Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche is promoting that driving their new car will be lots of fun. Tesla is moving more to advancing the self driving technology.

People that want to go screeming around corners in the mountains or on the track, will be interested in the Taycan. Kind of a boy racer thing.

Tesla is not promoting the S or 3 as being the quickest around corners. It is more personal transportation than race car.They are providing more of a mainstream driving experience with fun when you want it and autopilot for when you are not on roads where agressive driving is desired. Rush hour traffic or long drives down the highway are where Autopilot will be best valued.

Kind of think of Porsche doing what they do best. Giving an outlet for owners that want to drive aggressively. Great balanced handling a firmer ride and the Ego boost from owning a car capable of going on the track.

Basically what they are presenting is an EV with additional cooling to enable fast driving for longer periods. They will pick their races. Of course endurance racing (Where Porsche normaily does pretty well) will be horrible for the Taycan, as it carries a relatively small battery with severly limited endurance at speed). It will mostly be a show pony for under 30 minute sprints.

This Taycan will be fun, but when the New Roadster comes out, it definitely will take it's place lower down the totem pole :)

Do you guys read the EV news sites/magazines/papers or watch YouTube videos - Tesla's are wiping the track all over the world- there are 100's of YouTube videos for your eyes to see for yourself. And Tesla doesnt promote their cars at ALL!! Model 3Performance can do ANYTHING Taycan can do for half the price- YouTube!

Believe this is what people are going to find out after the Taycan is put up against the Model 3P in magazine tests as well.

Right now all the hype is that Porsche is going to be a spectacular track capable car. Don't believe that it will find anywhere the market that the Model 3 will dominate.

"but the Model S, while pulling like crazy in a straight line, feels like a boat to me. I expect the Porsche to be more agile."

-It doesnt make sense because your inference doesnt make sense- you drove one Model S and made an assessment about ALL Model S's because of the one- ???????
Still doesn't compute. And nowhere did I say that I only drove one Model S.

I took it more to mean "Pulling" hard in a straight line and losing ground once the twistys start. I don't think the S was ever touted as a track car. Amazing for a lot of reasons but not one to take on a Porsche on a road track. I doubt many here would disagree. The model 3 however...Someone abvove mentioned the power per performance balance. Is the Porsche worth nearly $50k to $100k more?

where can i charge my porsche if i drive from denver to cali to wisconsin and back>? thats the real question. It will be a cool looking car and likely cool driving and styling car and most will just drive around town(like leaf and bmw i3 owners) and have a charger in the garage- which is fine.Its all good and i like the looks of it but for that price i want the ability to drive and recharge easily across country: if i choose.

I took it more to mean "Pulling" hard in a straight line and losing ground once the twistys start. I don't think the S was ever touted as a track car. Amazing for a lot of reasons but not one to take on a Porsche on a road track. I doubt many here would disagree. The model 3 however...Someone abvove mentioned the power per performance balance. Is the Porsche worth nearly $50k to $100k more?

Yes, the Porsche will be $50-$100k more of a car. The Taycan will be at a much higher level of luxury, materials, overall driver engagement, and faster around the track at the higher price points. Go sit in a new Panamera or Cayenne and you'll understand.

Some people are willing to pay for the difference. Look at the Corvette versus the 911. Corvettes have always been half the price with equal or better performance. But the materials, quality, and driving experience is not the same. That's why a lot of people continue to buy 911's. This doesn't degrade the Model 3 in any way. It's a different car, in a different market and price point. Each is really for a different set of buyers.

• Love
Reactions: shrink and VQTRVA
where can i charge my porsche if i drive from denver to cali to wisconsin and back>? thats the real question. It will be a cool looking car and likely cool driving and styling car and most will just drive around town(like leaf and bmw i3 owners) and have a charger in the garage- which is fine.Its all good and i like the looks of it but for that price i want the ability to drive and recharge easily across country: if i choose.
Most people don't take a sports car on long distance trips .

I would think a 4 door 911 isn't a long distance cruiser so the long distance charging isn't a priority for Porsche.

German TV show Auto Mobil aired a comparison of Porsche Taycan vs. MSP100D.

Key takeaways:

Porsche is
- much more expensive (180,000s vs 103,000 Euro)
- less efficient (23 kWh/100km vs. 20)
- much less range (after 90 km the Porsche had 50% range left
- did not hold up to the charging speed Porsche had promised; charged only about as fast as a Tesla (Porsche had been boasting about 270 kW charging; in reality only close to 150 were possible and above 50% SOC charging was further limited so that charging took twice as long an expected)

- accelerated faster than the Model SP
- allowed many more fast accelerations, whereas the Model S got slower and slower after several acceleration tests
- much better build quality (the doors, lift gate and the seals on the Tesla were not aligned very well; Porsche top quality)
- handling was much better than the Tesla

Their conclusion:
If money is not a consideration, the Porsche is the better sports sedan.

My conclusion:
1. Money is a consideration (almost always)
2. Porsche is 8 years behind
3. Porsche is especially behind in the realm of battery, efficiency, charging and software in general

4. Porsche does offer an attractive EV for those people that can live with the disadvantages: performance, fun to drive, build quality; Porsche leveraged their experience in building exceptional cars.

I am sure Tesla will be working on 4. and catch up or pass Porsche's offering within a year.
FREE So. 13.10.2019 17:00 Thema heute u.a.: Porsche Taycan mit Alex Heute gibt es u.a. dieses Themen: Tesla oder Porsche? Wer baut den besseren Elektro-Sportwagen? Alex Bloch und Albert Königshausen schicken den brandneuen Porsche Taycan in den Härtetest gegen das Tesla Model S.

Last edited: