Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to finalize between installing Tesla and a local vendor that uses LG360 Neon 2 panels. Both are using different layouts, so wondering if Tesla is optimized. My house is east/west facing, and the local vendor plans to install all 20 panels on the east facing roof which gets the most sun. Tesla layout suggests they will install on both east and west facing roof.

A 7.2 kw LG system with generate 7,143 kwh, where as the Tesla 8.16kw system is quoted to generate 7,549 kwh. Looking at PVWatts, for my location, the 7.2kw should generate 8,698 kwh and 8.16kw about 9,858 kwh. Should I believe the PVWatts numbers or the numbers being quoted by the installers? Fortunately, the vendor numbers are lower, so safer to be conservative.

Attachments

• Tesla layout.JPG
    Tesla layout.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 186
I am trying to finalize between installing Tesla and a local vendor that uses LG360 Neon 2 panels. Both are using different layouts, so wondering if Tesla is optimized. My house is east/west facing, and the local vendor plans to install all 20 panels on the east facing roof which gets the most sun. Tesla layout suggests they will install on both east and west facing roof.

A 7.2 kw LG system with generate 7,143 kwh, where as the Tesla 8.16kw system is quoted to generate 7,549 kwh. Looking at PVWatts, for my location, the 7.2kw should generate 8,698 kwh and 8.16kw about 9,858 kwh. Should I believe the PVWatts numbers or the numbers being quoted by the installers? Fortunately, the vendor numbers are lower, so safer to be conservative.

My only comment would be to prioritize west-facing over east-facing.

I posted this on my original thread but thought I'd add it here, as well, as it pertains to layout question.

I just spoke with my project advisor and discussed the east/west layout situation. I was told that given my usage, they designed the layout to make sure it does not surpass my historical usage. So, essentially, rather than optimizing the production, they are designing the layout to just generate enough, and make sure it gets approved by the utility.

Not a wrong approach, but it also means I am overpaying. By not optimizing the layout, they're using more panels than what I'd ideally require. Using PVWatts and the east/west split, 20 east facing LG360 panels will generate 8.64kw, where as 24 Tesla panels (15 facing east, 9 facing west) will generate 8.81 kw. The 4 extra panels completely negates the cost benefits.

My only comment would be to prioritize west-facing over east-facing.
Without knowing more about the specifics, I'm not sure whether this would be true.

I can see where west-facing is beneficial if you have time of use rates, or (in this case since more panels are east-facing) if you want to have a more balanced profile to be more self-sufficient or because the utility doesn't have full net metering available.

On the other hand, I would expect east-facing to be more productive as the weather is likely to be a bit cooler and probably less cloudy in the morning. With full net metering, it is likely that east-facing panels would give you slightly more bang for your buck.

In this case east-facing also has the benefit that it is really an ESE/WNW orientation.

But a lot of this really does come down to the specifics of the location - some places get frequent morning fog or afternoon storms, and utility rules vary widely. There may also be specific obstructions in play. And, some customers are focused on net cost where others prioritize self-sufficiency or aesthetics.

Reactions: willow_hiller
I posted this on my original thread but thought I'd add it here, as well, as it pertains to layout question.

I just spoke with my project advisor and discussed the east/west layout situation. I was told that given my usage, they designed the layout to make sure it does not surpass my historical usage. So, essentially, rather than optimizing the production, they are designing the layout to just generate enough, and make sure it gets approved by the utility.

Not a wrong approach, but it also means I am overpaying. By not optimizing the layout, they're using more panels than what I'd ideally require. Using PVWatts and the east/west split, 20 east facing LG360 panels will generate 8.64kw, where as 24 Tesla panels (15 facing east, 9 facing west) will generate 8.81 kw. The 4 extra panels completely negates the cost benefits.

Unless something has changed with Tesla, ask them for an 18-20 panel layout all facing east. They will reduce the number of panels (minimum 12, it appears) on request.

Here's my latest layout. My question is, would I be better moving the 4 panels on the far left that are blocked by a tree from the morning sun and move them to the east/west facing sides? Here in Florida we usually get hours of west sun in the afternoon so it would seem to make sense to put more on the west side. Any suggestions?

layout.PNG
System1.PNG

My question is, would I be better moving the 4 panels on the far left that are blocked by a tree from the morning sun and move them to the east/west facing sides? Here in Florida we usually get hours of west sun in the afternoon so it would seem to make sense to put more on the west side. Any suggestions?

Probably depends on how long the panels are blocked by shade, and whether a ToU plan would increase the value of late-afternoon electricity. If you're able to eliminate the shade by tree-trimming and keep the panels facing South, that's probably the most efficient route. If you've got a time-of-use plan that would reward extra production in the evening, then West facing panels can sometimes be as cost-efficient as South facing panels.

Probably depends on how long the panels are blocked by shade, and whether a ToU plan would increase the value of late-afternoon electricity. If you're able to eliminate the shade by tree-trimming and keep the panels facing South, that's probably the most efficient route. If you've got a time-of-use plan that would reward extra production in the evening, then West facing panels can sometimes be as cost-efficient as South facing panels.

They'll be blocked in the summer until at least 9 or 10. No TOU, same rates all the time. Can't trim the tree as it's the neighbors. Thanks for the info.

31 panels on a flat roof.
Is Tesla start doing installs on flat roofs now?

What is the tilt-angle on those panels - I have panels mounted on nearly flat roof (about 3-4 degrees) and one issue I have is that the angle is not steep enough to allow rain and dew to wash dirt off over the edge of the frame. I end up with heavy soiling across one row of panels, so have to dust the panels a couple times a year. I would recommend at least a 10* mounting angle to avoid this type of soiling which would eliminate the need for regular cleanings in most areas.

Is Tesla start doing installs on flat roofs now?

What is the tilt-angle on those panels - I have panels mounted on nearly flat roof (about 3-4 degrees) and one issue I have is that the angle is not steep enough to allow rain and dew to wash dirt off over the edge of the frame. I end up with heavy soiling across one row of panels, so have to dust the panels a couple times a year. I would recommend at least a 10* mounting angle to avoid this type of soiling which would eliminate the need for regular cleanings in most areas.

Huh that's interesting, I hadn't thought about that.

Hello All,

Layout provided to me from Tesla is as shown bellow, when I specifically requested that I would like panels to be placed at back side of roof of the house which is south west side and being best for sun exposure.
I got multiple quotes from other vendors - and all of them provided me layout at back side roof south west side.
Reason provided by Tesla for placing all panels on front side roof of the house (north east side) is that it has no shade.
Is there a way I can get tesla to change and install panels on south west side.
upload_2020-12-22_18-14-51.png

upload_2020-12-22_18-8-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-22_18-7-35.png
    upload_2020-12-22_18-7-35.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 98
Hello All,

Layout provided to me from Tesla is as shown bellow, when I specifically requested that I would like panels to be placed at back side of roof of the house which is south west side and being best for sun exposure.
I got multiple quotes from other vendors - and all of them provided me layout at back side roof south west side.
Reason provided by Tesla for placing all panels on front side roof of the house (north east side) is that it has no shade.
Is there a way I can get tesla to change and install panels on south west side.
View attachment 620220
View attachment 620215
shade is a killer

My installation starts next week! 16.9 kWh and 2 Powerwalls (layout indicates 3 Powerwalls and 17.4 kWh), however the person submitting the permit only submitted for 16.9 and 2 PWs. I was told I could resubmit and move to end of line for installation or proceed as incorrectly permitted with install next week. I'm choosing to move forward with install, especially as TOU billing is likely 2-5 years out and by then maybe I can get the next gen PW. Installer confirmed I'll have the newer underlayment (Cobalt over Firestone) as too cold to install firestone, and also confirm I'll still have Delta inverters over the new Tesla ones as they aren't in stock yet.
Screenshot_2021-01-22 4578178_20201030_14261747_Customer-Layout(1) pdf.png
Screenshot_2021-01-22 4578178_20201030_14261747_Customer-Layout(1) pdf(1).png