Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor sensitivity for rain with Auto setting on Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes! I just tried this after your suggestion. Just had my first instance of soft misty rain, the type which usually takes the longest to build up before the wipers come on. They came on almost too early! I changed the sensitivity to the lower setting and they were working perfectly for the first time ever.

I'll update once I've been in different rain types, but so far this looks like the solution

There is a settings for sensitivity?

Ya me too. Auto wiper works great until it starts to rain. So I would say it works 90% of the time, which is fine by me.

So, auto wipers work great when it is not raining? Got it. Since in SoCal it only rains about 10 days a year, they work 97% of the time here!

I would like Tesla to implement a sensitivity setting for the auto-wipers. I find mine too aggressive.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I was going to suggest that the auto wipe system ought to have a faster/slower adjustment so the driver can pick what they like....but then I realized that I would be futzing with it all the time since sometimes the car wipes too aggressively and other times it is too slow. So, instead I just want Tesla to fix it right

I was going to suggest that the auto wipe system ought to have a faster/slower adjustment so the driver can pick what they like....but then I realized that I would be futzing with it all the time since sometimes the car wipes too aggressively and other times it is too slow. So, instead I just want Tesla to fix it right

In all the complaining about how lousy the "Autowipers (Beta)" works, forgot to mention that rotating the wiper lever is suppose to adjust the sensitivity... see page 63 of the MS manual (I had to see if that's what it's intended to do).

It does seem to adjust the sensitivity from "lousy" to "lousier" to "really lousy"

In all the complaining about how lousy the "Autowipers (Beta)" works, forgot to mention that rotating the wiper lever is suppose to adjust the sensitivity... see page 63 of the MS manual (I had to see if that's what it's intended to do).

It does seem to adjust the sensitivity from "lousy" to "lousier" to "really lousy"

err...you're in the model 3 forum...no such feature exists here.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Oh, I assumed that the two settings before switching it to override (speed settings 1 and 2) were for less and more responsive respectively, to precipitation. Are you saying that they are the same as each other when in auto wiper mode?

There is a total of five settings but only one Auto:

• 1: Intermittent, slow
• 2: Intermittent, fast
• 3: Continuous, slow
• 4: Continuous, fast
AUTO

The first four settings are dumb settings (will be on regardless without using the NN)

PoitNarf, great post! Thanks for the laughs.

Here in SoCal, my M3's wipers don't get much of a workout - but recently it's actually been quite damp, by local standards anyway. My experience with Auto Wipe hasn't been great. It waits until visibility is significantly hampered before wiping, so like others here I'm rather unimpressed. Futzing with the touch screen in the driving rain isn't ideal, so kudos to Tezla's idea about using the stalk button to bring up the wiper menu.

A proper rain sensor would be great, but we're not likely to see an upgrade for that. What might be possible with software is a rain sensitivity control, so drivers who prefer a more frequent wipe can wind up the threshold. How about it, Tesla?