Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The UI is a step backwards, it's the Windows Vista of updates. Maybe it can be the Windows 7 with an overhaul of these cute ideas.
The first thing i thought about this update.. it has Microsoft written all over it.. where every other OS version has a history of sucking big time. And EVERY update requires more clicks to do the same things as before. It's almost like designers salaries are tied to amount of clicks required.

The next big danger is certain basic operations will require you to open a command prompt!

Reactions: Baluchi
The amount of focus on tire pressure and trips in this thread is just silly. I can’t imagine spending this much time complaining about such trivial things.

That aside, I find the only true downside to this update is that when the map is hidden directions have been moved to the very bottom of the left-portion of the screen. In my opinion it’s a bit too low and requires one to look too far down too often when driving. But this can be avoided by just minimizing whatever is blocking the maps. Hopefully they move directions back towards the top portion of the screen for a safer driving experience.

My neighbor was all set to purchase a Model Y but after seeing this update and knowing how long I've been talking about getting the FSD that I paid for by the end of this year he's off the Tesla bandwagon.

Fanboys will deem this a gross overreaction, but I've had a similar change in how I "market" the car. Before v11, I was letting my friends (and even strangers) test drive my car, always touting the greatness of Tesla products, and urging people to consider buying one. Now I'm more reserved when discussing Tesla, because I'd feel bad if one of my buddies spends $50,000 on a Model 3 and then realizes he can't even see the trip odometer and the map at the same time. I'm still on the EV bandwagon and touting the superiority of electrification, but just less likely to solely recommend Tesla. The UI is the core of the user experience in a Tesla, so it's gotta be great. And it's not right now.

The amount of focus on tire pressure and trips in this thread is just silly. I can’t imagine spending this much time complaining about such trivial things.
For 30 years I checked pressure with a gauge, now if I have to hit two buttons the world is about to end. Yeah there are some things that could be improved, but man, get a grip, right?

For those of who focus more on efficiency than we do 0-60 times, the trip information is a critical part of our experience. If you're not in that camp, I understand that it seems trivial. But for a big percentage of Tesla owners who appreciate the cars' efficiency, it's felt like a slap in the face to hide trip consumption numbers behind the map.

That aside, I find the only true downside to this update is that when the map is hidden directions have been moved to the very bottom of the left-portion of the screen. In my opinion it’s a bit too low and requires one to look too far down too often when driving.
Totally agree with you here. Much like the placement of the blind spot cameras, the navigation instructions are obscured if you've got your hands on the wheel. Meanwhile, there's nothing but white space above the car where that info used to be easy to see.

For 30 years I checked pressure with a gauge, now if I have to hit two buttons the world is about to end. Yeah there are some things that could be improved, but man, get a grip, right?
And yet just last week I could monitor my Tesla tire pressure the entire trip without pushing extra buttons and covering up the entire screen.
I'm glad there's a warning if it gets low, but there was the situation where I had a tack in my tire and saw it was lower than usual. Was able to drive home.

For those of who focus more on efficiency than we do 0-60 times, the trip information is a critical part of our experience. If you're not in that camp, I understand that it seems trivial. But for a big percentage of Tesla owners who appreciate the cars' efficiency, it's felt like a slap in the face to hide trip consumption numbers behind the map.

Totally agree with you here. Much like the placement of the blind spot cameras, the navigation instructions are obscured if you've got your hands on the wheel. Meanwhile, there's nothing but white space above the car where that info used to be easy to see.
But why do you need to see your trip information when there is an icon showing your remaining battery %?

It's a mixed bag, but why does it have to be a one-UI-for-all scenario? Tesla should do what Apple did with the Apple Watch - let the users configure the presentation within certain boundaries. There are drivers here focused on FSD, others who might like driving data that was readable or controls easily accessible, and there might be some more interested in efficiency/range. I'm old school and visually oriented, so I like analogue gauges. Whatever - let the users decide.

Honest question, but why is that important in 95% of circumstances when you aren’t going to run your battery to below 10% and/or don’t have easy access to charging stations?

It's important to me in the same way as having an MPG readout was important in my last ICE car. As someone who's interested in driving efficiently, I want to know how I'm doing while I'm driving. You're right that it's not critical to get from point A to point B, but neither are most of the car's other features. By that logic, why not get rid of cruise control, or the stereo, or heated seats? None of them are critical to me being able to use the car for its core purpose, but I'd prefer not to have them taken away.

Some people are trying to say that Tesla owners are whining about this update. But the fact is, the car lost far more functionality and ease-of-use than it gained from the update. And as loyal Tesla customers and believers in its mission, we have an obligation make noise when there is a clear regression in the company's products. If everyone gets complacent and goes along with these poor decisions, in 10 years Tesla will no longer be the dominant player in this space. And we'll have lost something special. So people who are defending this UI are doing far more harm to Tesla than people who are upset about it--that harm may not show up in the next few quarterly reports, but several years from now it'll matter.

I just realize that i can't close or open garage is somebody in my Tesla didn't fasten seat belt. Even if it is second row. I also can not answer the phone if someone did not bucle up. Warning will cover the area of the screen where is normaly Home link buttons are.

Ya.. slows me down too. I normal start moving and have my seat belt on by the time I hit the road. Now I have to do it before moving.

Note you can hit the Homelink icon on the top, which will bring you into the cars quick-controls page, and select the transmit action that way. But it covers up the whole screen including the rear view camera if it’s up.

Reactions: PatP
It's important to me in the same way as having an MPG readout was important in my last ICE car. As someone who's interested in driving efficiently, I want to know how I'm doing while I'm driving. You're right that it's not critical to get from point A to point B, but neither are most of the car's other features. By that logic, why not get rid of cruise control, or the stereo, or heated seats? None of them are critical to me being able to use the car for its core purpose, but I'd prefer not to have them taken away.

Some people are trying to say that Tesla owners are whining about this update. But the fact is, the car lost far more functionality and ease-of-use than it gained from the update. And as loyal Tesla customers and believers in its mission, we have an obligation make noise when there is a clear regression in the company's products. If everyone gets complacent and goes along with these poor decisions, in 10 years Tesla will no longer be the dominant player in this space. And we'll have lost something special. So people who are defending this UI are doing far more harm to Tesla than people who are upset about it--that harm may not show up in the next few quarterly reports, but several years from now it'll matter.
The fault in your analogy is that your ability to view efficiency wasn’t removed. Moreover, viewing efficiency ratings is likely far less important to the majority of Tesla’s customers than the other items you mentioned.

There is nothing damaging in liking the new interface - stop with the hyperbole.

Fanboys will deem this a gross overreaction, but I've had a similar change in how I "market" the car. Before v11, I was letting my friends (and even strangers) test drive my car, always touting the greatness of Tesla products, and urging people to consider buying one. Now I'm more reserved when discussing Tesla, because I'd feel bad if one of my buddies spends $50,000 on a Model 3 and then realizes he can't even see the trip odometer and the map at the same time. I'm still on the EV bandwagon and touting the superiority of electrification, but just less likely to solely recommend Tesla. The UI is the core of the user experience in a Tesla, so it's gotta be great. And it's not right now.
Same here. I’ve stopped touting the benefits of the over the air updates. At the start they were useful, but a few years of not fixing basic things, plus a couple of regressions, has cooled me on that. I also tell people when are looking and ask me, that fsd is not worth the price. If they really want it, I advise that they should rent it first and see.

It’s still a great car thou and if you want an ev I think it’s the one to get.

It's a mixed bag, but why does it have to be a one-UI-for-all scenario? Tesla should do what Apple did with the Apple Watch - let the users configure the presentation within certain boundaries. There are drivers here focused on FSD, others who might like driving data that was readable or controls easily accessible, and there might be some more interested in efficiency/range. I'm old school and visually oriented, so I like analogue gauges. Whatever - let the users decide.

I like it. Also with my watch I sometimes change the face depending on what I’m doing.

"It’s still a great car thou and if you want an ev I think it’s the one to get."<<<<Total agreement.
Question...is Tesla Corp. listening to the %52 that think the V11 interface was a mistake? and will they do anything about it?