Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Model 3 reservation holders: Would you get the S/X instead if you could?

Model 3 reservation holders: Would you get the S/X instead if you could?

• I would prefer the S or X, but I cannot comfortably afford it.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • I would prefer the S or X and could afford it, but I don’t want to spend that kind of $ on a car

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I prefer the 3 over the S/X primarily because of its size.

Votes: 56 33.7%
  • I prefer the 3 over the S/X primarily because of its minimalistic interior.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I prefer the 3 over the S/X primarily because I believe it is currently the most advanced Tesla

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • I prefer the 3 over the S/X for a different reason.

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I don't necessarily prefer the 3, but I already have an S/X, so I want to branch out.

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • I have a 3 reservation, but I will probably cancel.

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • I do not have a 3 reservation, but I like participating in surveys.

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved a 3 as I couldn't afford an S, then CPO prices started to come down. Was concerned about the size (and maintenance), but came into a small windfall of cash and decided to take the plunge now vs waiting.

I do not have binocular vision, so larger cars are a challenge for me due to my limited depth perception. So I made sure to get an S with the parking sensors. I have found I am now perfectly comfortable with its size and I actually find it easier to back into parking spaces.

Reactions: Ulmo
My preference would be an X and a 3.. could afford it right now, but I'd rather be house poor (seriously) since that's where I live a vast majority of my hours... So, we're currently saving to build the dream house and will reevaluate the finances after that's done and I know the budget. Until then, we're stretching to get a 3 and may even pass (the main reason I'm considering it instead of saving faster is because this is the last chance to get $7,500 off).

The size of the S?... I kind of chuckle at that since I drive my 3/4 ton Yukon XL all the time with no cameras, etc.. the S is like a compact car compared to that.

I'm really "on the fence." That said ... I have absolutely no interested in the S or X.

I like pictures I have seen of the 3 a lot. But I am a senior' I own (paid for) a terrific 2015 Toyota Avalon hybrid and a BMW Z3 (classic) Roadster. What do I trade? My beautiful BMW? or a wonderful hybrid that will cruise for over 500 miles at 42 + mpg?

So much will depend on actually seeing and driving the 3.
My deposit will not come due until late 2018 our early 2019 (not counting on any tax rebate) .... by that time I am hoping Tesla will make modifications to the choices in battery, color, wheels, interior, and bundled packages. In addition ... construction of additional superchargers will enable me to purchase the standard 3, and put my money into interior comfort options.

In truth, reading this forum has cooled my interest a bit .... so many issues with the S and X, and when I compare that to my Avalon with absolutely no issues .... I become increasingly hesitant.
OTOH .... my brother owns an S and cannot say enough good things about the car.

I could afford an S or X (technically, but not so much comfortably based on what I like to spend), but for that type of money I'd rather have two vehicles. My plan currently is to get the M3 for daily driving, and then get either a new or used Rubicon in a year or so for my bad weather/offroading adventures. That is unless the Bollinger B1 becomes more likely to be made in the near future . . .

Since this isn't a binary poll (S/X vs. 3), it should allow multiple selections since there may be more than one reason a person would opt for a 3 rather than S/X or vice versa. That's certainly the case for me.
I do understand that some of us have multiple reasons (myself included), but I've asked specifically for your "primary" reason. I'm more interested in seeing 1 vote per person than a hodge podge of all the reasons, which really isn't as informative.

Lately I have spent some time considering getting the S instead of the 3. Spending that kind of money on a car feels extravagant to me, but I was beginning to move past that. Then I started encountering mentions of how large the S is, and how it can be challenging to navigate parking garages, tight parking spaces, etc.

I am used to driving a small midsize car (not actually sure whether it's technically midsize or compact), and I generally refuse to drive my husband's Nissan Murano (SUV) unless I know it'll only be in very open terrain. Where I live, it is an important consideration, and I prefer the flexibility, ease, and generally lower stress of the smaller car. So this was kind of the nail in the coffin for my interest in the S over the 3.

I also love the 3's interior. But regarding my own poll, my primary reason, ultimately, is definitely the size.

Long story short, I am curious how many others are choosing the 3 over the S for other reasons besides the obvious factor of price.

I have a leaf and an S. The S is a boat compared to the leaf but its actually not hard to park or drive (it does take getting used to a lesser turning radius). I do use the autopark features sometimes but mostly I park it myself. Less hassle and faster. Autopark is magical and it impresses passengers but it takes forever and can't see aggressive other drivers. That being said, the S is easy to park because of the awesome ultrasonic system, the impressively detailed backup camera with guidelines, and the autotilting mirrors which really help with curb clearances if you've set up your mirrors correctly.

Otherwise if you spend time road tripping, the S has the best storage capacity. Period. You'll love that space. If its just a daily driver car, it might not come into handy that much. We love our S and have definitely grown into having a full sized luxury sedan.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and WhiskySTL
I'm older now. The next cars I get will be "all boxes checked". I can't afford an all boxes checked Model S.

Even If I could afford a Model S....I find it hard buying a car that costs more than my 1st house.

In that light....I would have to disagree with Tesla. The model 3 "all buttons checked" isn't an affordable car. Its a "more" affordable car than the model s and x, but its certainly not affordable.

Reactions: bobw
We already have a MS so consider that our luxury car. Our second car is old and will need to be replaced at some point. We just put money into the A/C and don't want to invest any more in it. Mainly drive it around town and to places we're hesitant to take our MS (which was recently vandalized while eating out :mad:). I love our MS. Best car we've ever owned and love driving it. However we did just order a M3 for a few reasons.

I voted for the "primarily size" option, because it will give me basically an extra foot to fit into our garage when I pull in which would be a nice cushion. The MS is a big car but I'm driving a 2001 Avalon XLS which is a full size sedan but I leave that outside in the driveway. However if I end up charging a new EV car it would be nice to park in the garage during rainy weather. So there's that. Two MSs would be a big chunk of change. Definitely want the long range PUP version but beyond that not sure about AWD, SAS, sunroof and would love HEPA/Biodefense LOL (our MS has spoiled me!). Price-wise I could end up pretty close to an MS at that point. For now I'm excited about my M3 reservation, love the look of the car and it's smaller length and want to do a test drive before signing a contract.

Reactions: WhiskySTL
Obviously I don't know which option to choose if price is my primary distinction.
I don't follow you... If you would prefer the S or the X, but because of price you are getting a 3, then you would choose one of the first 2 options...
- "I would prefer the S or X, but I cannot comfortably afford it."
- "I would prefer the S or X and could afford it, but I don’t want to spend that kind of $ on a car"

I don't follow you... If you would prefer the S or the X, but because of price you are getting a 3, then you would choose one of the first 2 options...
- "I would prefer the S or X, but I cannot comfortably afford it."
- "I would prefer the S or X and could afford it, but I don’t want to spend that kind of $ on a car"
I prefer the 3 but would consider the S if it was cheaper.

You presume that the Model 3 is a compromise while for me the Model S would be the compromise. Your questions reflect your bias, though I presume it was unintended.

Last edited:
I prefer the 3 but would consider the S if it was cheaper.
The question in the poll is why you prefer the 3, if you do prefer the 3. Feel free to choose the "other" option (4th to last), or just don't respond if you don't feel any of the answers work for you... It sounds like you're not really sure which one you prefer, if the price were the same. You're right - I did not include an option for that.

Thanks to all who have responded - I'm surprised by the results. It is interesting that, based on this admittedly unscientific and small-sample-size poll, over all, price is NOT the primary driver for the majority of those who are choosing a 3 over an S/X.