Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve thought about this for a while. In the case of a power outage I’ll be able to charge my cars at a much better rate than 5mph. I’ll have enough solar to fill the power walls and my cars during the day and can last through the night with the reserve should the outage occur at night. Am I missing something?
OK let’s say that you have 100 kW battery in a Model S.
That’s around 7+ powerwalls worth of storage. If I have a power failure I want to keep our house running as long as possible theoretically to outlast the power failure. Now, if we had bidirectional charging and we could just suck it out of the Tesla’s - that would be awesome in an extended power failure. Although I’ve never experienced a power failure that even comes close to 24 hours in my entire lifetime and I am in my early 60s.
And it is really easy just to run our Tesla’s over to a supercharger and charge them back up. Not so easy to take your house over supercharger.
I keep my power wall at 80% in case of a failure. It only charges from the sun.
I just don’t see the point of charging from the power walls - it’s just moving it from one battery to another that can’t be moved back.
This is all from my personal situation where we have net meter pricing. So basically storing it to the grid has no more cost than throwing it back on to the powerwall. Therefore any potential overproduction benefits become irrelevant.

OK let’s say that you have 100 kW battery in a Model S.
That’s around 7+ powerwalls worth of storage. If I have a power failure I want to keep our house running as long as possible theoretically to outlast the power failure. Now, if we had bidirectional charging and we could just suck it out of the Tesla’s - that would be awesome in an extended power failure. Although I’ve never experienced a power failure that even comes close to 24 hours in my entire lifetime and I am in my early 60s.
And it is really easy just to run our Tesla’s over to a supercharger and charge them back up. Not so easy to take your house over supercharger.
I keep my power wall at 80% in case of a failure. It only charges from the sun.
I just don’t see the point of charging from the power walls - it’s just moving it from one battery to another that can’t be moved back.
This is all from my personal situation where we have net meter pricing. So basically storing it to the grid has no more cost than throwing it back on to the powerwall. Therefore any potential overproduction benefits become irrelevant.

apparently I have two logins depending on the device I use. This is chispa

I may have misunderstood the solar plus powerwall off grid? If the power goes out at night I realize I can only get power from the powerwall. When I’m producing power via solar will the non powerwall circuits work? If they do I will not have my car on backup. If not I’ll include it as I understand that I have an option to default to not charge my 3.
I had no intent to move power from the Powerwalls to my car. I simply want to charge my car while producing power at a higher rate than a wall plug. The idea is if power is out for an extended period I expect the super chargers will be busy.

apparently I have two logins depending on the device I use. This is chispa

I may have misunderstood the solar plus powerwall off grid? If the power goes out at night I realize I can only get power from the powerwall. When I’m producing power via solar will the non powerwall circuits work? If they do I will not have my car on backup. If not I’ll include it as I understand that I have an option to default to not charge my 3.
I had no intent to move power from the Powerwalls to my car. I simply want to charge my car while producing power at a higher rate than a wall plug. The idea is if power is out for an extended period I expect the super chargers will be busy.
Everybody has a different situation, although I have yet to experience a power failure at all since I installed my powerwall.
I have a very small system. Definitely nothing close to an off grid system in fact I’ve never produced more that I’ve used. I’m almost like hoping for a power failure so that I can see the benefits.:)

Last edited:

When the power is out only your backed up circuits will work. They will get power from the powerwall, from solar, or a combination of the two, depending on how much solar is being produced at any given time.

The non backed up circuits will not have power at all during an outage.

The other concern about supercharges is that depending on how close you are to the supercharger and how widespread the outage is it’s quite possible that the supercharger will not have power either.

When the power is out only your backed up circuits will work. They will get power from the powerwall, from solar, or a combination of the two, depending on how much solar is being produced at any given time.

The non backed up circuits will not have power at all during an outage.

The other concern about supercharges is that depending on how close you are to the supercharger and how widespread the outage is it’s quite possible that the supercharger will not have power either.

thank you for clarifying. Looks like I’ll be including the hpwc with the backup, but won’t use it during an outage.

Waiting on the permit for my small system. Moved two roof vents to make the rectangle layout work and to fit the newer large panels.

North is up in the diagram, it's a west facing array.

layout.jpeg

Herewith, my fate. I'm not going to move the two bathroom exhaust fan vents and the one toilet vent that knock that hole in the southeast layout.

Sure, it's a hole. But it's a hole that is not street-visible, not neighbor-visible, and on a side of the house I only visit once a month at most. It's the space between our house and our neighbor. Our outdoor space is to the southwest.

We have no shade hitting the roof and won't for years even if the Queen palms next door thrive. The production estimate for this layout is 24MWh. June bill was 2300 kWh, same as May, mainly 2 AC systems and a pool pump. Gas cooktop, grill, pool heater, water heater, and clothes dryer with no intent to change any of these any time soon. No EVs at the moment, but possible in 2022-23.

Our layout does not meet 100% of our estimated needs. We're Duke Energy, tiered 1:1 net metering. I'm thinking about adding panels to that south-facing section to the west of the pie wedge, but it's at a steeper pitch than the rest of the install. No PW in this build, I'm going to let Duke be my battery since we're not on TOU.

Duke sells at ~12 cents for the first 1,000 kWh then ~13 cents to infinity and annual reconciliation is 2.5 cents so I don't want to oversize. We moved here in April so we don't have actual annual usage.

Thoughts on adding panels?

plan1.png

I’ve thought about this for a while. In the case of a power outage I’ll be able to charge my cars at a much better rate than 5mph. I’ll have enough solar to fill the power walls and my cars during the day and can last through the night with the reserve should the outage occur at night. Am I missing something?

We had our NEMA 14-50 backed up by our 3 Powerwalls. For the greatest flexibility in charging or not charging, depending on the urgency of the situation or power outage. (read: PG&E's wildfire power shut off). Had we not had the Powerwalls on the backed up circuits too, we wouldn't be able to charge the Teslas during an outage/emergency and potentially regret it.

Last edited:
Herewith, my fate. I'm not going to move the two bathroom exhaust fan vents and the one toilet vent that knock that hole in the southeast layout.

Sure, it's a hole. But it's a hole that is not street-visible, not neighbor-visible, and on a side of the house I only visit once a month at most. It's the space between our house and our neighbor. Our outdoor space is to the southwest.

We have no shade hitting the roof and won't for years even if the Queen palms next door thrive. The production estimate for this layout is 24MWh. June bill was 2300 kWh, same as May, mainly 2 AC systems and a pool pump. Gas cooktop, grill, pool heater, water heater, and clothes dryer with no intent to change any of these any time soon. No EVs at the moment, but possible in 2022-23.

Our layout does not meet 100% of our estimated needs. We're Duke Energy, tiered 1:1 net metering. I'm thinking about adding panels to that south-facing section to the west of the pie wedge, but it's at a steeper pitch than the rest of the install. No PW in this build, I'm going to let Duke be my battery since we're not on TOU.

Duke sells at ~12 cents for the first 1,000 kWh then ~13 cents to infinity and annual reconciliation is 2.5 cents so I don't want to oversize. We moved here in April so we don't have actual annual usage.

Thoughts on adding panels?

View attachment 560405

I would definitely got for at least 110% of annual usage. The incremental cost is not all that much (cheaper to do now than modify later), and you have the space for it. You also have to think about degradation and the fact that you’ll probably be using more power in 5 years than you are now. Solar systems are long-term investments.

For those who have ordered since the 340 watt panel announcement, how are your orders progressing?

I ordered on June 21, ran into an issue with how their system was auto-filling my utility interconnect agreement on June 26, and I've been waiting for a fix ever since. They're very apologetic every time I call, but it sounds like they're slammed with orders right now.

Has anyone been lucky enough to schedule an install date, yet?

For those who have ordered since the 340 watt panel announcement, how are your orders progressing?

I ordered on June 21, ran into an issue with how their system was auto-filling my utility interconnect agreement on June 26, and I've been waiting for a fix ever since. They're very apologetic every time I call, but it sounds like they're slammed with orders right now.

Would be great to know. I ordered on July 2 just to make sure it got done this year. Now my hopes are up because others in SoCal seem to be measuring time from order to install in weeks.

My hopes are also up because they sent the preliminary plans the same day. Although that must have been auto-generated.

Reactions: willow_hiller

I ordered before the changes, but I have since switched over to the new panels and pricing. I am still waiting on the technical plans.

• Helpful
I ordered a week before the change, was moved to the new panel and pricing the Friday they released it(at my request), building permit was approved on 6/29, and now waiting on them to submit my interconnect to HECO(Oahu-Hawaii). Once HECO approves then I can get an install date.

Wow, I'm envious of the pace of your install. Tesla is waiting to fix my interconnect form, and after that I've been told it will probably take a full 4 weeks for permits due to the COVID-19 backlog.

Wow, I'm envious of the pace of your install. Tesla is waiting to fix my interconnect form, and after that I've been told it will probably take a full 4 weeks for permits due to the COVID-19 backlog.

Don’t be envious just yet lol, the HECO approval can be a long back and forth process from what I hear. Anywhere from a few weeks to several months. I’ve been told it’ll be submitted “soon” a few times, so we’ll see when it even gets sent in.