Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overall, I like the update. I do wish we could have a couple more icons on the dock. I definitely see why some people would be upset about the loss of some existing icons, but they don't really bother me. The one item annoying to me is the new texting window. It is so small and difficult to read.

I like the update. There could be some improvements, and I’m sure they will improve it.
This is just about a bunch of folks that don’t like change, and can’t adapt quickly.
Give it time, learn the new software, and be patient for improvements.
Sheesh.
Speaking solely for myself, I don't think "adapting" should mean to re-learn the most basic functions that you use nearly every time you drive to use 2-4 touches where 1 used to work. And I know I'm not alone. This "update" riled my wife up big time. Tesla needs to be more attentive to those who use the car as a functioning vehicle as well as those who use it for mobile entertainment. Complaints aside, the changes are incredibly tone deaf to me.

This update is horrendous. Did anyone actually QA this in real life driving? Here are a few things which I find distracting and dangerous.

Pro's:

None

Con's:
  1. Windshield wiper setting is harder to locate and use while driving. Sensitively seems off as well.
  2. Defrost functions are too buried.
  3. Speed is too far left and blocked by my hand on the steering wheel a bit.
  4. Driver profile settings are too removed. My wife is 5 feet and I've been squished a few times as I fumble to get to my setting.
  5. Someone when crazy on bolding everything?
  6. Overall, it feels like the basic daily functions are deeper and harder to find.

Last edited:
Homelink UI bug in v11. No way to tap "Cancel" if you don't want to auto-open your garage. Yes, you can turn off auto-open for homelink settings entirely, but the cancel button is helpful if you happen to be near your house after leaving and don't want to trigger the garage. Hitting cancel thinks I want to turn on the AC :/. Guess I need to pull out my stylus for more precise tapping 🙃

IMG_1451.jpg

100% agree on these- they weren't even taking up screen space unless you asked for em with a swipe, both are now a full level deeper to get to, not a good change at all.

Haven't played with this much in 11, but I always leave on auto anyway, and pressing the end of the stalk would bring the setting up directly (though I never really needed to change it)- does it no longer do that?

You can pin dashcam to the bottom and see it there

I've got 5 there right now I think- and looks like room to spare, given the limited things you CAN pin not sure how you're using up more spots than you have?

I think I've got USB, radio, rear view cam, dashcam, and browser (which itself brings up the whole toybox menu at top of it initially if you want it)

They have an auto setting now-- too early to know how well it works, but if it does then you'd rarely need to adjust.

That said one thing you mentioned I REALLY wish I could still pin to the bottom is the defrost.

I don't love the update visuals overall- but if they'd let me pin that, and bring back the TPMS/trip cards, I'd have no real complaints.
Agree,
Preliminary thoughts after about an hour of exploring...

Pros:
- dark mode
- blind spot camera with turn signals (though it's hidden behind your hand if on the steering wheel)
- the turn signal indicators on the screen are in a better position than before the update

Cons:
- speedometer font still too small and too thin and shouldn't be jammed up against the side of the screen. It was WAY better pre Xmas 2020 when it was a bolder, larger and centered. I wish when they make changes like this, they wouldn't ram it down our throats. There should be an option to center it and make it larger/bolder like before.
- they still have warning lights down the side of the screen (behind your hand while on the steering wheel). This was obviously designed by someone sitting at a desk.
- odometer and trip meters buried deeper. The cards were much better
- tire pressures buried deeper. The cards were much better

- windshield wiper controls buried deeper The cards and/or button at the bottom is much better for wiper controls
Agree 100% on the wiper and defrost controls. I nearly crashed last night in the rain trying to find them :(
- the energy line (gray/green) is still unnecessarily thin. It was also significantly better pre Xmas 2020 when it was a few pixels thicker
- the dash cam icon disappeared from above the map. Why?? It wasn't in the way of anything. Problem is, sometimes the red light goes out and I have to pull the USB drive and re-insert it. Now I have to manually check in the controls section to see if it's working. This one really ticks me off (assuming the issue still exists - for me I have to pull the USB about once every week or two)
- you can't pin enough icons to the bottom of the screen (too much unused area that could be useful)
- heated seats buried in climate controls. Again this requires more attention off the road to access them. Guess that happens when the designers live in southern California.
Agree 100%! It takes way more attention from the road to heat the seats now.
Summary:
The driver interface was WAY better when I bought the car in fall 2020 (before the Xmas 2020 update). Since then, it requires more attention off what's important (the road ahead) and therefore it is less safe to drive the car (unless you have full self driving and have the luxury of time to hunt around for information while not looking at the road).

They should offer "classic" interface/settings or something like that for those who appreciate the superior engineering and design that keeps being replaced, just for the sake of changing to a fresh look.

I'm really disappointed that they didn't allow more customization as suggested by Elon about a year ago when so many people complained after the Xmas 2020 update. When it comes time to replace the car, I'd seriously consider leaving the brand over stuff like this (handcuffing you to "downgrades")

Reactions: Benbo
I like the update. There could be some improvements, and I’m sure they will improve it.
This is just about a bunch of folks that don’t like change, and can’t adapt quickly.
Give it time, learn the new software, and be patient for improvements.
Sheesh.

Yes, and if we want it to improve, we have to be a bunch of folks that don't like the change and then provide loads of criticism that Tesla can use to thusly improve it. If we don't say how we want it improved and they don't hear it- how does it get improved?

Now if only we had a place to voice our concerns and grievances... where could we possibly assemble in public so that Tesla could freely read and take in said criticism?

Stop telling grievous users with valid criticism not to post in a forum dedicated to the ideal of such a task. Sheesh. ;-)

Kinda tired of hearing "you can use voice commands for that." You shouldn't have to memorize 150 voice commands to drive a car. It's one more thing that will inhibit EV adoption, or at least push people to other manufacturers.
Thing to remember about voice commands they require a cell LTE data network connection back to the mother ship to be processed, AFAIK no voice commands are processed locally; likewise, voice commands can take several seconds to execute. I use none-time sensitive voice commands to select songs to listen to while driving, this of course also requires a data connection. Turning on the windshield defroster sometimes needs to happen instantly, when driving in bad weather, and looking away for more than a half second could lead to an accident. Also remember cell service is NOT ALWAYS available!

Last edited:
Unfortunately that would require buying a used M3 that hadn't been updated yet. The cards are gone in v11. The trip info is in the new "trips" menu after you press the car icon on the bottom left. All the same info is there, but it will cover the entire map when open. Tire pressures can be found under the "service" menu.
I hope Elon Musk is being briefed on the beef us, northerners, have with some of the drastic changes made in V.11
First and foremost, WE NEED to restore the quick access to the defrost and defog buttons.

Hiding the trip info and tire pressure in deeper levels was a bad move as well.

Thing to remember about voice commands they require a cell LTE data network connection back to the mother ship to be processed, AFAIK no voice commands are processed locally; likewise, voice commands can take several seconds to execute. I use none-time sensitive voice commands to select songs to listen to while driving, this of course also requires a data connection. Turning on the windshield defroster sometimes needs to happen instantly, when driving in bad weather, and looking away for more than a half second could lead to an accident. Also remember cell service is NOT ALWAYS available!
And there used to be an indicator at the top of the main screen showing whether the car has cellular connectivity or not. Of course v11 removed that indication.

For the first time since becoming a Tesla owner, I'm not going to install a software update even though some of the improvements are worthwhile. I voted a big thumbs-down just based on the release notes. My initial reaction on reading those was that Tesla design team seems to be getting way too far removed from their customer base. Comments on this post confirm my feeling that I would really miss easy access to the odo/performance and TPIS cards, which I look at quite frequently. Also I don't want to activate wipers on a dry windshield just to check if I have left them in auto or a manual setting, and I'm not going to distract myself by digging around in a menu to access the wiper card. I adjust seat heater settings numerous times per day in winter - show me any other car that doesn't allow one-touch operation for those controls. I don't understand why Tesla thinks we need such a big navigation screen. The only area of interest to me is the top, which is where I'm headed. What's behind me is history. If I want to see more around my location, I can shrink the view. As far as I'm concerned, the bottom of the screen is available for obstruction any time.

I do hope Elon Musk is being briefed on the beef us, northerners, have with some of the drastic changes made in V.11
We here care more about safe driving than the font size on the screen.

First and foremost, WE NEED to restore the quick access to the defrost and defog buttons.

Hiding the trip info and tire pressure in deeper levels was a bad move as well

Reactions: rmh9 and rsharman
For the first time since becoming a Tesla owner, I'm not going to install a software update even though some of the improvements are worthwhile. I voted a big thumbs-down just based on the release notes. My initial reaction on reading those was that Tesla design team seems to be getting way too far removed from their customer base. Comments on this post confirm my feeling that I would really miss easy access to the odo/performance and TPIS cards, which I look at quite frequently. Also I don't want to activate wipers on a dry windshield just to check if I have left them in auto or a manual setting, and I'm not going to distract myself by digging around in a menu to access the wiper card. I adjust seat heater settings numerous times per day in winter - show me any other car that doesn't allow one-touch operation for those controls. I don't understand why Tesla thinks we need such a big navigation screen. The only area of interest to me is the top, which is where I'm headed. What's behind me is history. If I want to see more around my location, I can shrink the view. As far as I'm concerned, the bottom of the screen is available for obstruction any time.
Agree wholeheartedly.
This release was done without any driver input. TESLA - you are letting us down.

There is only one person who's input matters at Tesla and that is Elon. He has said flat out that the goal is humans should not be controlling anything "all human input is error". So that means everything on automatic (regardless of it if works or not or what the owners want). Hence the dumb auto seat heaters that literally nobody (sane) asked for and will satisfy nobody (except Elon). All those talking on here about how this update should have been tested more or how the UI/UX team is incompetent or two young, don't kid yourself. They have almost certainly been testing this for months, and the design work would have been done months before. The whole reason this update is the way it is is because this is exactly what Elon directed it to be, and reality (internal testing and user feedback) was never going to change the fundamental design no matter how bad the user experience is. Sadly Elon is the problem now, and until he is gone expect more and more of this.