Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Yoke, or Round ?

Poll: Yoke or Round

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I could see the yoke working ok on a cruise/fast road and could probably adapt just fine, and I like the cleaner look onto the dash and the view beyond.

BUT at lower speeds, reversing, 3+ point turns this is going to be a nightmare. For example I frequently do a reverse turn looking over my shoulder letting the wheel slip through my hand. I can also recall times when I’ve had to grab the rim quickly. I have also spent 40 yrs driving (mainly RHD) where my right hand is quite comfortably on the wheel at 1pm position and other hand on the armrest ready to manually change gear, mainly because I spent 15 yrs riving Group B rally cars and similar machinery.

I’ve also had wheels changed in road legal cars in the past ( eg, pop off racing wheel, or different diameter rim) but these days after-market companies or insurance companies will not allow this, for legal liability reasons.

The Yoke / Round wheel discussion seems more lively than all other aspects of the recent Plaid launch I’ve not seen a poll of it yet.

One thing I would like to see is for Tesla to provide two validated wheel options, as well as the option to change the wheel after taking delivery.

Throw in your comments below.

Last edited:
@PV4EV , how is this poll different from previous ones here on TMC? What new information are you trying to gather?

There has been plenty of threads and much commentary, but no straight forward Poll on this since the Plaid was launched into the hands of owners and youtubers.

At the time of this reply 90% seem in favour of a conventional wheel.

Here is one:
I think the polls are different for pre- and post- videos.

Before seeing the videos from owners, the poll overwhelmingly rejected the round steering wheel.

After seeing the videos, I think this poll tries to gauge whether the overwhelming rejection of the round steering wheel is still true.

Last edited:
Personally I could see the yoke working ok on a cruise/fast road and could probably adapt just fine, and I like the cleaner look onto the dash and the view beyond.

BUT at lower speeds, reversing, 3+ point turns this is going to be a nightmare. For example I frequently do a reverse turn looking over my shoulder letting the wheel slip through my hand. I can also recall times when I’ve had to grab the rim quickly.
I think the yoke is dangerous. Sure, its fine in race cars, but there you have very different steering, professional drivers etc etc. Basically a race driver will hold the yoke in one spot and never need to move his hands.

I can't imagine that working on a normal car. Either you WILL have to move your hands, which be virtually impossible with bits "missing" from the circle, OR the steering will have to be so sensitive that an untrained driver will probably crash the car in the first 5 minutes of driving.

There has been plenty of threads and much commentary, but no straight forward Poll on this since the Plaid was launched into the hands of owners and youtubers.

At the time of this reply 90% seem in favour of a conventional wheel.
This is one such thread with a poll.

While the thread goes back to Feb, the poll I believe was just added about Monday or Tuesday this past week. I was thinking there was one started as a separate thread and then possibly a couple merged together, which may be why it appears to not be that recent.
But my point stands ... there are several other recent threads in line with videos coming out in the past week. I really don't see a reason to get creating additional threads and posts on the same topic.
Just my opinion ... you of course are welcome to your own.

I think the polls are different for pre- and post- videos.

Before seeing the videos from owners, the poll overwhelmingly rejected the round steering wheel.

After seeing the videos, I think this poll tries to gauge whether the overwhelming rejection of the round steering wheel is still true.
It's a live poll (i.e. everyone can change their mind after seeing videos or experiencing the yoke, or after having more time to think about it). Actually, IIRC there was two separate poll threads merged into that one, including one started after delivery event.

Thanks to all who have shared their opinion. The results show more than 80% in favour of conventional wheel so far. The previous poll from February was split near 50:50 but was based on rendered images at the time. Now its out in the real World.

Perhaps the poll question should have been framed slightly differently -

“Should Tesla offer the choice of wheel :- YES / NO ” !!

We had chairs with three legs in the 70s. Guess how that ended.

Hah, yeah, I remember lowering my bulk onto one of those back in the day with sense of trepidation .. and yup, it splayed out, leaving me in a heap about 2 seconds later. With spokes in strange places!

three legged chair.jpg

Last edited:
After seeing how race driver Randy Pobst won the Pikes Peak with Tesla Model S Plaid with the rounded steering wheel, it confirms why the Yoke Steering wouldn't have a chance on a winding public road.

His hands have dominantly used the areas above the missing rounded part if it was the yoke steering wheel:

We'd have to have him put on a yoke steering wheel to see if he could do it or not to prove your very definitive conclusion. They had to replace the steering wheel one way or another, and maybe they just didn't have a yoke racing wheel handy.

We'd have to have him put on a yoke steering wheel to see if he could do it or not to prove your very definitive conclusion. They had to replace the steering wheel one way or another, and maybe they just didn't have a yoke racing wheel handy.

He did the race with the Tesla Model S Plaid with the yoke steering wheel but only on the race track and for only 3 laps. From then on, it has been rounded wheel and he has never gone back to the yoke even on the final winning day.

Just look at his hands, they were mostly at the top half circle where the yoke steering doesn't have. When he didn't use the upper half-circle, he used the whole circle for shuffling, gliding, applying friction, grabbing, anchoring, wedging, All this with a speed over 100 MPH most of the time, and on a public winding road.

Remember, this was a race so why would he choose the round wheel when he could easily swap back to the yoke wheel?

My guess is because it's a winding public road and not a race track.

He did the race with the Tesla Model S Plaid with the yoke steering wheel but only on the race track and for only 3 laps. From then on, it has been rounded wheel and he has never gone back to the yoke even on the final winning day.

Just look at his hands, they were mostly at the top half circle where the yoke steering doesn't have. When he didn't use the upper half-circle, he used the whole circle for shuffling, gliding, applying friction, grabbing, anchoring, wedging, All this with a speed over 100 MPH most of the time, and on a public winding road.

Remember, this was a race so why would he choose the round wheel when he could easily swap back to the yoke wheel?

My guess is because it's a winding public road and not a race track.

Well it still doesn't prove your statement, "Yoke Steering wouldn't have a chance on a winding public road."

The only way to prove it would be to have him use the yoke on Pikes Peak and see if his times drop.