Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Will you buy?

Will you buy the Cybertruck?

• Yes, planned on it before I saw it.

• Yes, now that I have seen it.

• Still deciding.

• No, changed my mind when I saw it.

• No, never planned on it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have gone all the same through also, the shock of seeing it the first time. Wow, it is different, ugly? It is growing on me. Some very good reasons behind the design. I am in the utility inspection business drive 45,000 per year. The primary use will be to me to job sites off-road, some sites very remote, North Dakota, Texas, Pennsylvania. The pickup is my office. I am wanting to put a deposit on AWD Duel motor or Tri motor. But have some reservations on 240-volt Charging availability at motels, warranty with commerce use, Parts supply, availability. I expect Tesla to be comparable with other pickup manufacturers. I believe in repairing "R&R" before failure. There is a cost per mile to own. Generally, only hear the horror stories. I will welcome constructive comments.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I have gone all the same through also, the shock of seeing it the first time. Wow, it is different, ugly? It is growing on me. Some very good reasons behind the design. I am in the utility inspection business drive 45,000 per year. The primary use will be to me to job sites off-road, some sites very remote, North Dakota, Texas, Pennsylvania. The pickup is my office. I am wanting to put a deposit on AWD Duel motor or Tri motor. But have some reservations on 240-volt Charging availability at motels, warranty with commerce use, Parts supply, availability. I expect Tesla to be comparable with other pickup manufacturers. I believe in repairing "R&R" before failure. There is a cost per mile to own. Generally, only hear the horror stories. I will welcome constructive comments.

Few comments that might be useful:
Not 100% sure but think you should be ok with warranty. There are Model S longevity stories online. The high mile Model Ss featured in these stories are typically used for car service (one did routes between Las Vegas and LA). Drive train issues were addressed under warranty i believe. Google Tesloop. Note that I am not sure Cybertruck will have unlimited mile warranty. Model 3 miles are capped.

For hotel charging use PlugShare app or site. Will give you a good idea of coverage in areas you are interested in. Can also check tesla's site for destination charger coverage (also on PlugShare). As an aside i do hope that charger coverage is better in 2 years when cybertruck rolls out.

It is a $100 refundable pre-order fee so not a huge commitment to reserve now and see what happens.

Few comments that might be useful:
Not 100% sure but think you should be ok with warranty. There are Model S longevity stories online. The high mile Model Ss featured in these stories are typically used for car service (one did routes between Las Vegas and LA). Drive train issues were addressed under warranty i believe. Google Tesloop. Note that I am not sure Cybertruck will have unlimited mile warranty. Model 3 miles are capped.

For hotel charging use PlugShare app or site. Will give you a good idea of coverage in areas you are interested in. Can also check tesla's site for destination charger coverage (also on PlugShare). As an aside i do hope that charger coverage is better in 2 years when cybertruck rolls out.

It is a $100 refundable pre-order fee so not a huge commitment to reserve now and see what happens.

Thank you Greenboy. Yes, the inter-structure should increase in 2 years. coming to these forms, joining discourse, help me get head around making a purchase. I am looking dual-motor 300-mile version. arriving at my real-world range with the load/tools I carry, an estimate of a 204-mile range. Yes, the dual-motor is priced right. has my interest. I am putting down a deposit. Hoping with newer battery technology coming from maxwell would increase the unladen dual-motor range to 400 miles

Reactions: SmartElectric
This truck is hideous. I am so disappointed in the design of this vehicle. Ugh. It is so so so bad. I guess I'll look at the Rivian.
The truck is genius. It looks the way it does due to first principal thinking. Form follows function. Sharp angles due to Stainless steel construction. No paint for the same reason. Roll top bed cover due to aerodynamic efficiency and increased functionality. Minimalist interior due to...well, it's a Tesla! The list goes on and on. This truck will save me $6000 right off the top due to the lack of need to wrap in PPF and ceramic coat it like I did with my Model 3. And, I will name it Amana because it will look just like my refrigerator in stainless steel!

Dan

The truck is genius. It looks the way it does due to first principal thinking. Form follows function. Sharp angles due to Stainless steel construction. No paint for the same reason. Roll top bed cover due to aerodynamic efficiency and increased functionality. Minimalist interior due to...well, it's a Tesla! The list goes on and on. This truck will save me $6000 right off the top due to the lack of need to wrap in PPF and ceramic coat it like I did with my Model 3. And, I will name it Amana because it will look just like my refrigerator in stainless steel!

Dan

I had another post of a different tone on November 21st.......

The R1T
If I ever get my hands on mine I'll hire local graffiti artists to knock themselves out. Might become an annual event.
--

I would be stoked if Banksy would work mine over. But, you know some lifted diesel truck ICEing w@nker will key it or try to dent your doors etc. So I think I'll wrap mine with a cool and unique design. If some knuckle dragger does damage it, I can get it replaced easily, and my Sentry Mode will send the looser to the big house.

mattegodfatherwrap.jpg

th.jpg

81fddd2aa8f6a72d3b625977d60d3fa7.jpg

00bdf153257237.592defd53799b.jpg

Something like these I think will look cool on the CT.

The R1T is a nicer looking truck, and if they were the same price, or even close, I'd go for the Rivian. It seems more user friendly and the 'gear tunnel' idea is genius. Plus you can actually reach stuff in the bed. That said, I am very tired of every thing on the road looking the same, and I think I'll stick with my dual motor AWD CT.

Last edited:
I've been holding off on buying a new truck for about a year and have been waiting on the unveil.

The specs of the truck are exactly what I was looking for but it's going to take some time getting used to these looks. I suppose I'd still take it over a Rivian, so at this point you can say I am still deciding.

You will have plenty of time to get used to the "look", because if you order now with 650,000 orders in front of you, you'll probably take delivery in 2024/5.

will you order the FSD as well or you will wait it out?
I would pay $2,000 for FSD even though it's not likely to work properly for sometime yet and is not legal here in Australia, the current cruise standard on Mod3l 3 works well, it does however cause serious skipping of heartbeat when driving at 110kph and it sees a shadow on road as an obstacle and almost slams everyone into the windscreen, also cars cutting across at distance it does the same thing, it's a real pain making me turn it off a lot and take control.
I would never pay the recently announced 10k for FSD for the following reasons: 1 I simply don't do the freeway mileage to warrant it, 2 I actually enjoy being IN CONTROL at least of my car, 3 nobody can tell me how long it will be before FSD is legal in Australia or anywhere for that matter. 4 Tesla is receiving all this data from us all, the whole fleet not just those wanting FSD and not rewarding us for this participation so why is he pushing the price higher with every announcement, very disappointed in that.
5 BETA I suspect FSD will not function as we expect or desire for a fair time yet? maybe years so being asked to stump up !0k at this moment maybe more later who knows is to say the least a greedy way of helping fund the other projects, it's like a free loan for years no repayments and no interest paid, I know we paid couple of hundred to reserve our cars and they had those deposits a couple of years but that's not thousands of dollars tied up in a promise, that's my feeling on FSD.
But while on subject of Australia, Tesla seriously need to get charging network built, it seems it has stalled so long trips require careful planning.

Reactions: tccartier
I should’ve added FSD back then when reservation first open to lock in at a lower price & remove it later if I decided not to keep it, but now it cost $10,000!

IMHO FSD is not really worth it at any price unless you plan to vehicle share. Americans are too possessive to not own their own vehicles. It will be a long time coming. Autopilot provides the basics anyone needs for daily driving. The rest is mostly fluff.

Reactions: tccartier
Definitely a head turning design! I can't wait till we have a future of high range EVs. It will definitely make a vehicle like the Cyber truck practical to drive long distances with a trailer/camper. My other question is how easy will that bed get scratched, any information on that?