Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can answer two of your questions. They do wire under eaves. That’s how we are having ours done. Told they will paint to match background color.

You likely will have a SolarEdge inverter and it uses optimizers with the Q-Cell panels. We have a chance of our palms casting a shadow across part of our panels down the road and that system will adjust for partial shade and not drop all your panels to a lower production.
Perfect, Thanks! We don't get super hot here so my guess is I can leave the inverters outside.
Crazy text just put my install for this coming Monday. Can't believe how fast things happened. I signed the contract Tuesday.

Reactions: willow_hiller
No way I'll be able to get the HPWC done before the install. Hope I can add to PW backup after...
I don’t think you will necessarily need to actually install the HPWC in advance. All you should need is a designated circuit (breaker) you want backed up. Then you can have it wired to the HPWC after the fact and it will be backed up.
Although I don’t really see a point of backing up the HPWC because it will just drain your power wall(s) into your car with no way to pull it back.

I don’t think you will necessarily need to actually install the HPWC in advance. All you should need is a designated circuit (breaker) you want backed up. Then you can have it wired to the HPWC after the fact and it will be backed up.
Although I don’t really see a point of backing up the HPWC because it will just drain your power wall(s) into your car with no way to pull it back.

Depending on solar array size and usage, having the Tesla charging circuit backed up provides more flexibility for long-term outages. It won't get you across the state, but it will get you to the store and back.

I’ve thought about this for a while. In the case of a power outage I’ll be able to charge my cars at a much better rate than 5mph. I’ll have enough solar to fill the power walls and my cars during the day and can last through the night with the reserve should the outage occur at night. Am I missing something?

Here's one of the proposed layout that Tesla provided estimating 5418 kWh production from last year. We did eventually get Tesla to reposition the panels to all be south facing resulting in over 16% additional production.

low proposal.png

I didn't realize that I could go larger than the XL system at 16.32 kW. Apparently, I can... I asked Tesla to max out my roof, and they sent me a 17 kW layout. I have pool solar panels on the west side of the house, so no room there.

Only change, is that I plan to go with 4 Powerwalls instead of the 3 listed on the layout.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 07.27.43.png

Last edited:
Reactions: willow_hiller
I didn't realize that I could go larger than the XL system at 16.32 kW. Apparently, I can... I asked Tesla to max out my roof, and they sent me a 17 kW layout. I have pool solar panels on the west side of the house, so no room there.

Only change, is that I plan to go with 4 Powerwalls instead of the 3 listed on the layout.

View attachment 560038

Wow so what will your total system be then?

View attachment 560038

That’s some serious power. Nice! Your roof will be doing a lot more for you now than just keeping you dry. And also nice that the front faces north with nothing on it.