Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Auto Wipers Poll

Which Auto Wipers Issue Affects or Annoys You The Most?

• They go absolutely bat *sugar* crazy during a light drizzle.

Votes: 27 18.0%
  • They don't turn on even when raining hard.

Votes: 50 33.3%
  • They don't increase sensitivity even when you manually trigger them multiple times in a row.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • During the summer, bug spatter sets the wipers into drywipe overdrive.

Votes: 18 12.0%
  • During the winter, fogging causes dry wiping.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • They turn on during a completely dry and clear day.

Votes: 56 37.3%
  • All of the above, whats more to say.

Votes: 48 32.0%
  • None of the above, mine work great.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • It will never get fixed, as it doesn't rain enough in California for Tesla to care.

Votes: 36 24.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I got my car I had a test drive in the rain and they were as bad then as they are now - that was nearly 4 years ago.
I think their solution is letting us change the wiper speed using the scroll-wheel and turn auto off 👍

seeing rain on glass in the dark is virtually impossible which is one of the reasons it was a dumb design in the first place
It's very easy for me to the see the rain on the windscreen in the dark, but I think the issue is the cameras are so close to the screen they only see a small section of glass.

Whatever happened to the talk that they were going to start using all the cameras rather than just the front, to determine 'rain' rather than 'rain on windscreen'. TBH I can't identify any change in the wipers behaviour over the past 4 years, despite all manner of claims that updates make them better/worse.

There are fewer bugs around here this year compared to this time last year which seems to help.

To be honest i dont know the exact way of how the cameras determine the level of rain, whether its rain on the windscreen or picking up rain in the surrounding area, but what i noticed when looking at the windscreen when its raining, the location of the camera is not ideal for detecting as the rain sits heavier on the windscreen the lower down you are, so where its so high, its above our eyeline and therefore less rain on the windscreen. Also take into account the curvature of the windscreen, the top middle is the least covered in rain as the rain also gets pushed to the side of the windscreen when moving at speed.
Not sure how other brands rain sensors are better in the same location as i beleive they are all mounted there?

To be honest i dont know the exact way of how the cameras determine the level of rain, whether its rain on the windscreen or picking up rain in the surrounding area, but what i noticed when looking at the windscreen when its raining, the location of the camera is not ideal for detecting as the rain sits heavier on the windscreen the lower down you are, so where its so high, its above our eyeline and therefore less rain on the windscreen. Also take into account the curvature of the windscreen, the top middle is the least covered in rain as the rain also gets pushed to the side of the windscreen when moving at speed.
Not sure how other brands rain sensors are better in the same location as i believe they are all mounted there?
Does anyone know?

i went through the different camera views from service screen and i found the "Narrow" view was the best one to detect rain and see when the windscreen is clear after pressing the wiper button, I suggest you try it

The other views seem to show alot of smear or unclear views post wiping, if Tesla are using the other views this may be why the wipers are not great.

Just after my last update (2024.20.1) I thought the wipers seemed to be working well. Same again today. Rain was fairly light and they were operating on a fairly good intermittent basis - pause and then a double wipe.

What was interesting though was watching a continuous stream of cars coming in the opposite direction. I would say that 75% hadn't got the wipers on or if they had they were working on a similar intermittent basis to mine. Early days yet and need a lot more experience, particularly in the dark but I was quite hopeful that things might be getting better. Nothing in the release notes but you wouldn't expect that anyway.