Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche 911 owner -- drove P85+ yesterday -- deposit placed -- MANY QUESTIONS :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what its worth I am the type of person who has buyer's remorse on everything.

Everything except the P85+ Tesla I bought at the beginning of the year and received in May. 11,000 miles (including an EV rally from Canada to Mexico and back) later and I am happier each day with the car. It is terrific and the best purchase I have ever made.

Your Wh/mi may vary but I would not worry.

OK guys -- a little more than 7 hours to go until the point of no return. I have been the Bay Area Tesla stores no less than 6 times and have spent hours staring at different colors. I'll admit I have problems :)

I think I've decided --> P85+ (unchanged) but instead of grey I'm thinking blue, grey 21" wheels, tan performance seats, obeche gloss, tech, sound, cf spoiler, fogs, sensors, air, pano roof. phew.

I wanted a change from the grey I decided (my current 911 is seal grey, soon for sale). I felt like I loved the pearl white but only when it was someone else's car. I loved the other colors, but something about the classic blue/tan combo coupled with the grey wheels has drawn me in. I know blue will be more difficult to maintain.

Anyway, I'll confirm once the order goes through. And will let you know if I change my mind in the next few hours :)

OK guys -- a little more than 7 hours to go until the point of no return. I have been the Bay Area Tesla stores no less than 6 times and have spent hours staring at different colors. I'll admit I have problems :)

I think I've decided --> P85+ (unchanged) but instead of grey I'm thinking blue, grey 21" wheels, tan performance seats, obeche gloss, tech, sound, cf spoiler, fogs, sensors, air, pano roof. phew.

I wanted a change from the grey I decided (my current 911 is seal grey, soon for sale). I felt like I loved the pearl white but only when it was someone else's car. I loved the other colors, but something about the classic blue/tan combo coupled with the grey wheels has drawn me in. I know blue will be more difficult to maintain.

Anyway, I'll confirm once the order goes through. And will let you know if I change my mind in the next few hours :)

Do it! Color is personal, but VERY excited about P85+. Coming from a 911 myself, you will LOVE this car--and I mean LOVE it! My 911 would collect dust even on the weekend--I take out the + every chance I get. The one thing I can tell you is different--no one really looked at the 911 (new 991 4S), the Tesla gets looks EVERY time I'm out in it.

VERY EXCITED FOR YOU!!

Reading the forums sort of helps. But you read a lot about problems people are having, both big and small. That ends up making me question whether ordering was good decision.

Forums often disproportionately accentuate problems people are having because those owners with complaints are more likely to post about them. Owners with no problems spend less time on forums: they are out driving their car!

Hang in there...

For what its worth I am the type of person who has buyer's remorse on everything.

Everything except the P85+ Tesla I bought at the beginning of the year and received in May. 11,000 miles (including an EV rally from Canada to Mexico and back) later and I am happier each day with the car. It is terrific and the best purchase I have ever made.

Your Wh/mi may vary but I would not worry.

What a great testimonial. You + owners sure are happy. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Great choices - - - The blue has a certain sparkle in the sunlight. Paired with the tan performance seats, and the grey wheels. Oh boy. - - - Congratulations. I hope you have some champagne chilling for tonight.

I am looking forward to grin as relief. I guess I am no a patient waiter. I've been on an emotional roller coaster (rare for me) waiting for the car. I need to get myself re-grounded in the "I love this car!!" space. Reading the forums sort of helps. But you read a lot about problems people are having, both big and small. That ends up making me question whether ordering was good decision. For me I think it is a little easier to test drive a car, purchase on the spot and drive away. I look forward to forgetting all about that once I have my car.

What's helping me with the "jitters" is that every Friday I get to ride in my friend's Tesla when a group of us go out to dinner. Tonight we figured out how to program my garage door opener with the Tesla so that I know what to do when I get my car and he now has access to my 14-50 if he needs it when I'm not around.

You just described my car. Add rear facing seat, alcantara headliner, premium interior lighting, and paint protection and I would think you stole my car! :biggrin:
Then again, I don't have sensors or foglights (yet) since they were not offered at the time, but since I saved a ton over the revised pricing I think I can swing a retrofit if I decide they are worth it.

Tons of compliments on the color combo. I gotta say, I feel like I was really leaning towards the silver wheels, but the grey are really striking in person and compliments the blue very well. It's a phenomenal car.

That's a nice config, alright! Just out of curiosity, what made you go with the cf spoiler? I reasoned that it only really went with the cf trim (which you did not go for) and grey wheels (which you did). Any performance benefit it provides is surely negated by the corresponding reduction in range (due to higher RR) and the high (bordering-on-ridiculous) cost. As a no-charge option it was a no-brainer, but at $1500?

That's a nice config, alright! Just out of curiosity, what made you go with the cf spoiler? I reasoned that it only really went with the cf trim (which you did not go for) and grey wheels (which you did). Any performance benefit it provides is surely negated by the corresponding reduction in range (due to higher RR) and the high (bordering-on-ridiculous) cost. As a no-charge option it was a no-brainer, but at $1500?

I agree the cost is too high, but it really does look great, especially with the grey 21" wheels.

OK Porsche owners who bought Tesla. This guy is telling us that if you are really shopping in Tesla category you should consider Porsche Panamera. Is that right?
Probably depends what you're looking for. The Panamera's handling feels more crisp and responsive, even compared to the P85+, and they're certainly in the same price range. The interior quality of the Porsche is better than the S, especially the seats.

on the other hand, it doesn't feel quite as special as the S. The instant torque is hard to put a price on, since there's not really anything available right now that can replicate that. The S has what seems like infinitely more usable storage.

Potential owners should definitely check them both out if the Porsche seems appealing. The Panamera is certainly the S's most direct competitor, in my mind.

FWIW ConsumerReports gives the nod to the S. It will be interesting to see how the reported reliability changes the review score of the S in the coming year. I feel like reading the forums gives a potentially skewed view on just how many problems are occurring for owners. Maybe statistically problems are lower than the competition, its so very hard to tell.

Probably depends what you're looking for. The Panamera's handling feels more crisp and responsive, even compared to the P85+, and they're certainly in the same price range. The interior quality of the Porsche is better than the S, especially the seats.

I would argue that the Panamera is in a price bracket one step above the Model S. A comparably-equipped Panamera GTS (near as I could get; Porsche has a ridiculous amount of options!) is over $152K CAD, whereas a spec'd-out P85+ is just over $135K CAD. I suppose you could get a GTS for the price of a Model S, but it would not be similarly-equipped.

I would argue that the Panamera is in a price bracket one step above the Model S. A comparably-equipped Panamera GTS (near as I could get; Porsche has a ridiculous amount of options!) is over $152K CAD, whereas a spec'd-out P85+ is just over $135K CAD. I suppose you could get a GTS for the price of a Model S, but it would not be similarly-equipped.
It depends on what you want, certainly. Their starting prices are about the same. The Porsche has tons of options that can run up the price, but most of them aren't even things that are available on the S (adaptive cruise, lane departure, etc.), so it's not terribly fair to hold that against it. Indeed, I was only able to come up with about $2100 of options in the US that overlap with Model S's offerings (mostly tech and smartphone remote access stuff). That puts the 440HP GTS at around $115k and the 420HP 4S at $100k USD. Pretty similar to the P85, and the $85k Panamera 4 gets you pretty close to an S85. Maybe there's more markup on the Porsche in Canada?

In all cases it's going to be slower in a straight line because of the S's huge amount of torque, but they're certainly comparable cars in both price and performance, at least in the US.

on the other hand, it doesn't feel quite as special as the S. The instant torque is hard to put a price on, since there's not really anything available right now that can replicate that. The S has what seems like infinitely more usable storage.

Potential owners should definitely check them both out if the Porsche seems appealing. The Panamera is certainly the S's most direct competitor, in my mind.

OK Porsche owners who bought Tesla. This guy is telling us that if you are really shopping in Tesla category you should consider Porsche Panamera. Is that right?

Well... if you listen past those comments the review is pretty solid. Even if what he says is accurate, they still give it phenomenal praise...