Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL - Glass Roof

Thoughts on Glass roof

• Great Idea

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • Jury is still out

Votes: 42 19.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a lot of misinformation about the glass roof. There is very little Solar energy transmitted although a high quality film applied inside does make a difference for the better. When under way there is no problem at all and the roof gives more headroom and a nice airy feeling. If you park it in the sun for a while it is an entirely different story. We he Glass heats up quickly and while it does not allow infra red radiation through it, it will transmit its own in large quantities when hot until the AC has cooled it down. Leave the car in the sun for half an our and the first five or ten minutes when you get in it it is like sitting under a heat lamp. Film does NOT help here as it is applied to the inside and the whole thing gets red hot.

Not having a Tesla with a glass roof, but reading what many have said, it appears the glass roof material gets hot. Period. That heat from the glass material then radiates into the car. Solid metal roof cars would have the same characteristic, heat radiating from the material of the roof. The catch is, the metal roof has a headliner, with possibly some small quantity of insulation that mitigates the feeling of the heat. It still heats up the interior of the car, but it wouldn't feel like IanAber said, "...sitting under a heat lamp."

So the whole reason for my post is to shed light (pun) on the feasibility of a glass roof. BTW: I am viewing this from an Arizona perspective. Many of those who have responded might have to deal with the opposite of hot sunlight.

Sunscreens would help block the direct light from the sun while driving the car but what about when it is sitting? What about some type of "sunscreen" that has a thin layer of insulation that would reflect the heat from glass?

All in all, excellent feedback to help folks make the best decision for themselves.

The glass roof may not let IR in - but it sure keeps it from getting out!

Glass does not let IR though - but it does let visible and UV through [in small quantities] and when added to the light let in by the other windows - means the car reradiates the UV and visible as IR after it gets absorbed by the fabrics. So your vehicle is re-radiating IR which is trapped by the glass - hence - the temps go up regardless. Turn the beastie on by app when you walk out of a store or mall ro whatever - ad it'll cool off by the time you get there.

The wonderful thing about the ev's is that they don't run their AC off the motor [since there is no motor]. Thus you don't need a minimum rpm to get cold air!

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I was previously anti-glass roof. I got one of the last Model S that you could still get with a solid roof and AP1 hardware. But after test driving a Model X I can see I was 100% wrong. I'm 6'5" and have to lean forward to see traffic lights when I'm near the front of the line. In the Model X I instantly felt like I was sitting with much better posture. It was a sunny day and heat was not an issue.

Even though I used to not be a fan of the glass roof, if the sunroof had been an option when I ordered, I would have gotten it.

glass [sand based glass - not plexi] absorbs virtually 100% of the UV. Thus there is almost nothing inside a car. Open a window or a roof - that assumption goes away.

Sun Hazards in Your Car - SkinCancer.org

"UV radiation from the sun, associated with about 90 percent of all skin cancers, reaches the earth as long- wavelength UVA and shortwave UVB rays. Glass effectively blocks UVB, and windshields are specially treated to block UVA as well, but a car’s side and rear windows allow UVA to penetrate.

UV exposure is cumulative, and research has proven that skin exposed to sun shining through window glass, even in the office, can over time lead to significant skin damage."​

Exactly how much UVA passes through a Tesla glass roof is an entirely different question. But glass on its own doesn't block all UV radiation.

I'm sure the Tesla tinted glass they use for roofs are treated to block UVA. I believe all the "good" tints do as well, so I'm good as I plan on tinting my car (including the front side windows). There are a few options that even at very light shades, they still block a very good amount of TSER.

glass [sand based glass - not plexi] absorbs virtually 100% of the UV. Thus there is almost nothing inside a car. Open a window or a roof - that assumption goes away.

I was always torn and disappointed with the choice of a shade-less moon roof. I almost went with the solid roof primarily due to my subjectability to skin cancers and to a lesser degree a potential increase in noise. Regardless, I opted for the glass as I figured I can always block the UV rays mechanically.

I crafted a solid shade out of Styrofoam covered by nice black cloth. It looks almost factory when installed and used it extensively last summer. This summer, my fancy sunshade has gone unused. I am now more of the opinion that hardly any dangerous radiation gets through the roof, and the slight increase in heat during the summer is not worth using a sunshade.

Outside I always wear a hat. If anyone has data on harmful UV ray transmission through the top, I am back to my sunshade, but not until then!

• Informative
Reactions: PRSIST and DR61
Regarding noise, there seems to be very little difference if any between when I have my 1/2 inch piece of foam sunshade covering the sunroof. Someone with a decibel meter and both cars could answer this more definitively.

That's interesting. On my cars with moonroof, the factory manual shade that comes with moonroofs seem to make an appreciable difference in sound quality. Particularly the car with the pano roof. If both shades are open, the noise ventures into "annoying" to me (this is subjective of course). If only one is open, it's about the same as the other car (normal moonroof) and is still noticeable enough that I typically leave it closed.

I wonder if Tesla uses a thicker glass or something? Or perhaps it's just how one person feels vs another?

That's interesting. On my cars with moonroof, the factory manual shade that comes with moonroofs seem to make an appreciable difference in sound quality. Particularly the car with the pano roof. If both shades are open, the noise ventures into "annoying" to me (this is subjective of course). If only one is open, it's about the same as the other car (normal moonroof) and is still noticeable enough that I typically leave it closed.

I wonder if Tesla uses a thicker glass or something? Or perhaps it's just how one person feels vs another?

I was surprised as well, it could be that the ambient noise is already a little bit high. To be definitive, as I said above, we need further testing.

I test drove a Model S with a glass roof here in Phoenix in the middle of the summer and was shocked that the heat of the sun was not noticeable. That being said, I've noticed that Tesla has put sunscreens in their shop.

Went to an EV event in Scottsdale and a Model X owner had a sunscreen above the driver's head that he said Tesla sent to him...don't know if he paid for it or not.

Seem counterproductive to have a glass roof and then cover it up with sunscreens.

So what do you think?
I actually contacted Elon directly on this on Twitter and he responded.

Blocks 99% of IR and UV
And I love my glass roof!

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and gambit48
I can't remember off the top of my head (no pun intended), but the roof has enough tint that you will not need to tint your roof, and your head will not tan.

UPDATE: Looking around the inter tubes, seems the Model S roof is 100% UV blocking. I can't find a link from Tesla, but I'm sure somebody can.

Also will add this info from my (highly reputable) window tint guy:

He had tinted many Tesla’s but mine was the first one he had seen with the all-glass roof. After noting how cool it looked and how it gave the interior so much more headroom and a more open feeling (he’s probably about 6’3” tall) he tested it with some of his equipment.

He had some UV + something else combo meter. Sorry didn’t ask the particulars. Probably should have.

Anyhow he collected the baseline readings outside the car about a foot above the roof. It was a sunny summer day. 91°F/33°C. Then he put his meter inside the car a few inches below the inside of the glass roof. The meter showed a reading of just about zero. He seemed very amzazed and surprised. Ran the tests again. Same basically zero results. He was very impressed!

So when Tesla says it blocks almost all of the heat and UV, sure seems like they are telling the truth.

Plus I have little hair and have had zero heat problems from the roof. It’s a complete non issue.

I loved my pano roof Model S. The difference in feeling the sun between a closed roof and an open roof was amazing. I like feeling the sun on my hair, since I still have all my hair, and loved opening the roof and feeling the heat of the sun on my skin in the summer.