Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor regen when reversing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't be daft. I have to start the car rolling off the rear pad and as I head down the driveway where the grade increases the car speed picks up despite the fact my foot is by now off the accelerator.

Have you actually driven the model 3? If you back off the accelerator when driving it slows down rapidly almost to a stop, in forward gear. One pedal driving does involve braking with the accelerator.

Don't be daft. I have to start the car rolling off the rear pad and as I head down the driveway where the grade increases the car speed picks up despite the fact my foot is by now off the accelerator.

Have you actually driven the model 3? If you back off the accelerator when driving it slows down rapidly almost to a stop, in forward gear. One pedal driving does involve braking with the accelerator.

Why not just use the brakes like every other call you have (presumably) backed down your driveway? If the car picks up speed when you don't want it to, that's on you as the driver to rectify, with the brakes. The fact that you are disappointed is also humorous to me. Just use the brakes and be good with the controlled descent. Are you disappointed that you have to use the brakes when driving the car and are in need of stopping quicker than what regen will do by itself? Not even sure how this is a real post...

I know this is an older post, but I understand completely what JPWhite is saying. When in reverse out of my driveway (which is actually flat), if I have regen braking on and release the accelerator, the car comes to a stop as if brakes are being applied. Is that not what regen braking does? Look I'm brand new to this car so maybe its that there is no inertial rolling like with combustion cars, but reverse is the one time I wish it wouldn't just stop. Is creep the best way to accomplish that? Is there any way to have creep only on reverse because I like the brake hold at red lights and stuff.

Just took delivery of my M3 two days ago so thanks for the forum everyone! It's been a huge help to a newbie here!

I know this is an older post, but I understand completely what JPWhite is saying. When in reverse out of my driveway (which is actually flat), if I have regen braking on and release the accelerator, the car comes to a stop as if brakes are being applied. Is that not what regen braking does? Look I'm brand new to this car so maybe its that there is no inertial rolling like with combustion cars, but reverse is the one time I wish it wouldn't just stop. Is creep the best way to accomplish that? Is there any way to have creep only on reverse because I like the brake hold at red lights and stuff.

Just took delivery of my M3 two days ago so thanks for the forum everyone! It's been a huge help to a newbie here!

Put it in Roll mode, not hold. Hold applies reverse torque at low speeds to slow you. Roll mode does not. At these speeds, there isn't enough regen to significantly slow the car, hence the reverse torque application.