Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How long did it take for the keyfob "string" to snap from your keychain?

How long did it take for the keyfob string to snap?

• First day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Within first week

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Within 2 weeks

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Took a while longer

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Hasn't snapped yet!

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fobs came without a string. Go to a bead store and have them knit string for you.
(My first one came undone, but later brought back both keys - all for free, and some Tesla time).

fob.JPG

That's my pathetic knot. But I did singe the ends with a lit match to prevent it from unraveling again.

/Ed

My fobs came without strings also so I can't take the poll. I attached fob ornaments to each to give them more heft/mass using small zip ties so that I can keep them separate from all other keys. They should last longer without the constant banging into other keys.

Last edited:
Mine didn't come with strings. I bought some in anticipation of getting the key fobs though. Then I never actually put the string on.

I haven't had my car key attached to another key for about 8 years now.

All my other keys stay on key rings in the car.

Ours didn't come with strings - but I added one that looks identical to the one you just posted (I pulled it off of a USB thumb drive I had nearby). Been six months and it still hasn't broken, to my surprise. I do have only one key attached to it, so maybe that's why.

Our local service center uses the neoprene USB sleeves from Case Logic. But they really should get some of these instead: http://www.abstractocean.com/fobpockets/ :)

My "string" (how pathetic) separated from the small ring which joined up to the larger ring; I just tied the "string" to the larger ring! Here's a picture of the comparison to my second set which is still intact:

Attachments

• Tesla Key Chain.JPG
    Tesla Key Chain.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 323
Ha, I guess the keyfob string thing is a new innovation. Here is what it looks like:

That's the second keyfob. The string on the first one already broke.

Mind didn't come with anything, but I thought like 5-10 of those for a couple of bucks off Amazon. I don't actually attach it to my keys, though--why bother, when I don't need to actually take it out of my pocket with keys? I just put it in my pocket (if wearing jeans--frequent, for me--in the little change pocket), and don't remove it till day's end. I probably shouldn't have bothered even attaching the string thing I bought to the key, but a couple of times I have attached it to my key ring. But usually, I just don't bother attaching it.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I have four left; if you were in the area, I'd offer to give you a couple, since you're so tough on them. ;-) ;-)