Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan Is Completing Its Final Test Drives: Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the time the Taycan arrives in California at the end of this year or early next year there should be around 160 Electrify America locations in California with about 50 along highways with 350 kW charging and another 110 or so urban charging locations most of which will have 150 kW charging. That’s pretty comparable to what Tesla May have in California by the end of this year although Tesla will have many more charging spaces at each of their sites because they will have many more cars on the road. Tesla’s sites will also likely be a bit more evenly spread out.

Today there are only 2 highway sites in CA (with 350 kW charging) and 3 urban sites with only 50 kW charging but 27 additional sites are in development (permits, construction).

There are already about 100 EA sites open nationally with 350 kW charging but the California locations have gotten a slow start for various reasons.

Where can we find information on the 350Kw charger locations? I looked on their website and this map, Charging with us | Electrify America gave no details on which site had 350 Kw chargers? I know at the Livermore,CA location there 12 or so EA chargers but only 1 has 350KW capabilities.

Where can we find information on the 350Kw charger locations? I looked on their website and this map, Charging with us | Electrify America gave no details on which site had 350 Kw chargers? I know at the Livermore,CA location there 12 or so EA chargers but only 1 has 350KW capabilities.
There are two 350 kW charging spaces at Livermore just like there are at essentially every “highway” location regardless of the number of total DC charging spaces (ranging between 4 and 10 right now). I just got back from a 4,500 mile road trip from California up around Canada and back and charged at quite a few rural Electrify America sites in Idaho and Montana. They all had two 350 kW charging spaces.

“Community” or metro locations typically don’t have 350 kW charging and will be mostly 150 kW although some will be 50 kW. These metro sites are located in 17 regions in the first 30-month phase of development with a few more being added in the second phase which ends on Dec. 31, 2021.

By the end of this year EA says they will have a bit over 300 highway sites and around 200 community sites for a total of about 500 sites. There are 628 open Tesla Supercharger sites nationally right now. Tesla is clearly well ahead of the curve and is rapidly expanding so the two networks are not and will not soon be equivalent. However, the CCS charging network will be dramatically better by the end of this year than it was last year.

The highway vs community charging distinction is vaguely like Tesla’s regular Supercharging sites with paired 145 kW charging vs their Urban Supercharger sites with dedicated 72 kW charging.

Electrify America’s location map is static right now — it doesn’t dynamically show equipment status and as you noticed it doesn’t give charging power details. They will be releasing a new phone app soon and I sort of expect that they will revamp the website around the same time to show more details on their location map. In any case, it’s obviously a work in progress.

Although I like Tesla and own a model S, I'm really looking forward to seeing this car in person and perhaps taking a test drive. I think the more electrification the better! Having said that I'm ready to be a little disappointed on the looks, the original concept was great but something tells me Porsche watered it down to look like a panamera that has lost a little weight..

Ditto, I'm in the DC area, can't find one here either.
There isn’t much around DC yet except for the open location (Electrify America HQ) in Reston, VA and a 10 charger site in Stafford, VA that is nearing completion. By the end of this year there should be around 7 sites in the larger DC region including 2 in DC proper.

You can see the “Cycle 1” sites (green dots) that will be installed by the end of this year around DC in this map from a recent Electrify America planning document. The dark “routes covered” lines show enhanced coverage areas being added in 2020-2021.

17730210-BC2B-4E93-B940-22B4F01BD45B.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenoilphobe