Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had my Model X P90DL for a little over a week. Its a great crossover SUV and I really do enjoy driving it. Here is my initial list of issues/concerns/minor annoyances:

1. Initial Concerns are mostly with Quality Control of the rubber moulding. There are several visible gaps and areas where I think the adhesive just isn't strong enough to keep the rubber mouldings in place. My driver's side FWD suffers from a deformed moulding, so now when the door closes, it squeaks everytime. (video link below)
2. Front Door Auto Present - There have been several times that I just wanted grab items from the trunk and even though I parked the X into the garage in reverse, when I walk up to the trunk, the front door will open. The door will automatically close when I walk away, however, its probably a little too sensitive for my taste.
3. Door Sensors - While they work well 90% of the time, there have been moments where the FWD haven't opened fully, even though there is enough space for them to do so. Another issue with the front and passenger doors is they will automatically open as wide as they can, however, if there is a car parked just at the right distance away the edge of the door (where I assume there are no sensors) has hit the adjacent car a couple times.

Overall nothing major, just minor annoyances.

If you're interested in viewing the images of the moulding gaps you can take a look here : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dc77zv10ujjmxbc/AAD5QyznWycbzd0Mh77uQ4JDa?dl=0

I've also uploaded a video of a squeaking noise when the Driver's Side FWD closes. The cause of the noise is a deformed piece of rubber moulding

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dc77zv10ujjmxbc/AAD5QyznWycbzd0Mh77uQ4JDa?lst=&preview=FWD+-+Drivers+Side+Closing+Squeak.mov[/video]

So I've had my Model X P90DL for a little over a week. Its a great crossover SUV and I really do enjoy driving it. Here is my initial list of issues/concerns/minor annoyances:

1. Initial Concerns are mostly with Quality Control of the rubber moulding. There are several visible gaps and areas where I think the adhesive just isn't strong enough to keep the rubber mouldings in place. My driver's side FWD suffers from a deformed moulding, so now when the door closes, it squeaks everytime. (video link below)
2. Front Door Auto Present - There have been several times that I just wanted grab items from the trunk and even though I parked the X into the garage in reverse, when I walk up to the trunk, the front door will open. The door will automatically close when I walk away, however, its probably a little too sensitive for my taste.
3. Door Sensors - While they work well 90% of the time, there have been moments where the FWD haven't opened fully, even though there is enough space for them to do so. Another issue with the front and passenger doors is they will automatically open as wide as they can, however, if there is a car parked just at the right distance away the edge of the door (where I assume there are no sensors) has hit the adjacent car a couple times.

If you're interested in viewing the images of the moulding gaps you can take a look here : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dc77zv10ujjmxbc/AAD5QyznWycbzd0Mh77uQ4JDa?dl=0

I've also uploaded a video of a squeaking noise when the Driver's Side FWD closes. The cause of the noise is a deformed piece of rubber moulding

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dc77zv10ujjmxbc/AAD5QyznWycbzd0Mh77uQ4JDa?lst=&preview=FWD+-+Drivers+Side+Closing+Squeak.mov[/video]

When the FWD hit the other parked cars does it leave any damage to either of the doors? I've heard that there is a little bit of rubber on the lower edge of the FWD so that hits first.

Yes I noticed that it was doing that but then I turned off auto-present because it was driving me nuts in the garage. Thanks for inviting me today. We enjoyed it.

Really enjoy the auto presenting doors for outings, but not so much in the garage as you say. Tesla should consider a small physical slide switch someplace on the fob to quickly enable/disable this feature remotely. Or through the mobile app at minimum.

Another issue with the front and passenger doors is they will automatically open as wide as they can, however, if there is a car parked just at the right distance away the edge of the door (where I assume there are no sensors) has hit the adjacent car a couple times.

Regardless of damage to another car or not, I would consider hitting adjacent cars as more than a minor annoyance. If I were one of those adjacent cars, I probably wouldn't be very understanding of your "experimental" doors unless I were a Tesla owner. Regular folks aren't going to be thrilled if they see the doors hit their car, though.. and those doors could potentially make us financial targets in those cases.

Your report is the first I've heard of hitting things with the doors, so I'm definitely interested to see how this unfolds (pun slightly intended).

Reactions: NewCow
@Zesty: Thanks for posting the photos. The Tesla Service Center will solve the issues, although there will be a wait for new parts to be installed at a future visit.

You can stop the FWD at any point by using the key fob. That should help if you need still photos of seal alignment or other operational issues.

Your left rear seat back being higher when the seat is folded is interesting. Tesla had to replace my rear seats due to a change to the seat mechanism. Hopefully an adjustment can take care of it.

The third folding seat back area needs examination by every Model X owner to check if the wiring is positioned without binding when the seats are raised to a open position. IMHO, I would think this is an area that is being checked by Tesla. However, after examination, mine needed to have a seat heat wire repositioned at the connection terminal. For those with seat heat, you can check both sides and compare. The third row seat wires are very visible from behind when the trunk load floor is removed or in the low position.

Another area to check are the third row carpeted seat backs to make sure the carpet is not being bent out of shape at the bottom corners. Take care when raising the seat backs from the cargo position. Pulling the handle of the trunk load floor towards the rear bumper will provide more room for the carpet backs to move without binding.

- - - Updated - - -

Really enjoy the auto presenting doors for outings, but not so much in the garage as you say. Tesla should consider a small physical slide switch someplace on the fob to quickly enable/disable this feature remotely. Or through the mobile app at minimum.
Yes! I agree. There may be an easier software fix.

Since the GPS knows the vehicle is at home, I would like the auto open doors feature to be de-selectable as a setting for home or work locations.

As I have mentioned in another thread, Model X doesn't see my wooden post in the garage near the front passenger door. I have bubble wrapped the post to cushion the door if needed.

Last edited:
@Zesty: Thanks for posting the photos. The Tesla Service Center will solve the issues, although there will be a wait for new parts to be installed at a future visit.

You can stop the FWD at any point by using the key fob. That should help if you need still photos of seal alignment or other operational issues.

Your left rear seat back being higher when the seat is folded is interesting. Tesla had to replace my rear seats due to a change to the seat mechanism. Hopefully an adjustment can take care of it.

The third folding seat back area needs examination by every Model X owner to check if the wiring is positioned without binding when the seats are raised to a open position. IMHO, I would think this is an area that is being checked by Tesla. However, after examination, mine needed to have a seat heat wire repositioned at the connection terminal. For those with seat heat, you can check both sides and compare. The third row seat wires are very visible from behind when the trunk load floor is removed or in the low position.

Another area to check are the third row carpeted seat backs to make sure the carpet is not being bent out of shape at the bottom corners. Take care when raising the seat backs from the cargo position. Pulling the handle of the trunk load floor towards the rear bumper will provide more room for the carpet backs to move without binding.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! I agree. There may be an easier software fix.

Since the GPS knows the vehicle is at home, I would like the auto open doors feature to be de-selectable as a setting for home or work locations.

As I have mentioned in another thread, Model X doesn't see my wooden post in the garage near the front passenger door. I have bubble wrapped the post to cushion the door if needed.

Of course, excellent idea - location aware enable/disable would be even better!

Someone or something (glue) had a bad day at the factory. I wonder how is that no one caught it at the factory or store.

Seems like it could be triggered by location, like how the suspension can raise itself in certain pre-programmed locations.

Zesty, was yours a signature? I'm curious because I remember reading that they had to rework door seals by hand on some signatures and I'm wondering if this is the product of that endeavor.

I would like that feature even on the Model S. It bugs me that the door handles present constantly when I'm walking around the garage. Location and/or time based.

I agree. The handles on my S extend all the time. In fact, we'll have the S and the X in the garage at the same time in a few days and that's going to be annoying if I carry both FOBs.