Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing because of the arbitrary 350xxx employee starting numbers and 36xxxx public starting numbers that there are other arbitrary queues/numbers for Tesla's tracking. They wanted to count the doubles so maybe they setup another queue. I guess I would be surprised that it was a delay in credit card processing for doubles charging $2000 when we don't see a bunch of single orders with similar issues trying to charge $1000 for the first time on their cards. I know a ton of people that got fraud alerts trying to do the $1000 and had to call their credit card companies or use their phone to clear it immediately before allowing the charge at all. Not just a delay in processing. I'm thinking there is more to it than credit card stuff.

Either one of us could be right. I am guessing that the 35xxxx for employees was because they were reserving 2 weeks before non employees could reserve. If the number is linear for all Tesla's then add some employees, space X employees, Model X orders, CPO orders, Model S orders and you get to about 36xxxx in 2 weeks from 3/15 to 3/31. After the line up the number accelerates quick. It jumped from 36xxxx (first European/Australian orders) to 42xxxx for online orders in just the first day. If something happened (maybe you are right not due to credit card auth) but maybe some got stuck in the system somehow until the next day then that would easily explain the high 4xxxxx or low 5xxxxx numbers without having multiple queues.

one important thing to note: If this indeed a global number, ie a count of all Tesla reservations over time, a mix of Roadster, S, X, and 3....you're going to have a hard time nailing down your spot in line for Model 3.

Unless they've compartmentalized their numbering convention (it appears they haven't), new Model S and X reservations are going to be mixed in with these numbers.

So the 1st Model 3 reservation may have started at "369xxx" (just an example), but there are almost certainly reservation numbers for other vehicles sprinkled in.

Definitely true, but I think it's still helpful for those of us who really care where we are in line. Most people who care reserved somewhere between March 31 and April 1, so the number of "noise" vehicles (for the purpose of determining where in the queue your Model 3 reservation is) is pretty low. There were probably at most 50? 100? Model S and X reserved that day. Obviously the longer after 3/31 you reserved the greater the inaccuracy in terms of Model 3.

Definitely true, but I think it's still helpful for those of us who really care where we are in line. Most people who care reserved somewhere between March 31 and April 1, so the number of "noise" vehicles (for the purpose of determining where in the queue your Model 3 reservation is) is pretty low. There were probably at most 50? 100? Model S and X reserved that day. Obviously the longer after 3/31 you reserved the greater the inaccuracy in terms of Model 3.

good point about more "noise".

Also important to note that Tesla moved all in-store resources to Model 3 from 3/31 until probably at least 4/2 in most, if not all, locations.

So any noise would have been online only for a good 2-3 day period.

Still....unless we know what the global order count was just before Australia opened for business on 3/31 their time....this is all conjecture. Fun, and time-passing, sure, but in no way definitive.

Still....unless we know what the global order count was just before Australia opened for business on 3/31 their time....this is all conjecture. Fun, and time-passing, sure, but in no way definitive.

I think somewhere upthread there was someone who claimed to be a Tesla employee and who reserved as soon as he/she could. Ended up with an ID of 351,xxx.

EDIT: Here it is Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla