TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pothole > Blow out > Bottomed out > Bummed out

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by NikeWings, Sep 2, 2018.

1. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

IMG_1714.JPG IMG_1713.JPG IMG_1712.JPG

Snagged a massive pot hole, :eek: blew two tires (FR and RR) and sunk deep knocking the nose out of alignment. It was almost midnight and roadside assistance saved me within 30 minutes with two wheels.

The SvC returned my wheels with new tires the next day and also realigned the nose perfectly. But I've got this deep gouge in the plastic just under the nose where it banged the road on the way down.

Any "been there, done that's" around? Grind or sand it down, or replace?

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. BigCity

BigCity Member

Damn, now that is a pot hole, I had the same issue about a month ago, both right side tires and both aftermarket rims bent, but didn't get into the body at all. Sorry about your luck. No clue on how to fix it, take it to a body shop and get their opinion, guessing it will depend on how deep the scratches are between fixing and replacing.

3. ohm-ms

ohm-ms Member

The arachnids survived without damage? That’s impressive for a 21” rim. I wonder if a turbine would have fared as well?

4. nybw51mr42

nybw51mr42 Member

I was going to ask the same, no damage to the arachnids?

5. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

At the time I was driving Turbines which I love. The front wheel was cracked and scraped badly but the back sustained only a blow out. Arachnids had been sitting in the garage so a good time to finally swap them out.

• Like x 1
  6. Tezzie

Tezzie Member

OMG! I'm so sorry this happened! After reading this, I put my suspension to the HIGH setting!

• Funny x 2
  7. ksb467

ksb467 Member

If it is just marking over the paint, try light spray of wd40, followed by light rub of mr clean magic erase pad, only on the impacted area. Good luck

• Helpful x 2
  8. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Oh I wish. Some of it is deeply gouged from that momentary skid with the decrepit street.
    I made an appointment, might as well get it fixed right although I was very tempted to use my dads electric sander.
    I still might. :D

9. Tezzie

Tezzie Member

Back away from the sander, @ksb467. I like your German SHP, BTW.

• Like x 1
  10. Raechris

Raechris Member

Check the town state - sometimes they have a fund for excessive potholes that cause damage. Theory is it didn’t get that big in a week and should have been patched so their failure to maintain wi reasonable time.