Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Would you leave "walk up unlock" ON if you could disable *ONLY* at home?

Would you leave "walk up unlock" ON if you could disable *ONLY* at home?

• I like it exactly the way it is

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wish I could disable at home. Without option I have/will disable walk up unlock

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • I wish I could disable at home. Without option I have/will still enable walk up unlock

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Say it's late in the city. You're walking alone towards your car when you spot a gang of three emerge from an alley. They're running your way with ill intention. You barely make it to your Model 3 before them. What is the fastest way, and the best menu configuration, to unlock the doors in that situation and then lock them again once inside the car?

Say it's late in the city. You're walking alone towards your car when you spot a gang of three emerge from an alley. They're running your way with ill intention. You barely make it to your Model 3 before them. What is the fastest way, and the best menu configuration, to unlock the doors in that situation and then lock them again once inside the car?

You’re probably screwed as even if “Auto Unlock as you walk up” is enabled, relocking could take a few seconds as I believe you would have to use the screen to lock the doors. Using the app would likely be even slower: pull out phone; open and find Tesla app: wait for app to connect to car; tap on lock icon. Perhaps throwing it in gear and driving away rapidly would be your best hope. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Lem89
I do believe this situation was considered when they started taking reservations for the flamethrower.

But yes, drive and go would be best. Lock icon on the dash will lock the doors.

• Funny
Reactions: Lem89
Please email Tesla support your request. I have requested that the car remain unlocked inside my garage (geofence or home WiFi) over a year ago multiple times and tweeted EM, and nothing has happened. With the 3 owners coming aboard hopefully we can get louder.

• Helpful
Reactions: strykeroz
After waking up my iPhone, I swipe up and touch the Bluetooth icon and problem is solved. All this reminds me of what I learned as a kid, "Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill."
That doesn't work if you use bluetooth for anything else...for example the Apple Watch or other fitness device.

Reactions: kodek
After waking up my iPhone, I swipe up and touch the Bluetooth icon and problem is solved. All this reminds me of what I learned as a kid, "Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill."
Tesla has made a mountain by trying to fancy-up their mole hill. They broke the safety / security design that every other modern car has (including the S/X) by getting away from having some sort of physical key (fob, whatever) that has a physical switch on it that one can press once for the driver's door, and twice for all doors.

That angry mob might in fact be one bad person hiding next to the car on the passenger's side, just waiting for you to walk up and have all the doors unlock all at once, for example. The best you can do with the Model 3 is to turn off your Bluetooth and use the keycard, having had the forethought to have already configured the unlock to be drivers door only. Good luck doing that from your PIN-locked cell phone without diverting your attention away from your surroundings.

Tesla has made a mountain by trying to fancy-up their mole hill. They broke the safety / security design that every other modern car has (including the S/X) by getting away from having some sort of physical key (fob, whatever) that has a physical switch on it that one can press once for the driver's door, and twice for all doors.

That angry mob might in fact be one bad person hiding next to the car on the passenger's side, just waiting for you to walk up and have all the doors unlock all at once, for example. The best you can do with the Model 3 is to turn off your Bluetooth and use the keycard, having had the forethought to have already configured the unlock to be drivers door only. Good luck doing that from your PIN-locked cell phone without diverting your attention away from your surroundings.

Greg, have you tried disabling the walkup unlock and unlocking the car by pulling on the handle? This eliminates the needless unlocking and having to pull out the keycard or the phone (to use the app). This works well for me.

Greg, have you tried disabling the walkup unlock and unlocking the car by pulling on the handle? This eliminates the needless unlocking and having to pull out the keycard or the phone (to use the app). This works well for me.
This helps, absolutely! Probably it should be the default; safety first, after all.

But the system is still broken because you can't control which doors get unlock-enabled during the approach. With the traditional fob, one press unlocks the driver's door, and two unlocks all. So in the sketchy parking garage scenario, you would want to only unlock the driver's door if you were alone, and both doors if you have others with you. Setting the car to only unlock the driver's door prevents someone from getting in on the passenger side, but if you have others with you, they will have to wait outside for you to get in - all the way in - to fiddle with the screen and unlock the other doors. Some cars have unlock buttons on the driver's door arm rest, but the Model 3 doesn't. This makes it difficult to manage if you are carrying something (e.g. a young child), and potentially dangerous (or simply annoying if it's raining) for the folks who are standing outside.

Bottom line, there cannot be one setting that will work in all situations, because the required configuration is dynamic and situation-dependent, but only a single bit of information is available to trigger the preset action. And you can't depend on using your cell phone remotely to change the configuration, because the car can easily be out of cell coverage in a parking garage. If you have to wait until you are within Bluetooth range, you're already in the danger zone and shouldn't be fiddling with your phone.

Fob. Please.

This helps, absolutely! Probably it should be the default; safety first, after all.

But the system is still broken because you can't control which doors get unlock-enabled during the approach. With the traditional fob, one press unlocks the driver's door, and two unlocks all. So in the sketchy parking garage scenario, you would want to only unlock the driver's door if you were alone, and both doors if you have others with you. Setting the car to only unlock the driver's door prevents someone from getting in on the passenger side, but if you have others with you, they will have to wait outside for you to get in - all the way in - to fiddle with the screen and unlock the other doors. Some cars have unlock buttons on the driver's door arm rest, but the Model 3 doesn't. This makes it difficult to manage if you are carrying something (e.g. a young child), and potentially dangerous (or simply annoying if it's raining) for the folks who are standing outside.

Bottom line, there cannot be one setting that will work in all situations, because the required configuration is dynamic and situation-dependent, but only a single bit of information is available to trigger the preset action. And you can't depend on using your cell phone remotely to change the configuration, because the car can easily be out of cell coverage in a parking garage. If you have to wait until you are within Bluetooth range, you're already in the danger zone and shouldn't be fiddling with your phone.

Fob. Please.

Fob wouldn't necessarily help. Tesla Fobs don't have separate lock and unlock buttons, so it's one click to lock, two to unlock. So now you aren't asking to have a Fob like the Model S and X, you are saying that Tesla has never provided the solution you desire.

Fob wouldn't necessarily help. Tesla Fobs don't have separate lock and unlock buttons, so it's one click to lock, two to unlock. So now you aren't asking to have a Fob like the Model S and X, you are saying that Tesla has never provided the solution you desire.
Ok, interesting. I had read somewhere on TMC that you could use the Tesla S/X fob to differentiate between just the driver's door and all doors. Perhaps it was click-and-hold? I don't have either of those cars, so don't know from first hand experience. My wife's car (Honda CRV), however, does the one-vs-two click thing with the key fob, and she insisted on having such a feature in any car we bought.

Ok, interesting. I had read somewhere on TMC that you could use the Tesla S/X fob to differentiate between just the driver's door and all doors. Perhaps it was click-and-hold? I don't have either of those cars, so don't know from first hand experience. My wife's car (Honda CRV), however, does the one-vs-two click thing with the key fob, and she insisted on having such a feature in any car we bought.

I think you can set walk up unlock to only unlock the driver's door and manually unlock all the doors with either a fob or the phone (I'm not sure about the keycard, since I haven't actually tried using it yet).

Smart woman.
Robin

Reactions: gregd
I would like to see the card work on both sides of the model 3. My wife is blind so when I go to put her in the car I need to have her put her hands on the car while I go to the drivers side and unlock the car then I go to the passenger side and put her in. I can not use the phone as I have other bluetooth things and Tesla Bluetooth will not work with other bluetooth things connected.