Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable Gen 3 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible? I looked at it with the same thought and as pretty convinced it would be easy. Nothing ever changed my mind, but I decided to keep an MC in the car and permanently mount the WC.

Without provisoning? Well, got to do it at least once, right? Otherwise it should not care or know. Mind you I did not actually make mine portable, so....

Some people have put a range plug on the wall connector but you’re not supposed to. Once commissioned initially it will remember the settings, but if you then connect it to a lower amperage outlet later you have to re-commission it.

It’s pretty big and bulky and I don’t see why you would want it to be “portable” especially with a glass faceplate. More easily removable maybe if you already have a 14-50 outlet and/or you don’t anticipate staying at your current house for long.

Reactions: father_of_6
Yes its possible, and pretty easy to see why, its a 22kW AC charger for $750... bargain. However, in today's world, its highly unlikely they it would be required. You would also have to manually set the maximum current constantly via WiFi depeding on what you were plugged into; pretty annoying an potentially dangerous if you forgot.

I am still dirty that the Gen 2 UMC isn't 11kW 3ph compatible.

Last edited:
Um. So, you get the biggest amperage connector type that can be socketed/plugged with 240 VAC, and that's a NEMA14-50. Using the 80% rule, that means that the maximum power you're going to get out of the thing is 40*240 = 9.6 kW.

Now, if you use a TMC (the mobile cable) and any kind of 240V socket, the TMC limits the max current to 32A. There's various reasons for this, but 32A max is what you get, NEMA14-50 or not.

The power from that arrangement is 32*240 = 7.68 kW.

Now, say that you're down to 50 miles on a LR car (let's say, 320 miles @100% charge); and you want to get to 90% charge; that's 288 miles. So, you want to add 230 miles.

Let's say you've got a Model Y LR; that's 270 W-hr/mile. So, 230 miles * 270W-hr/mile = 62.1 kW-hr.

At 9.6 kW, this would take you 62.1 kW-hr/9..6kW = 6.46 hours.
At 7.68 kW, this would take you 62.1 kW-hr/7.68kW = 8.05 hours.

So, 2.5 hours difference. Deal is, both times are what I would classify as, "Overnight." Neither would be that much help if, say, you're stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere and need to charge to keep on going. And if you were stuck in extremis and needed to do something like that (to go, say, 100 miles to a Supercharger), the difference in time between the two would shrink.

I dunno, I wouldn't bother.

And, @Zoltrix77, you said that the Gen 3 could do 22 kW. No offense, but I think the Gen 3's max current is 48A. 48x240 = 11.52 kW. But that requires a 60A circuit and I don't think that there's a NEMA socket that can do that.

I happen to own a Gen 2 that, indeed, can do 80A on a 100A circuit for 80*240 = 19.2 kW. But that's definitely a hardwired circuit. And you need a car that can actually sink such a load; I think that that setting is there for early Model S's.

So, you get the biggest amperage connector type that can be socketed/plugged with 240 VAC, and that's a NEMA14-50. Using the 80% rule,
And, @Zoltrix77, you said that the Gen 3 could do 22 kW. No offense, but I think the Gen 3's max current is 48A. 48x240 = 11.52 kW. But that requires a 60A circuit and I don't think that there's a NEMA socket that can do that.

Mate, you might want to check which forum you're posting in before going on a rant.

This is the Asia/Pacific -> Australia Forum and our wall connectors can do 32A three phase or 22kW and we don't have a silly 80% rule here.

Mate, you might want to check which forum you're posting in before going on a rant.

That wasn't a rant... Tronguy is incredibly helpful and has provided detailed responses to many, many threads.

Since threads from any subforum can appear in "new", it's very easy to read and respond to a thread without ever noticing which subforum it's from. Most of the time that added context doesn't matter, but occasionally (like in this case), it does. I've made this mistake myself (but didn't get roasted for it like Tronguy, luckily).

Is it possible to make a Gen 3 wall connector portable?

I suppose it is possible to make a tail for the Gen 3 instead of hard wiring
But can it be plug and play without all the commissioning ?
Yes, I did this back in 2016. Keep in mind that if you use it often on road trips so are packing and unpacking it constantly it will eventually fail.

Um. So, you get the biggest amperage connector type that can be socketed/plugged with 240 VAC, and that's a NEMA14-50. Using the 80% rule, that means that the maximum power you're going to get out of the thing is 40*240 = 9.6 kW.
Here it's not uncommon to find AS/NZS 3123 32A 3-phase sockets in places like showgrounds, which can do 22kW. That's the kind of plug they'd be putting on it.

This is the Asia/Pacific -> Australia Forum and our wall connectors can do 32A three phase or 22kW and we don't have a silly 80% rule here.
Right, sorry ‘bout that.

Interesting, though. In the US/Canada, a circuit rated for, say, 30A has a circuit breaker whose nominal tripping point with a steady load is also 30A. Plus or minus manufacturing variations. So, with a continuous steady load, one wouldn’t run 30A, since, for one thing, across a bunch of these breakers half would trip; for another thing, it stresses such a breaker so it would fail early, and failed breakers, open but especially failed closed, are considered to be a Bad Thing. Hence, the 80% of rating rule.

I guess that in the system Down Under the actual breaker trip points are 120% the printing on the label.

Under the actual breaker trip points are 120% the printing on the label.
It's interesting. I asked my electrician that. I said how can a breaker be rated to 32A and also continuously supply 32A. He said that's normal. Circuit breaker standard is AS60898 and electrician said Short circuit rating is in kA. For example one Short circuit rating is often 6000A for a 32A CB.

Last edited: