Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it should be a good car.

It all boils down to: will Porsche embark on creating a global network of this 300kW chargers to support their car and enable longer travels? Or even just 150kW CCS stations? Or maybe join SC network?
This is a necessary feature for it to be a good EV.

Without such a network, it will be castrated to 50kW CCS chargers wherever one could find them to be and work.
What good is that?

I've never understood this 800V fast charging talk. Battery charging rate is limited by how fast it can be charged without permanent damage not voltage. That's the point to tapering the charge rate. Unless Porsche is going to use some new chemistry, I don't see how they can radically lessen charging time without cooking the battery.

I have been wondering about that as well. Every article I see about this car states the "reduced charge time due to going to 800 volt" as the biggest feature of this car and the main innovation.

The only reason I do not outright call this 800 volt / 15 min / 90 kWh specification a fantasy is that Porsche got this out all over the press big time and worldwide. Imagine the PR backlash in case they overlooked something this basic. They will look like being quite incompetent in the EV area.

Or am I missing something ?

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
WRT 15 minute charging: perhaps they will fit batteries with much larger actual capacity, say 200 kWh @ 800V, but only rate them for 90 kWh.

It would be heavier and more expensive, but would provide very fast charging and extremely long life, plus a fantastic "limp" home capability. The heavier is perhaps not as bad as it might seem because the weight is so low and centered and the maximum power draw would be huge. As far as the expense, it's a Porsche!

800v * 400a = 300kW+ is the likely Porsche configuration. How fast that actually charges a real battery is anybody's guess, but with current technology (and dependability), it would have to be a very large and heavy battery.

Perhaps some combo of capacitors (used successfully on large busses in China) with batteries.

Yes, at public charge stations that currently exist, it will still be limited to 50 KW or below.

800v * 400a = 300kW+ is the likely Porsche configuration. How fast that actually charges a real battery is anybody's guess, but with current technology (and dependability), it would have to be a very large and heavy battery.

Perhaps some combo of capacitors (used successfully on large busses in China) with batteries.

Yes, at public charge stations that currently exist, it will still be limited to 50 KW or below.
If you are trying to charge the battery to 80% full like the Porsche claim, having onboard capacitors will not help. It would help on the charger side (to offset grid load).

Interview with Porsche's NA CEO Klaus Zellmer on Mission E in article Fortune titles "Porsche Thinks It Can Do Electric Cars Better Than Tesla"

Porsche NA CEO Klaus Zellmer Says They Are Ready to Take On Tesla - Fortune

The headline is misrepresenting Porsche's CEO comments, by giving it slightly different flavour than was intended. He stated:

We look at what Elon Musk has done with Tesla, and we have great respect for the company. Can we do it as well or better? We’re taking up the challenge. I think we can.

That is perfectly reasonable and respectful comment. Imagine a competitor CEO that says 'Tesla is too good, we can not match that'.

I would expect Porsche and many other car makers to be able to build as good or perhaps even better bev's than Tesla. They are well positioned to develop that capability. They all lack willingness to switch technologies, for numerous reasons. If there is no willingness, it might be extremely difficult to push through technological boundaries.

Disappointing (to me) that the only context in which Zellmer was discussing sustainability was in reference to the health of the company and brand.

He seems quite focused on his company and their mission, which is quite different to Tesla's mission.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
They say they are aiming for a 800V system voltage instead of 400V which they say is typical now (what does the Model S have?) - that would cut the needed current at same charge rate by a factor of two and therefore reduce the heat build up. But no charging infrastructure there for this yet, though they still have a few years until 2019. We´ll see if Porsche time is any quicker than Tesla/Elon time ;).

Must admit I like the design, while it is in no way as everyday-usable as a Model S. And, still a just a concept, not even a prototype.
They do have a very cool web site if you want to see more.

View attachment 94121
View attachment 94123

this looks SPECTACULAR!

As a Porsche owner, I get monthly newsletters from two local dealerships. This month they feature the Mission E. I read the story hoping to learn more, but the article has no substance other than mentioning it will be fast charging. Will this be a halo vehicle priced like the 918? Will this be an everyday Porsche? What will the range be? I could get excited about a Boxster/Cayman with an electric drivetrain. The concept car looks kind of like a Panamera electrified.

I reserved a model S a couple of years before it came out. I had an idea of the base price, size, and performance. The Porsche seems to be vapor ware in comparison. I am too big for the original Tesla roadster so I will just have to wait for the next Roadster.

Reactions: jbcarioca
At this point I think the Porsche Mission E is vaporware. That is why Porsche gives out almost no specifics about it. Porsche is late to the EV party, and if they wait much longer they have a bleak future. The Model S has taken a lot of sales from the Panamera, and the X is going to take a lot of Cayenne sales.

I have owned several Porsches. It seems quite unlikely that I will ever own another one.

Sometime deep in the last century, I had a Porsche ---- Fast (cops loved it), low center of gravity for quick turns (cops loved it).....Could not take a picnic basket anywhere. LOUD engine behind my ear. Could not see over guard rails so scenery was a blur. Other than it being a chick magnet there was not much substance to the design.
Now- the MS seems to be capable of passengers, being quiet, and with two trunks might be good for a picnic, its sedan height can display scenery, and then there is the Porsche performance+. And I no longer need a chick magnet.
As ecarfan said "I have owned several Porsches. It seems quite unlikely that I will ever own another one." might apply to me..regardless of current Porsche design moves.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff and lklundin