Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Steering falling apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a link with detailed replacement instructions and torque specs for the Ford units, (17ft/lbs), which look different than the Tesla unit. Worth noting they say to replace the entire unit if there is separation because of broken bolts, probably concerned with contamination getting inside.

15R01 - Steering Gear Motor Bolt Corrosion - 2013-2015 Ford Fusion & Lincoln MKZ, 2015 Ford Edge

NTSA recall document https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM477698/RMISC-15V250-1357.pdf

Or the shaft snapping on the hyrdo boost pump so you lose power steering and power brakes.

Or a seal in the pump randomly failing while making a U-turn... drove my Cadillac for a week without power steering due to that.

Also had a high pressure hose split open on an earlier car.

It’s annoying, and can create an accident in certain situations, but losing power steering isn’t the end of the world.

I searched and didn't find anybody else with a similar issue.
Yesterday, all of a sudden, my steering started making some bad noises - clunks and screeches. Today I removed the tub and found 2 of the 3 bolts that mount the electric steering assist to the rack had sheared off.
Another 2 bolts, along with those 3, hold two parts of the rack together. One of those is also broken. It can't escape because it's too long to come out all the way where it's situated.
Oddly enough, there are 3 more threaded holes (exactly adjacent to the 3 used in assembly) in the electric assist; so I didn't have to drill the broken ones out. I filed them down to flush and put 3 new bolts in. (The last one was bent.)
I'm pretty sure the originals are aluminum, but being Sunday I just went to the local hardware store and bought what they had. BTW they are 8mm x 1.25, 65mm long.
View attachment 256935
View attachment 256936
Its working great again, but I wonder if I should replace the bolts with OE. I did put some anti-seize on the threads since they're dissimilar metals now.

I hope the rack stays intact.

Yowza!
Thanks for the heads up and pix.
I'd say that you're probably OK with the SS bolts and anti-seize.
It's good to see the access for service is so easy - one of the unsung virtues of the Tesla "clean sheet" design approach.

I’m new to posting here. I have had a modelS for about a month, it has extended warranty and is at 120,000 km. I was backing out of garage yesterday when my power steering failed. Electric motor makes some noise and clunking when I turn steering either direction slightly but wheels don’t move. I will be contacting a service Center Monday, but expect it might be belt gone that’s driven by motor.
Just posted this in case others have same problem and hopefully get it fixed this week.

I’m new to posting here. I have had a modelS for about a month, it has extended warranty and is at 120,000 km. I was backing out of garage yesterday when my power steering failed. Electric motor makes some noise and clunking when I turn steering either direction slightly but wheels don’t move. I will be contacting a service Center Monday, but expect it might be belt gone that’s driven by motor.
Just posted this in case others have same problem and hopefully get it fixed this week.

Clunking sounds like a loose motor. Please keep us updated.

Tesla will replace the whole rack assembly no matter what went wrong. You may have to pry a bit to find out exactly what broke.

Sounds like the same thing (bolts shearing off in the housing dropping the electric motor down) I'm going to go out on a limb here and say every tesla model s Rwd (aluminum bolts)with 120000-160000km 80000-100000 miles that has been driven in salt (northern climates) conditions will have at least one or all fasteners failed more likely then not you had it fail and are reading this right now looking at a 4500$ repair bill or if your lucky enough to read this before it fails replace the bolts with grade 8.8 M8 X1.25 65mm 70mm(1washer and 1lock washer for spacing) 2$ fix or preventive maintenance your choice

I'm calling this problem the

"EPS motor bolt failure"

Or

"EPS bolt fail"
image.jpeg

Don't be a victim

• Informative
Reactions: 22522 and cwerdna
Sounds like the same thing (bolts shearing off in the housing dropping the electric motor down) I'm going to go out on a limb here and say every tesla model s Rwd (aluminum bolts)with 120000-160000km 80000-100000 miles that has been driven in salt (northern climates) conditions will have at least one or all fasteners failed more likely then not you had it fail and are reading this right now looking at a 4500$ repair bill or if your lucky enough to read this before it fails replace the bolts with grade 8.8 M8 X1.25 65mm 70mm(1washer and 1lock washer for spacing) 2$ fix or preventive maintenance your choice

"EPS motor bolt failure"

Or

"EPS bolt fail"
View attachment 275138
Don't be a victim
Just a few questions...
- why only RWD cars?
- Repair $4500 ? (Is that CAD$ ?) The only estimate I found in this thread was US$2300
- I assume the photo you posted is looking down from the top after removal of the frunk pan ? (It's difficult to tell orientation.)
- Is this something I should/could check on my 2015 S 85D?

@brown85 I found à sheared bolt under my car when it was about six months old. The work order states they changed the steering rack but I suspect I had the same issue you had but I didn’t press them for details. Ironically I also have a 2014 vin 65xxx driven on Canadian salty roads so maybe an issue with a bad batch? Whatever the case I will be removing the frunk tub tomorrow to inspect it. We need to hold Tesla’s feet to the fire on this one. It’s an easy fix so they should change out the bolts as cars cycle through the service center and maybe be a bit more proactive in areas where climate is harsh. It would be a lot cheaper than bad press from an accident.

Reactions: mrElbe
Just a few questions...
- why only RWD cars?
- Repair $4500 ? (Is that CAD$ ?) The only estimate I found in this thread was US$2300
- I assume the photo you posted is looking down from the top after removal of the frunk pan ? (It's difficult to tell orientation.)
- Is this something I should/could check on my 2015 S 85D?
Good questions 3800$ Canadian for rack only then taxes and labor the car needs a all wheel angliment after install I will take better pics and post them tonight. The pic is looking down standing in front of drivers side headlight Now that I know there is racks with aluminum bolts (my mistake) that came out with the "D"'s cars we have to work as a commuinty to find out at which vin series that the steel bolts started to be replaced in the racks my wife's model X is in the shop they gave us a 89xxx vin p85d as a loaner I will pull the frunk out and take a peak and take some pics also this weekend I'm going to take my car apart and remove the steering rack out and see if I can get a part number of the belt to see if I can replace it should be cheap 30-100$

"EPS motor bolt failure"

Or

"EPS bolt fail"
View attachment 275138
Don't be a victim

Good place to buy said bolts?

Good questions 3800$ Canadian for rack only then taxes and labor the car needs a all wheel angliment after install I will take better pics and post them tonight. The pic is looking down standing in front of drivers side headlight Now that I know there is racks with aluminum bolts (my mistake) that came out with the "D"'s cars we have to work as a commuinty to find out at which vin series that the steel bolts started to be replaced in the racks my wife's model X is in the shop they gave us a 89xxx vin p85d as a loaner I will pull the frunk out and take a peak and take some pics also this weekend I'm going to take my car apart and remove the steering rack out and see if I can get a part number of the belt to see if I can replace it should be cheap 30-100$

Update got a quote from the tesla dealer of 2,419.00 Canadian plus tax install and "additional" hardware thinking that additional hardware is outer tie rods and maybe some brackets oh and the kicker is they have one in stock! How convenient