Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power frunk coming for 2021+ Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have their unit on my Y, works great. Not sure I will install on the refresh S as the frunk is useless small in comparison to the Y or previous S. Stinky takeout food is about all that will ever be put in there as long as I order a small size that is. Happy meal should fit though. :rolleyes:
Is it that small? I had a MYP before and loved my frunk...I just assumed that the S was the same size roughly, but Ive never seen it in person. I guess ill find out next Monday lol

I would say that depends on how good the QC is on that particular car. ;)

On my S I just took delivery off, there was a big enough gap water could easily go into it from the front.
The seal at the top of the frunk chamber should fully contact the hood and prevent water ingress. If not then you will definitely need a service visit.

Or are you referring to the design gap at the front of the hood?

Hey guys do not forget that the frunk is the absolute safest location for important documents or expensive equipment in high theft areas.
Add a code for the start also.
I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic but I hope you know the frunk can be opened from the outside without a key fob.

A85E5C83-0955-4E23-BD02-9C96AEC4E469.png

Did Tesla move the high voltage cable access elsewhere?
I believe the manual release was for safety reasons, giving firefighters access to cut the cables in case of vehicle accident where power is lost.
The releases are no longer in the manual and when I installed the power frunk in my Raven I'm sure they were not present.

Your point makes sense though. I def want to check this to be sure.

Edit: Here is the 2021+ Model S Emergency Response guide. The HV cut loop is still under the hood. They only non-standard method they mention for opening the frunk is applying 12v to the wires in the tow eye but it only works if no low voltage power. They expect it to be opened by standard methods otherwise.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AMPd
The releases are no longer in the manual and when I installed the power frunk in my Raven I'm sure they were not present.

Your point makes sense though. I def want to check this to be sure.

Edit: Here is the 2021+ Model S Emergency Response guide. The HV cut loop is still under the hood. They only non-standard method they mention for opening the frunk is applying 12v to the wires in the tow eye but it only works if no low voltage power. They expect it to be opened by standard methods otherwise.
You’re right I looked through it and no mention of manual release. Glad they changed that, was never happy about the frunk having such easy access for criminals.

Reactions: Bull