Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post A Picture Of Your Car Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hamilton SC. With a green MS NY plates.

ytybu8ag.jpg

Charging at JFK. One spot was ICEd by an Escalade Limo and the other by a cab driver. He was chatting with the tech repairing one of the stalls. He moved.

uma2ytur.jpg

Great picture of the open door of a Supercharger Cabinet. I think this is the first posting of the front of a Supercharger Cabinet with the door open.

It's pretty easy to see the 12 charging modules inside the cabinet. The two large, green circuit boards on the door seem to be very similar, but not identical. The connections on the upper right of the door are probably to the cellular data modem on the outside of the door.

Do you have a higher resolution version of this picture or other pictures of the open Supercharger Cabinet?

Posted the pictures out of order; 2nd pic is Centralia WA yesterday just after the start of our 12,000 mile Elektrik Trek meandering through US states, up to eastern Canada, down to New York, and back home. Spud is carefully overseeing the supercharging process.

First pic is at Springfield OR today. I had two pictures, one with Spud upright facing the camera, but this one is posted because it also shows:
1. It's windy; Spud got knocked over on the roof, just as -
2. Discoducky was pulling in to charge, on his way to Tesla-land with his winsome family to start his job there (great to meet you and your family, DD!)
3. Parked grey non-charging Model S just behind Discoducky's blue
4. Oh yeah, my grey Sparky juicing it up.

(A bit later, new acquaintances Jacob and Virginia pulled in with their brown but I forgot to get his TMC handle.)

Attachments

• ET-GrantsPassSC.jpg
    ET-GrantsPassSC.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 448
  • ET-CentraliaSC.jpg
    ET-CentraliaSC.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
40 amp charging on 120 volts

How did you do this?

It seems that cars built fairly recently are capable of 40 amp charging on 120 volts. To test this, I temporarily wired my 6-50 outlet so one formerly hot side (and it only works if you get the correct side, the UMC shows a red light and will not charge if you pick the incorrect side) went to neutral instead of to the 50A breaker. I have the single charger, built March 2014, 85KWH. Don't try this unless you know what you are doing.

It seems that cars built fairly recently are capable of 40 amp charging on 120 volts. To test this, I temporarily wired my 6-50 outlet so one formerly hot side (and it only works if you get the correct side, the UMC shows a red light and will not charge if you pick the incorrect side) went to neutral instead of to the 50A breaker. I have the single charger, built March 2014, 85KWH. Don't try this unless you know what you are doing.

Great experiment!

This is a good extension of the info that was found charging from a TT-30, 120V/30A, 30-Amp, RV outlet. There it was found that older MS's were limited to 20 Amps, while newer MS's could take the full 24 Amps available. You have shown that the 120 Volt limit on newer MS's is at least 40 Amps.

I'm not sure what use the information is, but it would be interesting to see if a newer MS could take 80 Amps at 120 Volts if it had dual chargers. :rolleyes:

I installed (completed really) a two EVSE installation in my garage on Saturday. A Clipper Creek HCS-60 to charge my Model S, and a Clipper Creek HCS-40 to charge my wife's FFE. Along with a 100A sub-panel where they both are powered from. All three devices are installed on Aluminum back plates, which are then pipe clamped to a central column in my garage. I ran 1 1/2" EMC (conduit) to the sub-panel from my main breaker on the side of the garage. Both EVSEs use factory flex to go directly into the sub-panel.

My garage is messy, otherwise it would look really good. And I have to move the black rolling racking, as it no longer fits in it's old home.

WP_20140602_007.jpg

WP_20140602_008.jpg

WP_20140602_003.jpg

WP_20140602_004.jpg

Thanks, Zapped!

This was the route I was most concerned about when ordering the car: ~825km round trip, no charging for 407km at a stretch and no cellular coverage for the majority of that distance! (Pretty much the ends of the earth :rolleyes:) As I predicted, I had no trouble making it the 407km. However, I did have to drive 15 kph under the speed limit in order to do so (RATED range is very optimistic in my experience).

It was oddly relaxing not needing to worry about overtaking anyone on the highway or being held up by slower-moving vehicles. Fortunately, it is a pretty low-traffic highway so I didn't create any massive convoys. Had that been the case, I would have pulled over every so often to relieve the pressure.

Pretty much my only disappointment with the car is just how hard it is to achieve RATED range (IDEAL range isn't even on the right planet!). Yes, I did a max charge and pre-heated the cabin before starting off. Didn't make much difference.

Congrats! Nice to see you getting out and about in the middle of the continent! I think you will find that as it gets into summer, you will get closer to rated range, or even above it. Also, check your tire pressures. The 21" have a big sticky contact patch. Lastly, check the wind direction. If you are lucky enough to do that 400 km run with a tailwind sometime, you will find it easy.

Cheers,
V

Had to get some dino juice for the BCS tractor for some work around the house.

Got a question at the pump, "Isn't that all electric?" I answered, "Yes, but I need dino juice for the tractor at home..." The general public is learning about Teslas!

The 5 gallon gas can fits perfectly in a Roadster trunk. :cool:

Gassing Up.JPG

NOLA_Mike, that car in the post above is absolutely gorgeous.

Charging in Palm Desert next to someone staying at the resort, by the tag on their dash. I feel their pain making sure no one on their left dings them! I plugged in my car and went across to the nearby mall to find something to do; what do you know but the movie theatre playing Edge of Tomorrow 3D started in 10 minutes. When the movie finished I turned on the air conditioning on the 100+ day and went back to the car. It was a 40A charger and once we got back to our hotel in Palm Springs we were back to the same rated range that we were when we left this morning. But we enjoyed the movie, and it was like a trip to Palm Desert for free! :)

Attachments

• ET-ChargingPalmSprings-1.jpg
    ET-ChargingPalmSprings-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 414
NOLA_Mike, that car in the post above is absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks! Don't see too many Teslas down here in the deep south but when I came out there was a white Model S charging next to me. 208V @ 30A only got me about 16 miles range for my hour shopping in Whole Foods but we take whatever we can get here. Nearest supercharger to me is about 400 miles away...

Mike