residual UV exposure though the windscreen and side windows, which will be no different whatsoever from a metal roof car.

Therefore there is no reason whatsoever to be concerned about having a glass roof on your Tesla. Even if you are at risk for melanoma. You would not need to take any additional precautions compared to a metal roof car.
Now if we could get that same IR and UV protection on all our windows without it costing and arm and a leg.

Reactions: Sportstick
Thank you Sportstick for your comments regarding UV exposure and cancer. I am also a melanoma survivor (stage 3, 14 years ago), and I am happy to read the reports about Tesla glass and its UV blocking ability. I count myself as fortunate to live long enough to experience the beginning of the EV revolution.

I will still get the optional sunshade I think. One of our cars (Volvo) also has a glass sunroof, heavily tinted, but we still use the shade for most of three seasons.

Thank you Sportstick for your comments regarding UV exposure and cancer. I am also a melanoma survivor (stage 3, 14 years ago), and I am happy to read the reports about Tesla glass and its UV blocking ability. I count myself as fortunate to live long enough to experience the beginning of the EV revolution.

I will still get the optional sunshade I think. One of our cars (Volvo) also has a glass sunroof, heavily tinted, but we still use the shade for most of three seasons.
Agree...I think the IR and UV issue is put to bed, but a sunshade will do just that, keep the sunlight from shining in occupants face. So for that reason, it sounds like maybe sunshades would be something to consider after taking possession of our cars.