Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Conversion System (PCS) failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Happy to send to anyone who needs it a copy of mine, but I wouldn’t expect it to be a silver bullet that means you would get it free as well.

When I went to pick up my car, I brought coffee and donuts for the entire service team. Why? Because I admit is sort of a gray area, but in the end they sided with my logic after a respectful discussion.

This was also during a time where I really didn’t want to bring my car into service unless absolutely necessary, because my SC was so overloaded they had to open on Sunday’s until SC’s opened in nearby cities. This was during the Model Y ramp.
Hi. Could I take you up on that offer to get a copy of your invoice please ([email protected])? Like others, my 2018 M3's PCS has 1 failed module that was likely there for years & undetected by me until I finally installed 48A EVSEs, & now being out of the basic warranty my service center wants to charge me for the replacement. Thanks!

Ive been having issues installing my recent update now tesla is saying it might be a pcs issue. I did install a 1000watt amp recently im hoping this didnt cause the issue. Im going to remove my aftermarket stereo and hansshow kit before i take it in to them.
I think it is most likely your 12v battery. It was the case for my car until I finally figured it out. When updating the firmware and reaching 60% install mark, the HV connection disconnects and the 12v has to continue performing the update w/o being charged. This is when the update usually fails. Once the 12v battery drops below a certain threshold, the update aborts. Even with the amp off, there is a small current draw which weakens the battery over time.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
I think it is most likely your 12v battery. It was the case for my car until I finally figured it out. When updating the firmware and reaching 60% install mark, the HV connection disconnects and the 12v has to continue performing the update w/o being charged. This is when the update usually fails. Once the 12v battery drops below a certain threshold, the update aborts. Even with the amp off, there is a small current draw which weakens the battery over time.
Thanks for the input. Maybe I should try with a trickle charger connected next time? I had to take my car in last month for them to diag the pcs and push the update and everything came back normal. As of today i am having the same issue with the newest update failing. 😞

Add me to the huge list of people who have had this issue with the 2018 LR 3. Seems to me like there should be a class action lawsuit on a critical part which has a very high failure rate.
I agree that a class action lawsuit is warranted. To repeat myself for the umpteenth time, the electrical components in the High Voltage Battery service panel should be covered under the High Voltage Battery Warranty. Dodging that reality with legalese arguments is pathetic.

Add me to the huge list of people who have had this issue with the 2018 LR 3. Seems to me like there should be a class action lawsuit on a critical part which has a very high failure rate.
Scary. I have the same year and model and I've read quite a few PCS failures here.
Did Tesla give you a quote to fix it? Dumb question but does this affect SC also?

Scary. I have the same year and model and I've read quite a few PCS failures here.
Did Tesla give you a quote to fix it? Dumb question but does this affect SC also?
The problem is in the on-board charger portion of the PCS. This component is completely bypassed during DC Fast charging. So, you can use a Supercharger or other DC charger without problem if your PCS has partially or completely failed.

I know I was affected by and mine was built in October of 2018
Lucky for me I had Tesla cover it under a Goodwill service this year when it failed.
Only because originally they told me via the app that it would be covered under the high voltage battery warranty and then the service advisor told me that it wasn't but yet I already approved the invoice and all and made the appointment for it being covered and had to fight tooth and nail and had to get the service manager involved. I was very surprised by the service manager he immediately said don't worry we're going to cover it under a Goodwill service but future reference this technically is not covered under high voltage battery warranty.
And at the time it was going to be $1,800 I believe but the service manager covered it under a Goodwill service. Thank God

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202_163303.jpg
    Screenshot_20231202_163303.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
Here's another way of looking at it. I spent $2000 on maintenance for a 5 year old car. That's $400 a year. Not bad. Because it was part of a tech service bulletin and a KNOWN issue, I still believe they should have covered it. My car is low mileage (32,000) so has not had as many charge cycles as a vehicle with double that. I'm sure had I driven and charged more (thanks, COVID) it would have failed during the warranty period.

Ugh. So much for the notion that Teslas have lower maintenance and repair costs. Even worse, unless Tesla is now installing more robust, durable, reliable PCS in their Model 3 and Y, these breakdowns will only multiply exponentially in the coming years.

I had to replace my PCS. Maintenance and repairs has been significantly less than my bmw e90, my wife’s Lexus nx, or any other ICE I’ve ever owned. I won’t even mention my parents Audi a4 😬:p.